Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

Suffolk (and other) NL relevant history

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Feb 03, 2014 05:42PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments I was just wondering what was going on in England, and Suffolk in particular when Sir Godfrey was doing his Knight Errantry. Well, a lot - and it is not surprising that he found endless skirmishes to be part of. Here is the Wiki link for eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1450s_in...

But also I found this fascinating history of The Abbey at Bury St Edmunds ( NL's Baildon Abbey)
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/repo...

and thought you might be interested . Hence this new topic.

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Barbara,
I had looked up who the ruling monarch was (Henry VI) but your links provided some very good background, thanks for posting. We can refer back to this throughout the read.

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I haven't looked at these sites yet, but I intend to very soon. I have been looking into news about King Richard III, who would have been a very young contemporary of Godfrey. Richard was born in 1452, just a year after Knight's Acre was built.

Some of you may recall discussions we had about 14 months ago when King R. III's skeleton was found under a parking lot in Leicester, England. There is still a controversy brewing over where he will be reinterred, and it has to do with a disagreement between the Catholic and Anglican churches involved. It sounds fairly certain that he WILL be buried with honors this year. Even a crown has been made for him of gold with sapphire and garnet settings between pearls. He was the last English king to be killed in battle, so he deserves his crown!

Barbara, I'm sorry that I drifted out of Suffolk to relate that news, but I did discover that there are at least 5 castle ruins in Suffolk, which were intact in King Richard's day, and at some point maybe we can determine which royal personages visited these castles. (Bungay, Claire, Eye, Framlingham, and Orford Castles, all built in the 12th century.)

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 398 comments Sylvia wrote: "...There is still a controversy brewing over where he will be reinterred, and it has to do with a disagreement between the Catholic and Anglican churches involved"

Not quite - both contenders for the honour are (now) Anglican cathedrals and it's a question of whether he should be left in Leicester where he was found and near where he was killed, or York, where some people believe he would have wanted to be buried
BBC report here

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Thanks Jenny, very interesting article . There are no claims for him to be buried in Westminster Abbey I see...