Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) Anne of Green Gables discussion

ETEC545 Young Adult 2/2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Hiser Anne of Green Gables, written by Lucy Maud Montgomery and illustrated by M.J. & W.A. Claus, is a 429 page children’s historical fiction novel published by L.C. Page & Co. in 1908. The general interest level is 6 -8 grades. Anne Shirley is an orphan who is placed in the home of siblings Marilla and Martin Cuthbert who own a farm on Prince Edwards Island in Nova Scotia. The couple quickly took to Anne as she does with them and the community. She makes friends, works hard, and studies. Anne goes off to school at 16, becomes a teacher, but gives up her scholarship to take care of Marilla after Matthew dies. The novel introduces life at the turn of the century, formation of relationships, and the strong sense of responsibility and duty, this is a good wholesome novel that serves an inspiration/model for today’s youth as much as it did in 1908.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't quite understand how Anne of Green Gables could be classified under Young Adult though, you see the language and vocabulary is far from simple and seems more appropriate reading for an adult or at best a younger adult with an above average English reading level.

Am I making sense?

message 3: by Elentarri (last edited Mar 04, 2014 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elentarri Agostino wrote: "I don't quite understand how Anne of Green Gables could be classified under Young Adult though, you see the language and vocabulary is far from simple and seems more appropriate reading for an adult..."

I suppose it depends how stupid or dumbed down you think the kids are?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Elentarri wrote: "Agostino wrote: "I don't quite understand how Anne of Green Gables could be classified under Young Adult though, you see the language and vocabulary is far from simple and seems more appropriate re..."

Hehe, I guess you're right about that. Honestly, I think it's a little over the heads of a lot of kids judging by what's being consumed en masse in this day and age.

But, this isn't surprising to hear is it? I mean, a hundred years ago the literature was much more challenging than it is today (in the realm of general entertainment).