100 Books Challenge discussion

Archive > Group Reads 2014

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 893 comments Mod
My plan is to have group reads on a regular basis. Shorter books will be a month, but longer time periods will probably be needed for longer books.

Tentative target date for the first group read will be Feb. 20. I'll set up a thread for nominations. If you are interested in participating please add your nominations to that thread.

message 2: by Martha (last edited Oct 20, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

2014 Group Reads

February 20 - March 19 Memoirs of a Geisha
March 20 - May 19 Scarlet Feather
May 20 - June 19 The Outsiders
June 20 - July 19 Little Women
July 20 - September 19 - Outlander
September 20 - October 19 - 1984
October 20 - November 19 - Swallows of Kabul

message 3: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 343 comments Mod
I've added the book to our group.
For next time:
Click on 'bookshelf' which is right on group home.
On left there is a search box.
Search book then just add relevant info, make sure to change to 'to read' as automatically goes to 'read'.
When it is time to read (20th) go on bookshelf again and click edit next to book and mark as currently reading as for some reason book goes of homepage on date set as it knows we are reading it but doesn't change automatically, though when done reading it should change automatically I think.

Does this make sense? I will let you change Geisha on 20th :)

message 4: by Martha (new)

I think it will make sense when I get on that page. If I cannot locate my copy in the next day or two I will get the kindle version. Won't be the 1st time I've had to do that. :-)

Do you think a month is long enough for this book?

message 5: by Nicolle (new)

I think so but once we start I think we'll get an idea how long it's going to take us after a few days or a week.

message 6: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 11, 2014 12:32PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 419 comments I read Memoirs of a Geisha back in 1998 and again in 1999. Great book!

message 7: by Nicolle (new)

Good. I've been meaning to read for AGES!

message 8: by Martha (new)

I've updated post 2 to include both group reads in case members check this thread for group read info. Will try to remember to do that each time. :-)

message 9: by Martha (new)

I've updated post #2 to include our current group read & the next 2 upcoming ones. All 3 tied in our last poll so we took them in order.

message 10: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
Sounds good to me Martha!!!

message 11: by Martha (new)

I know it's a little early, but I'm going to set up the discussion thread for Little Women now. Some of us have finished the current group read and may want to start the next one early. I'm not trying to rush anyone though, so please don't feel that I am. Any of these group reads are to be read at your leisure. :-) I probably won't start LW yet as I have some others that I'm reading now.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Group read starting September 20 will be on 1984.

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 419 comments Well, over on Shelfari the Play Book Tag group has voted for "futuristic" - 1984 fits that tag/genre perfectly. Two birds(groups) with one stone (book)!

message 14: by Martha (new)

October group read will be Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra. I've updated the list.

message 15: by Martha (new)

I think it might be best to take a break during the holidays since interest seems to be down now anyway. I'm currently reading 1984 and Swallows of Kabul and they may take me toward the end of this month.

I will do a poll for one more group and/or buddy read this year if anyone wants one. Just let me know in this thread.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 419 comments Martha wrote: "I think it might be best to take a break during the holidays since interest seems to be down now anyway. I'm currently reading 1984 and Swallows of Kabul and they may take me toward the end of this..."

That might be a good idea, Martha. Another group I'm in uses December as "catch-up" month ... where members can read any of the past group reads and chime in on the discussion.

message 17: by Martha (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Martha wrote: "I think it might be best to take a break during the holidays since interest seems to be down now anyway. I'm currently reading 1984 and Swallows of Kabul and they may take me toward ..."

That sounds like a great idea. I'll send out a letter to all members that we are using the rest of the year for catch-up. Thanks for the idea!