The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

Group policy forum: conservative members

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Due to complaints I received as well as my own personal interactions with him, I have blocked James on the grounds that his comments were counter-constructive and that he was creating a hostile environment.

However, I thought I would open up a forum for members to comment on this action. Do you think I made the right choice? Should membership/commenting be free from restraint? Would you suggest another way of handling such invasions?

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy I think you did the right thing, Donegal.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 82 comments Jimmy wrote: "I think you did the right thing, Donegal."

Agreed!

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy You know that whole word "conservative" has gone so far off the deep end. I think of myself as conservative. I want to conserve the earth, air, water, life. I don't like waste of any sort. People get trapped in a label and just follow all of the expected pathways of that label. I would love to have someone join in the group who was some sort of doubting conservative and wanted to get another point of view, sort of like a recovering drug addict.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 82 comments When you say conservative (in terms of policy) I automatically think conserve morality in their own little wacky way

Never do I think conservation lol

message 6: by Naomi V (last edited Feb 04, 2014 05:57PM) (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments excellent decision.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 424 comments I think he gave us something to think about and helped sharpen our arguments against. While James totally aggravated me on one hand, on the other, I'm sorry he's not on our site any more. In other words, I'm ambivalent about your decision. Preaching to the choir is unproductive but it's easier.

message 8: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Don't you think he was just here to disrupt, rather than engage in serious debate with the best interests of society as the ultimate goal?

message 9: by John (new)

John | 1 comments I think you did the right thing, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with conservatism. A troll is a troll no matter what their political affiliation, whereas thoughtful conservative commentary (say, something like "The American Conservative") is always something I'm interested in hearing. But goodbye and good riddance to trolls like that guy.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I learned that big name corporations are hiring anthropologists to enable consumers to better understand corporations needs to sell us products.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 424 comments He was definitely there to disrupt but he provided an interesting mental exercise arguing with him anyway.

message 12: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments Like others said, you made the right decision because he was a troll, not a conservative. We should welcome all that come here and argue their points but he just seemed to be here to agitate and nothing more.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, as Xox pointed out, he apparently trolls a variety of liberal sites.