Black Coffee discussion

The Known World
This topic is about The Known World
2014 Group Reads > The Known World: Book Blast (Spoilers Possible)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments 1. How did you experience this book? (Paper, e-book, audio)
2. Was this your first time reading this author? Will you likely read more of their books?
3. Favorite/Least Favorite character(s)?
4. Favorite quote(s)?
5. Favorite/Least Favorite chapter/part/section of the book?
6. Was the ending satisfying?
7. Would you recommend this book to others?
8. Copy or link to your review if you have written one

You can also join in the more detailed discussion HERE!

Beverly | 1078 comments 1. Read the book when it first came out - so it was paper
2. No - I had read the author's first collection of short stories. I am not a big fan of short stories but liked that the stories took place in Washington DC during different historical periods. I believe I have read all of his fiction works (2 short story collections and 1 novel) but would be interested if he wrote another novel.
3. Do not remember if I had a fav character - but I did think the characters helped me to see more of the shades of gray to the complexities of slavery in the US
4. Do not remember any quotes
5. Overall liked the book - it as a BOM for bookclub so it did generate lots of discussion and research
6. Yes, I thought Jones told the story he wanted to tell
7. Yes I would recommend to others if interested in historical fiction

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments 1 Borrowed from the library, paper.

2 Yes, first time reading Edward P. Jones. I would be open to reading more of his books.

3 I really liked Mildred Townsend. My least favorite was the patroller that sold Augustus and chewed up his papers - I don't remember the name.

4 "Whenever people in that part of the world asked Patterson about the wonders of America, the possibilities and the hope of America, Patterson would say that it was a good and fine place but all the Americans were running it into the ground and that it would be a far better place if it had no Americans."

"Her mother had worn the dress for only a month after Caldonia's father had died. "I cannot do any more time with this dress," Maude had said when she put it away. "Wearing black makes my skin itch. Mr. Newman was a man after God's own heart but why should I suffer now that he is sitting with our Lord?""

5 Didn't really have a favorite or least favorite part of the book.

6 I thought Calvin getting to see Alice and Priscilla was a good touch. He was a good person.

7 Yes, I would.

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments 1. How did you experience this book? (Paper, e-book, audio)

Library book, hardcover

2. Was this your first time reading this author? Will you likely read more of their books?

Yes. It was my first time, and yes I would definitely read other works by him

Loved Elias & Celeste, Loved Augustus & Mildred
Despised Maude, Counsel, & Travis
Moses I merely disliked ;)

4. Favorite quote(s)?

Later

*Elias courting Celeste made my heart melt.
*Augustus and Henry's clash was written so vividly I could see it playing out in my mind.
*Augustus' encounter with Travis made me want to throw something.

Extremely. The perfect ending

Definitely

8. Copy or link to your review if you have written one

Later

message 5: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2449 comments Mod
1. How did you experience this book? (Paper, e-book, audio)

**Paper

**New to me author, but I would read more of his work.

** Favorite: Loretta
**Least: Maude

4. Favorite quote(s)?

** "Henry had always said that he wanted to be a better master than any white man he had ever known. He did not understand that the kind of world he wanted to create was doomed before he had even spoken the first syllable of the word master ."

“You too heavy a man for me to carry...I done carried heavy men and I know how they can break your back. I ain’t got but this one back and I don’t want it broke again...”

“The hitter can never be the judge. Only the receiver of the blow can tell you how hard it was, whether it would kill a man or make a baby just yawn.”
"A runaway slave was, in fact, a thief since he had stolen his master's property --- himself."

***I'm missing one where Fern is talking to Anderson (the Canadian pamphlet writer) describing Henry and Augustus. Saying that Henry isn't as beautiful as his father because he hasn't reached that maturity level yet. I'll find and post later.

**Favorite: Augustus reprimanding Henry for owning slaves.
**Least: Augustus being kidnapped and sold.

**Very

**Yes.