Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

Little Wolves
This topic is about Little Wolves
Little Wolves

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman is the 2014 All Iowa Reads book. Have you read any of the other All Iowa Reads books?

Shelley (shelleyanderson) | 3 comments I didn't realize that they had been selected as All Iowa Reads, but I have read four of the previous selections. This year's selection was the first one I read because I had seen it promoted as an All Iowa Reads book.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I've read 4 All Iowa Reads books including Little Wolves. Two of them I read before I knew about All Iowa Reads, one I read before the announcement and Little Wolves I read because it was the All Iowa Reads selection. I included the list of previous books for everyone.

2013. The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson
2012. Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder
2011. Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos
2010. Driftless by David Rhodes
2009. The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown
2008. Digging to America by Anne Tyler
2007. Splendid Solution: Jonas Salk and the Conquest of Polio by Jeffrey Kluger
2006. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
2005. The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich
2004. Niagara Falls All Over Again by Elizabeth McCracken
2003. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

Cindy Michael | 48 comments I have also read 4 of these selections (including LITTLE WOLVES). Thanks for including the list, Amy!

message 5: by Amy (last edited Feb 04, 2014 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
You're welcome. I figured there might be some surprises on there. There was one I didn't realize was one and one book I thought was one but wasn't.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
What did you think of Little Wolves? Did you like it?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Mod
I started it last week, but it's so very grim. I'm sure it's not bleak the entire story, but I'm having a tough time getting into it. I'm only 12% in.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
It is pretty grim. I didn't find it a fast read. Warning: There is also a part half way through that is a flash back that I didn't realize it was until a couple pages in. Did anyone else have that problem?

Cindy Michael | 48 comments No problem with the flashback! As I got further into the book it went pretty fast for me. I was so impressed with the writing..characterizations and spot on location moods (in this book, anyway) that got me hooked right away. Also, the actual mystery was not the most important part of the plot for me!!

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I could really picture the characters. I forgot about the "mystery". When I heard that it was picked for the All Iowa Reads I was excited that it was a mystery. It wasn't a traditional mystery. I thought there were a couple mysteries or things to wonder about. The big one for me was why did Seth go to Clara's house and what would've happened if she answered the door?

Cindy Michael | 48 comments I would like to think perhaps Clara might have helped Seth, since this story has such a thread of abuse and non-communication between parents and children and Clara seemed to be such a sympathetic person. But for many of the characters there was redemption at the end!

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I hope that he was going there hoping she would talk him out of it. I don't know why Seth would want to harm her.

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Did Seth have options other than murder to remove the sheriff?

Cindy Michael | 48 comments You would always like to think so wouldn't you!!? Maybe that is why he stopped to see Clara..one last ditch attempt to reach out to someone he liked?? I don't think he would have hurt Clara..although since the book opened with Seth's death we did not get to know a lot about who he really was..other than his relationship with the wolves.

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I would think so too. When I read that it was based on true case I was tempted to google it because I thought it would give me insight. I decided not to because the author said he heard "only the barest details" You're right, you don't know much about who Seth really was so you don't know why exactly he did it. I do hope that he just wanted Clara to talk him out of it. I can really see Clara hiding in the basement and her seeing Seth's legs and coat through the basement window. Very powerful scene for me.

message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Abandonment of a child, through death or deliberate actions, is a common occurrence in this novel. Can you think of some instances of the "abandoned" finding each other?

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
When thinking about this question I was amazed at how many different instances there were. Both Seth and Clara were "abandoned" Do you think that is why they befriended each other? Also do you think that is why Clara wanted to keep the kittens?

Cindy Michael | 48 comments Clara's dad had told her a story..which the book opens with..about the wolves taking care of an infant that was abandoned (unintentionally).Also, Seth took care of the wolves. So this theme does pop up in a lot of places in the story. Would a child that loses it's mother early in life feel that? Both Seth and Clara lost their mother..as did the kittens and the wolf pups. Lots to think about!!

message 19: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I agree! I forgot about Seth and the wolves. They were his wolves in a way. I'm thinking that children that lose their mother early in life would feel like something is missing even if they don't remember differently.

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
(Spoiler Alert maybe in my post).

I've read all of the All Iowa Reads books (had to), and I think this is one of my favorites.

I like the bit of mysticism in this novel. A touch of Native American literature, somehow.

Is anyone else unsure of who killed who in this novel? I finished a few weeks ago, and it's already a little fuzzy for me. I can understand how Seth might want to kill the sheriff, but did he? The sheriff's son entered the death scenes late in the story. I wondered if he had actually killed the sheriff. I believe he killed Seth.

Cindy Michael | 48 comments I wish I had the book in front of me right now..you might be right, Sheryl. I think his son did it..it was very subtle in the book..and to me the book was about so much more than the revelation of who-dun-it. The sheriff was a child abuser..so it makes sense!!

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Yes. After finishing the book, I thought to myself but why did Seth kill him? I guess I didn't feel like the cabin in the woods was the reason. I wish they went into his mind more. I also remember thinking that it wasn't really Seth who was dead out there.

Cindy Michael | 48 comments I know...wouldn't that have been a pleasant surprise if Seth was really alive. And I do believe when the sheriffs son (can't remember his name) was holding Clara captive and was ready to kill her, he kind of confessed did he not?? That should be clear in my mind, but as I said, I so admired the authors writing style, etc..that that part of the plot was not as important!

message 24: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I totally forgot about the son kidnapping Clara! You might be right about it being not important. I wondered about it but then it wasn't one of things that I feel the need to ponder about. This made me think of Clara's "premonitions" for a lack of a better word. Didn't she feel she had to move there? And of course she knew to stay in the basement when Seth showed up.

message 25: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Is Lone Mountain an ironic name for a prairie town situated next to a hill? What is the meaning of this name in the context of this story? Were Logan and Clara wrong in trying to make a home there?

Shelley (shelleyanderson) | 3 comments I think the name added to the mystery of the story. It made it seem possible for a mystical setting where things outside of our reality can happen- such as a baby being saved by a coyote. Knowing that area of Minnesota it's a preposterous name for a town.

message 27: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I like your comment that it's preposterous name for a town. I also like how Clare would ask where the "mountain" was and most people weren't sure. A lot of people were alone and set apart in this book. Like a lone mountain.

Kelly (kellystern) | 5 comments As I'm reading all of these comments, I'm thinking that the wolves were the perfect bit of the novel to use for the title. They generally scare people who don't know much about them and are often misunderstood and even killed as a result of that unwarranted fear. I'm thinking that the characters who appreciated them perhaps identified with them and are some of the little wolves of the title...or is that too much of a stretch? Are there any other little wolves in the novel besides Seth and Clara? I read the novel in October or November and my memory of it has gone pretty fuzzy already.

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
No I don't think that's a stretch at all. That makes perfect sense to me. As I'm thinking through all the characters, Seth & Clara makes the most sense as the little wolves, but I am wondering if Grizz (Seth's Dad) and Lee (Sheriff's youngest son) can also be considered little wolves.

Stacie M | 6 comments I just finished the book and I loved it. Could not put it down. I love the use of symbolism in it; and did anyone notice it had a socio-political message in it? As an animal rights activist and a proponent of the family farm system I found the fact that Grizz hated factory farms to be very poignant. I mean, lets face it, not only are factory farms cruel to animals, they have wiped out the family farm. Midwestern history is interwoven with the factory farm

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
Stacie, you're right. There definitely was a message there in regards to farms. It's always interesting to me that during a discussion, what may seem on the surface to be a simple story turns out to have so many facets.