Casual Readers discussion

Night Film
This topic is about Night Film
Buddy Reads > Looking For Buddy Read Night Film: Marisha Pessl

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (last edited Feb 04, 2014 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Im only about 50 pages in, would anyone like to join in on reading Night Film?

Angie | 623 comments I bought the book last year and I've been waiting to read it.I'd buddy read it with you Dana. Should I set up a thread for it today?

Dana ****Reads Alot**** I had to put it on the back burner last week because of stuff going on. Im definitely ready to resume with this book if you are??

Angie | 623 comments Yes definitely! I've read a couple of small books so I've got room to fit this in. I'll add it to my currently reading tonight:)

Dana ****Reads Alot**** OK,thats great!!!

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Angie have you started yet??? I am up to chapter 5.

message 7: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments Hi- I am a little ahead of you both,but is a Buddy Read only for 2 people?
Truth- I did the audio version of Night Film and finished it last night, but I would like to talk about it because it was so intriguing. May I join you?
If it is just for two that will be fine. I read it for my Book Group. I could not put it down- or with audios turn it off!

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Of course you can join in Pat! The more the better. I stayed up really last night and got to chapter 26. And then I had a problem with my copy of my book. I may have to download boo all over or just do the audio version. How was the audio version?

I have so many questions. This book has me just glued.

Angie | 623 comments I'm about to start now, sorry I've not been on. My son moved back in but my routine is getting back to normal now. I'll have caught up by tomorrow night:)
I love talking about books I've read as well Pat so I'd also love to hear your thoughts about this book.

message 10: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** I am just fascinated with Scott McGrath's obsession with the Cordava's. He has thrown his whole life away to solve this puzzle. I don't understand why it really meant so much to him.

message 11: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments Hi !
I just finished this on audio book. I really am fond of having a book read to me and I actually walk around with a cute apron I specifically made for me to safely tuck the little CD player into. I can take it anywhere, and enjoy a story no matter where I am or what I have to do-I also use it when I sew, some books are so good I can hardly stop for anything!
Yes, this book is very good in Audio version.I can sign them out at the Library, and enjoy!
But back to the book, I at first was a little frustrated but the more I listened the more I became intrigued. Please don't read my Goodreads review, I think there are some spoilers in my review.

Okay, my reply to Dana, I am wondering how far you have read, because when we all get to the end I am really wondering if you all get the same conclusion that I did. Yes- I do think that McGrath is totally obsessed with the Cordova empire. Keep reading, but I did not get it till I reached the end. So I will hold that thought.
What is going on with the story where you are at?I think I may have to go buy one, because I have to re-read some of for details! But it is a good book-keep reading!

message 12: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Pat wrote: "Hi !
I just finished this on audio book. I really am fond of having a book read to me and I actually walk around with a cute apron I specifically made for me to safely tuck the little CD player in..."

I am on Chapter 36. I think this is one of those books that you have to reread. Because reading it just once is just not enough. So many little things can be missed.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments When I listened to the part about the strange packages from the Medical Supply Co., I did suspect that there might be sort of a Dr Frankenstein laboratory in the place somewhere far down so no one heard screams.....

I have to tell you that I can't recall all of the specific details clearly enough( haha-maybe I was peeling onions while I listened?) so I just called my son and he ordered a copy from Amazon. Yippee! It is on Prime so I will have the book Friday! I really want to follow along with you all- and I will want it for when my Book Group gets together. I think the book is very creepy in some of the parts.
Susan....to the hospital? Norah? I don't remember Susan. It is a good thing that I will get a book so I can follow up better! I can't wait to get it so I can read it again.

message 14: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Pat, pay no mind to me. I read very late at night, and shouldn't. Because I confuse myself with names and in the morning I cant think clearly about what I had just read. It was Nora.

I cannot wait till this woman does an interview on this book, because how this all came into her head is just...creepy. But I like creepy, just not gruesome creepy.

(view spoiler)

Angie | 623 comments I'm only up to c.6 but I'm getting into it very easy. The story instantly grabbed me. I like how the book has lots of pictures in it. And pages from magazines.

message 16: by Pat (last edited Feb 22, 2014 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments YAY! I got the book two day free shipping. Thanks to my son's Amazon Prime. He ordered it Wednesday night and it was here Friday night. So, now I can actually follow along better. I did not know there were pictures, of course with the audio version I wouldn't have.
I am going to start reading it because Book Group is next month, and I want it to be fresh in my mind.
The bad/naughty/unfortunate thing I do, is once I am intrigued with a book I can't put it down!
And the photos! What imagination!

message 17: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Yay.... The pics are great. It gives you more of an idea into the story. I'm on chapter 98. This book keeps you guessing.. On who is actually telling the truth in this story???

message 18: by Pat (last edited Feb 24, 2014 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments Hi!
How far along is everyone? I finished the book, and found and interesting set of posts under "McGrath's Daughter and other unresolved issues". (Check the Goodreads Discussions)
Actually quite a few people have questions about the story.
I listened to it and enjoyed it but I got the book and I am going to read it again because I still am unclear about many things.

Does anyone have questions or comments, starting at the beginning?
Something that bothers you?

message 19: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** I have alot of questions really. I almost think there should of been a book written before this one to explain more in detail about how his obsession ruined his mariage and how this obsession came about with the Cordava's.

message 20: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** Pat wrote: "Hi!
How far along is everyone? I finished the book, and found and interesting set of posts under "McGrath's Daughter and other unresolved issues". (Check the Goodreads Discussions)
Actually quit..."

I was trying to locate that topic and didn't come across it. Can you link me to where it is?? I would think they would of done a post mortem on Ashley considering the death of the first wife?

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Dana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** I finished the book last night. And I don't know why I feel kind of blah about the ending. Anyone feel kind of blah about it?
(view spoiler)