Dresden Files discussion

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
This topic is about Grave Peril
Grave Peril question: Lea's kiss burning Thomas?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica, White Council (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 374 comments Mod
In the party scene in Grave Peril, Thomas tells Harry that the burn mark on his neck is from a kiss from Harry's godmother. Now that it's my second reading and I know what burns Thomas is the touch of true love, namely, Justine's touch, I'm confused by this.

Why would Lea's touch or kiss burn Thomas? I've noticed Lea often passes on her spells through a kiss. What could she have been bestowing on Thomas? Or could Thomas have been lying?

Perhaps this is something I simply don't remember (like the entire conversation between Lea and Harry before that scene)!

Mike Bryant | 39 comments maybe it's because as warped and psychotic as Lea seems to be, maybe she truly loves Harry and she truly thinks all of the things she does to Harry are in his best interest

message 3: by Monica, White Council (new) - rated it 5 stars

While that may be true, it was Thomas who was burned.

Marco Munoz | 69 comments I don't think so. Leah has always been mysterious, and her deal with Margaret has never been revealed. I think it means something else.

Great catch!

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments It's been a long time since I read that book and don't remember the scene as well as I'm sure others do. However, given Lea's nature I would say it was Lea being Lea. She could easily have worked a subtle magic to cause the burn. I think she would have found it amusing to see Thomas flinch with sudden pain. It might also have been her way of telling him that he was about to fall in love.

message 6: by Monica, White Council (new) - rated it 5 stars

Perhaps that's it, Stutley, and it's a message from Lea. But I find it hard to believe it would be meaningless, simply because how I've seen, on my rereading, how much foreshadowing there is throughout the whole series, and rarely does anything mean nothing.

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments Monica wrote: "Perhaps that's it, Stutley, and it's a message from Lea. But I find it hard to believe it would be meaningless, simply because how I've seen, on my rereading, how much foreshadowing there is throug..."

Agreed. Butcher even says in one Q&A session I watched on Youtube that he is a "lazy writer". He goes on to explain he does not introduce side stories or subplots he does not intend to use. That doesn't mean that every incident is a clue nor every scene is foreshadowing events to come. In this case, though, I think it was probably a sign that Lea knew Thomas was falling in love and a sign of something else involving Lea. I won't detail that because I don't know how far into the series you've read.

message 8: by Monica, White Council (last edited Feb 08, 2014 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've read through Cold Days, Stutley, but I appreciate your caution towards spoilers. I'm rereading for Skin Game. It's been enlightening so far!

I hadn't considered Lea's kiss as a sign for Thomas of events to come. Thomas answered Harry with something like "Your godmother decided to say hi," or "paid a visit" or something like that. Or am I way off? (I should really remember better, as I just listened to this days ago.) Maybe this will come clearer on this second read as I continue through the series.

wayword_witch | 162 comments The White Court is hurt by those who are truly loved and have truly loved someone in return, right? So, who does Lea love or who truly loves Lea?

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments Natasha wrote: "The White Court is hurt by those who are truly loved and have truly loved someone in return, right? So, who does Lea love or who truly loves Lea?"

You are correct, Natasha. However, the White Court can also be hurt by mundane weapons of all sorts. It stands to reason that Thomas could have been burned by an enchantment of some kind. I'm also not sure that Lea, as a Faery, could experience love in the way mortals do. Like distinctions between good and evil, love may be beyond them.

Then again, we know loyalty is something the Fae do experience. Loyalty is similar to love. Perhaps Lea has a boyfriend we don't know about. She did "negotiate" with Odin in Changes.

message 11: by Monica, White Council (new) - rated it 5 stars

I realize I was a bit confused. Thomas being burned, if abiding by the rules of White Court biology, means Lea was in love. But I'd agree that's not likely possible in the human sense. Something akin to love, as you say, Stutley. I vote for the boyfriend we haven't met. ;-)

Mike Bryant | 39 comments I just had an interesting thought...(i may be way off base on this, it's been a bit since my last readthrough of the series)
We know that not all of the fae started out as fae..
We know that Ebenezer is Harry's grandfather and Margaret was Harry's mother...but has any mention ever been made to who Margaret's mother was?
what if...Lea is Margaret's mother, and Harry's (and therefore Thomas's) grandmother?
any thoughts?

Marco Munoz | 69 comments One word: mindblown!

I don't think it's likely, but it certainly is a possibility!

wayword_witch | 162 comments Mike wrote: "I just had an interesting thought...(i may be way off base on this, it's been a bit since my last readthrough of the series)
We know that not all of the fae started out as fae..
We know that Ebenez..."

That's an interesting thought. I've wondered who Harry's grandmother was/is?

Also, I guess the burning kiss could be an enchantment or something similar, but that seems a bit too complicated to me. I wonder if we'll see anything more about it.

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 100 comments Lea in love with someone... For some reason, that is scarier than Mab being in love!

message 16: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Sudbury | 14 comments See i think that Lea love Thomas the same way she loves Harry. Margarets deal has never fully been revealed although we've been given a little idea about what it is. I think Margarets deal with Lea wasn't just to look after Harry but to look after Thomas as well.
As for people saying that its just Lea being Lea with the burning kiss, she wouldn't be able to hurt Thomas unless she has some form of claim over him.
I like the theory of Lea being Thomas's and Harrys Grandmother, that could be very interesting although i'm interested in whether or not Ebenezer knows about Thomas...

message 17: by Sergej (new)

Sergej | 52 comments I see Lea being in love possible in 3 ways:
1. She has absorbed memories of Susan's time with Harry,which was true love. She may have thought it would be interesting to see what love does to Raith.
2. She is in love with somebody, and has gotten to full potential of love fae can hold, so by letter of rules, it qualifies.
3. Leanansidhe is special case among fae when it comes to love. Her name means fairy lover. In folklore, Leanansidhe takes lovers among mortals, grants them great inspiration, but drains their blood,life-force,sanity, or some combination. In some tales mortals fall in love with her so madly that they kill themselves if she is absent for day, week at most. Not even in death they can escape her. In DF, every creature has nature that determines their behavior. For example, Gruffs always go in trio. 1. one enemy meets is Tiny, last Eldest. So Lea's nature may be to fall in love like mortal every time she approaches artist. She is at least 1000 years old, and by referencing shows and pop culture, it's implied she's still active. Count how much people she has madly been in love with.

message 18: by Ewout (new) - added it

Ewout Oord | 1 comments When rereading Grave Peril, I noticed the burnmark on Thomas' neck as well and got the following idea:

What if Lea struck a deal with Thomas as well. She seals her deals with a kiss after all. She recently gained the memories of Susan's love for Harry, and perhaps she gave them to Thomas. Perhaps he, didn't have memories of true love, and wanted them to understand his feelings for Justine. If that is true, I wonder what Thomas gave in return

I can imagine that Lea took the chance to strike several deals that night (she did spent time with Ferrofax). She might even have set Susan and Harry up, just to get her memories of love, just like she got Harry to misuse Amorachus. She is wily enough for it, I think.

So... crazy idea, or does it have merit?