Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Hitchhikers guide: Chapters 1-4 Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christian (last edited Feb 03, 2014 08:43PM) (new) - added it

Christian | 4 comments LETS DISCUSS!!!!

What do you guys think so far?

Pretty funny. Had me laughing out loud several times.

I love how Arthur just doesn't think anything of the
strange behavior of Ford and the fact that he keeps mentioning the end of the world.

What really makes me laugh is in the beginning of chapter 4 when they introduce Zaphod Beeblebrox.

I MEAN, WHAT KIND OF A NAME IS THAT>?!! Made me laugh out loud right when i read it.

message 2: by MK (last edited Feb 04, 2014 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I finished Chapter 1 last night, and I LOVE IT!! Going to be a slow read for me, for two reasons. One, I'd like to laugh for a month straight :-D. And two, a bunch of Neil Gaiman holds I put at the library, all unexpectedly became available at once, so I have a bazillion library treebooks and ebooks that are all needing to be returned, soon-ish.

PS - Kathy had a supplier thread up already (I didn't notice it, when I first answered), so we might end up merged into there. Hope you Don't get lost, if we merge! Happy laughing! I mean, reading ;-).

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9308 comments Mod
I don't think we can merge threads in Goodreads. I will just delete the other thread and you can use this one.

Kelly Hamby I feel like I'm less evolved than the typical earthly ape men because I prefer a more classic watch.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9308 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "I feel like I'm less evolved than the typical earthly ape men because I prefer a more classic watch."

:)

Melanti | 2386 comments But even if you prefer the analog, don't you think the digital kind is a pretty neat idea?

And you pay for either kind of watch by moving little pieces of paper around, so you must be somewhat civilized.

Kelly Hamby I do move the green paper, but lacked the knowledge of the term analog. Until now! I'm coming up the chain.

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Feb 06, 2014 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
Every once in a while a book comes along and shines a light on just how far off plumb my bubble can be. This book has been rated by more than 450 thousand people and 75% of them have rated it as a 4 or 5 star read. As for me I’m standing alone on the island watching everybody sail away on a ship wondering what I missed. If I read it again would I get it? This strikes me as a book I should have read 25 years ago. It earned a 2nd star at the end. A spaceship committing suicide was kind of funny.

Kelly Hamby For me it is the artistry of contradiction that makes this novel great. Adams shows brilliance with his insight into humanity yet at times the book can be stupid. Many of the words and phrases he weaves together are low level and superficial, but he weaves them together with the skill of a great writer. His commentary on society shows great wisdom, but he shows it with immature jokes. He turns a simple towel into one of the most important items in the galaxy and his arguments in favor of the almighty towel actually hold water. I am very impressed so far.

Melanti | 2386 comments Bob wrote: "Every once in a while a book comes along and shines a light on just how far off plumb my bubble can be. This book has been rated by more than 450 thousand people and 75% of them have rated it as a ..."

Oh, don't worry about it! This was a teenage favorite of mine and nearly memorized back then. If I were reading it for the first time today? Hm. I doubt it would fare nearly so well.

Sense of humor is extremely relative.. We like to believe that there's universally funny things, but that's not the case.

Kelly, I agree with you. There's a lot of silly jokes but there is a fair amount of social commentary mixed in - such as the line about money I referenced, and the bit about people with bypasses going from point A to B and vice versa.

message 11: by Melanti (last edited Feb 06, 2014 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanti | 2386 comments In case anyone is interested, I just posted a couple of answers to how Adams may have come up with his answer to the ultimate question over in the Restarant thread. It has some slight spoilers for that book so I figured it'd go better over there.

message 12: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian | 4 comments Kelly wrote: "I feel like I'm less evolved than the typical earthly ape men because I prefer a more classic watch."

Hahaha!

I get this reference!

message 13: by Christian (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:37PM) (new) - added it

Christian | 4 comments I changed the title for the first 4 chapters so that we're not revealing any spoilers in anything after those chapters.

Luella | 5 comments I think if I remember right that the first 4 chapters had me laughing as well.

Milena | 257 comments I started laughing right from the introduction Luella. I'm reading it slowly and I'm enjoying it.
However, I agree with Melanti's post (above) about sense of humour being relative. For a YA the book would be funnier.