Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Favourite Book(s)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) We are all reading so many books, I thought it would be cool to see which ones people loved this year. Might also help people add to their "to be read" list.

What has been your favourite book(s) so far this year?

message 2: by Dini (new)

Dini These two books earned five-star ratings from me this year.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

message 4: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) How embarrassing of me. Only one 5-star read this year so far. I have been critical, haven't I? :D The Chosen Book is McEwan's Atonement which I absolutely loved. I loved the movie as well, and I saw it about a year before reading the book but a friend kept telling me to read it so I did. And now I'm trying to read more McEwan but I have so many other books to read as well! Ah, so many books, so little time :)

message 5: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) These are books that got A- or higher.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs Knit Two by Kate Jacobs The Host by Stephenie Meyer [image error] Q & A by Vikas Swarup Inkheart (Inkheart, Book 1) by Cornelia Funke The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 6: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments I've had three 5 stars out of 16 read so far:
-The Handmaid's Tale
-The Book of Lost Things
-Galapagos

message 7: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) After re-reading Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South, I have taken the outrageous step of placing it ahead of Pride and Prejudice.
I may never sleep again.

message 8: by jeanne (new)

jeanne (jeannoula) | 106 comments My highest rated books this year:

The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Night by Elie Wiesel
Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
[image error] The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

message 9: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) There are three that have gotten 5 stars from me so far.

Feast of Souls (The Magister Trilogy, #1) by C.S. Friedman Wings of Wrath (The Magister Trilogy, #2) by C.S. Friedman Anathem by Neal Stephenson

And a couple 4 stars (would have given them 4.5 if it were possible)

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss

message 10: by Natalee (last edited Jul 06, 2009 07:02PM) (new)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (likelydisaster) There are my favorite books so far this year (these are books I rated 5s and 4s):

Little Bee by Chris Cleave [image error] [image error] Hold Love Strong A Novel by Matthew Aaron Goodman The Long Fall by Walter Mosley [image error] The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah Dismantled A Novel by Jennifer McMahon [image error] [image error]

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa oh and The Elements of Style (Fourth Edition) by William Strunk Jr. Sophie's Choice by William Styron

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments Absalom, Absalom! (Faulkner) and The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

message 16: by Meranda (last edited Jul 25, 2009 07:38PM) (new)

message 17: by Faye (last edited Aug 15, 2009 08:12PM) (new)

message 18: by Mary Todd (new)

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Olive Kitteridge A Novel in Stories by Elizabeth Strout

I haven't even finished it and I can tell it's one this year's faves . . .

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments [image error]

Nonfiction -- fabulous -- a topic near and dear

message 21: by Kate (last edited Aug 03, 2009 10:01PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Olive Kitteridge A Novel in Stories by Elizabeth Strout

Haven't even finished this one yet but I know it will be one of my tops for 2009

TWO OTHERS I LOVED:

The Shack by William P. Young

Truth & Beauty A Friendship by Ann Patchett

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Here are my favorites so far-
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

message 23: by Eva (new)

Eva Favourite books read this year:

Agatha Christie books (pretty much any one of them)

Bloodhound --> Incredible read. Loved it to bits. Just amazing.

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie My five star books:

[image error] The Divorce Party A Novel by Laura Dave Watchmen by Alan Moore
(don't let the "chick-lit" look of divorce party scare you off...it's truly an amazing read)

And a few others i enjoyed:
On Call In Hell A Doctor's Iraq War Story by Cdr. Richard Jadick [image error] And a Bottle of Rum A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails by Wayne Curtis The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory The Woman Who Wouldn't by Gene Wilder My Sister, My Love The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike by Joyce Carol Oates

message 25: by Maphead (last edited Aug 03, 2009 09:33PM) (new)

Maphead | 295 comments Tough call, but here is my top 5 so far......
The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Shia Revival How Conflicts within Islam Will Shape the Future by Vali Nasr Freethinkers A History of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby Rome, Inc. The Rise and Fall of the First Multinational Corporation (Enterprise) by Stanley Bing A Voyage Long and Strange Rediscovering the New World by Tony Horwitz

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I'd also like to add The Girl Who Played With Fire

message 28: by Samara (new)

Samara I've given quite a few 4's, but these are my faves of the year:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks [image error] Mistress of the Art of Death (Book 1) by Ariana Franklin The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime, #1) by Jasper Fforde

So either I'm not really picky or I've been selecting some really good books this year!

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments My favourite this year has been The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich

Closely followed by The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield

message 30: by Tracy (last edited Sep 30, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Tracy | 36 comments Tracy wrote: My Favorites for 2009
The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates

Favorites from 2008
Atonement, by Ian McEwan
Saturday, by Ian McEwan
Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

message 31: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 235 comments I'm already up to 48 books and I tend to give 5 stars more easily than it appears other people do.

My top five this year are:

[Book:Swan Peak] by James Lee Burke
[Book:Night Soldiers] by Alan Furst
[Book:The Secret Servant] by Daniel Silva
[Book:Man's Search for Meaning] by Viktor Frankl
[Book:The Secret Life of Bees] by [Author:Sue Monk Kidd]

message 32: by Makenzie (new)

Makenzie Collie (makenziec) My favorites this year are The Book Thief, The Arsonist's Guide to Writers Homes in New England, The People of the Book, and Stardust. All of those were fantastic!

By the way, love this group!

message 33: by Margrét (new)

Margrét  (magga) Some of my favourites:
Paper Towns by John Green Tales from Moominvalley (Moomintrolls) by Tove Jansson Holes by Louis Sachar The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder

message 34: by Gail (new)

Gail The Book Thief, Sarah's Key and Homer's Odyssey. I definitely have to read Book of Lost Things since so many people like it

message 35: by Marie (new)

Marie Quinn | 2 comments Norwegian Wood
The Pillars of the Earth
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The first one because it's just beautiful and the second two because they were thrilling!

message 36: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (Sabby89) | 1 comments So far...
My favourites are the darkest powers series by Kelley Armstrong - The Awakening and The Summoning. Can't wait for The Reckoning!
Also, the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. Absolutely adored Blood Promise.
Yup, I'm into paranormal romances at the momentl.

message 37: by Tayla36 (new)

Tayla36 | 274 comments I re-read some of my old favorites this year from David Eddings and Alan Dean Foster.
But as to new books this year that I loved:

By Gordon R. Dickson, the first three books of the Childe Cycle
Necromancer
Tactics of Mistake
Dorsai!

Doctrine of Labyrinthes series by Sarah Monette
Melusine
The Virtu

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha I've given 5 stars to only one book this year Romeo and Juliet

[image error]

Read it years ago in h.s., when we still had to read bowdlerized versions interspersed with rows of asterisks denoting the omitted naughty bits. But this spring I spent some time studying it and reading commentary. It's one of the great underrated works IMO, along with Strictly Ballroom and Pride and Prejudice, routinely considered frivolous or sentimental romances, but whose point is the struggle and suffering that result for young people when adults don't do their duty either to maintain social order or to guide their children.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Andrews (pangirlmom) | 51 comments These are my five and four star books so far this year. Thank you for starting this discussion. Will we do it again at the end of the year, or should we just update our lists?

The Pact by Sampson Davis The House at Sugar Beach A Memoir by Helene Cooper Almost a Woman by Esmeralda Santiago [image error] Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer The Book Thief by Markus Zusak A Mighty Long Way My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School by Carlotta Walls Lanier Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

message 41: by Jackie (last edited Oct 14, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

Jackie (mrpixel) | 76 comments This has been a great opportunity to look back at the books I have read this year and remember the really great ones.
I only gave one 5-star rating this year, to Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri.

The following are books that are almost 5-star material:
Love Medicine & The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse, by Louise Erdrich;
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer; Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger; and Parchment of Leaves by Silas House.

message 42: by Monica (new)

Monica (monbon211) | 12 comments The Glass Castle A Memoir by Jeannette Walls The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield Lullabies for Little Criminals A Novel (P.S.) by Heather O'Neill Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Running with Scissors A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs The Hours by Michael Cunningham

And The Book of Negroes: (U.S. Title: Someone Knows My Name) by Lawrence Hill

message 43: by Jayme (last edited Oct 24, 2009 07:18PM) (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) Natalee wrote: "A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2) by Libba Bray The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3) by Libba Bray"

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy are some of my favorite books of all time! I reread them nearly every summer along with the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. :-D

message 44: by Anna (last edited Oct 27, 2009 10:11PM) (new)

Anna (gqannanguyen) Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson The President's Daughter (1984 Original) by Ellen Emerson White [image error] Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards, #1) by Scott Lynch A Tree Grows in Brooklyn  by Betty Smith
The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie

This is out of the books I've read this year not my overall favorite. Although out of these, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Lies of Locke Lamora, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and the Blade Itself are exceptional reads.

message 45: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaonpurpose) Ed wrote: "I'm already up to 48 books and I tend to give 5 stars more easily than it appears other people do.

My top five this year are:

[Book:Swan Peak] by James Lee Burke
[Book:Night Soldier..."

I read Man's Search for Meaning this year, too, and it was excellent. It took me forever to get through, I was really drawn to it.

message 46: by Carrie (last edited Nov 05, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Carrie Susanna wrote: "How embarrassing of me. Only one 5-star read this year so far. I have been critical, haven't I? :D

No, I don't think so. Are you like me where you just don't get easily impressed by a book? If it doesn't grab my attention and hold it, or move me terribly, I don't give it five stars. You can still enjoy what you're reading without thinking the world of it.

That being said, of books I've read this year, I loved the following:

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street Ireland A Novel by Frank Delaney The Looking Glass Wars (Book 1) by Frank Beddor The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) by Dan Brown The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

But my all time favorite is still Pride and Prejudice

message 47: by Donna (last edited Nov 10, 2009 06:10AM) (new)

Donna (dfiggz) These are my 5 stars fave:
The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum Blindness by José Saramago Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo In Search of Respect Selling Crack in El Barrio (Structural Analysis in the Social Sciences) by Philippe I. Bourgois The Book Thief by Markus Zusak I, Rigoberta Menchu An Indian Woman in Guatemala by Rigoberta Menchú Life on the Color Line The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black by Gregory Howard Williams The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

message 48: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Thurner The Help by Kathryn Stockett Mudbound by Hillary Jordan The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Serena A Novel by Ron Rash Loving Frank A Novel by Nancy Horan . Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen These are my five star books for the year. I'll have to add some of the books from the lists above to my to be read list.