Purple Elephants of Epic Proportions discussion

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
This topic is about Artemis Fowl
Book Discussions > Artemis Fowl (Feb 2014)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 190 comments Mod
Here's the thread for February! Hopefully I can snag the book from the library this week... :)

Odile | 124 comments Thanks for creating the thread, Celti! :)
I have the book now so I'm ready to start reading!

I just got it from the library and started it! Two and a half chapters in and... it's verrry different from anything I've read! I don't know what to think of it yet... :D

Odile | 124 comments After the first 3 chapters I'm not sure what to think of it either.

I like the humor and the way the book is written. But I find the plot so far a bit messy and the characters rather uninteresting.

However, I'm curious to see how the plot (and characters) will develop. And I hope my opinion on them will change.

Odile | 124 comments I finished reading today! So here’s what I think...
I gave 2 stars which means I think it was okay. As I said earlier I liked the humor and the way the book was written. I think I would like to read more from Eoin Colfer.
However, I didn’t really care about any of the characters. Artemis himself is such an unlikable character and I didn’t really like Butler or Juliet either. Fairies were kind of boring. Foaly and Mulch were okay but I didn’t find others interesting enough to care about them.
The plot was okay but nothing special. I think the most interesting thing was Artemis’s relationship with his mother (view spoiler)

Anyway, I’m happy that I read it. Although, I’m not sure will I read the next book of the series.

Interesting thoughts, Odile!

I gave it three stars which is probably my equivalent of "okay" since I'm wayyy too nice with most of my ratings. XD (I need to redo my rating system I think... it's rather messed up).

I'm happy I read it and I MIGHT read the next one just to see where it's going.

(I hope to find the time to write up some more thoughts on it soon, but at the moment must dash.)

Christine Smith (lauriloth) | 81 comments What's funny is I actually loved the characters from this book, Artemis especially. I think I liked him just because he was such a different main character. He was basically the villain of this story, and yet still the MC, and I found that really fascinating. But despite his villainous ways and him being a genius, deep down he was still just a little boy. And that made me love him and, really, feel sorry for him. I don't know, I just liked the idea of the MC being the one causing all the chaos, not the one trying to fix it like every other book.

I adored Foaly, and Mulch was pretty fun. Honestly, I was pretty fond of all the characters. It wasn't the best cast in the world, but I liked them quite a lot.

The whole book was definitely not my favorite. I hated the crudeness. Blech. But, overall, it was a pretty good read. Enough for me to want to continue the series. I actually have the second book, I just haven't read it yet.

@Celti - I'm way too nice with my ratings too!! I keep thinking I need to go back and fix all my ratings. I keep giving books I thought were just "okay" a 3 star rating, but then I'll also give books I liked pretty well 3 starts also. o.o So...yeah, my rating system is messed up. I wish you could give halves, like 2 and a half stars, that would help a lot.

Odile | 124 comments Artemis definitely was a different main character, I agree with Lauri on that. And it was definitely refreshing to have a villain as a main character.

I know I'm supposed to feel sorry for Artemis, and I did feel in the beginning, but as the story progressed I just began to dislike him too much to feel sorry anymore. :/

@Lauri: Ditto on the rating stuff. :P We probably need to rearrange all our stuff...

Okay, I'm going to ramble for a bit on Artemis Fowl here (finally) so bear with me... (I'd probably better spoiler-tag most of it, though I'm still not very good at figuring out what's spoilery and what isn't in book reviews etc.)

The idea of the story was original, and I know as I was reading it I was thinking how I'd never read a book like this. At first the fairy stuff intrigued me--hey, fairies with technology! How different! But pretty soon I decided I didn't like that part. It didn't seem like fairies living underground; it felt like aliens living on another planet (and everyone knows I'm not the biggest fan of sci-fi). I just found it made it feel disconnected, so the fairies weren't relateable. I was also very annoyed at the crudeness. And at how it kept acting like all humans were evil. :P

I didn't like Holly much, though I guess I liked her a bit more toward the end. I did like Foaly though--he was enjoyable! :D Most of the other fairy folk were just unrelateable and weird, to me at least. And I actually didn't like Mulch. And I didn't like Juliet. Artemis's mother was nutty. XD But I found Butler interesting! He was rather cool, for a villain, and I liked his unbounded loyalty for Artemis and his attachment to his sister--he had some good qualities. I also like the idea of a butler-bodyguard sort of person--it's really different. :P

This may sound really weird, but my favorite thing about it was Artemis. At first I tried not to like him, because I was like "well... he's the villain. I shouldn't like him." But he was so clever and young and just intriguing that I actually liked him a lot. I have a thing for this category of characters that I call "young-enigmatic-mysterious-clever-and-awesome" and he seemed to fit in mostly, except for the villain part. BUT! (view spoiler) Oftentimes Artemis did annoy me, and I'm not saying I agree with him or think everything he did was right or anything. But I did find myself liking him a lot, and I loved a lot of the banter between him and Butler. I found them an amusing pair.

I totally understand you not liking Artemis, Odile. XD Much like Peter Pan. I think I like that sort of character, but I also realize it's weird that I do. :P You're probably much saner in that you don't. :D

It WAS extremely well written and humorous. I found myself just reading and reading and not wanting to stop because of the feel of the writing, coupled with the originality of the idea and my interest in Artemis, trying to figure out if I liked him or not.

So, between the good writing, the humor, the differentness, and Artemis, Butler, and Foaly, to me it had its good points. I want to read the next one just to see where the story goes.

I find it very interesting how differently we all think of this book! Goodness, it's fascinating. I love our book discussions. :)