GETTING TO KNOW THE WORMS > Question 6 - Collections

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathew, Point giver (new)

Mathew Smith | 185 comments Mod
Do you collect anything?

message 2: by Mathew, Point giver (new)

I'm sure we all consider ourselves book collectors, right?

I'm not big on collecting things. Mostly b/c my wife does not like clutter and makes me get rid of all my valued comics, my boxes and boxes of hockey cards, and every 'opoly' version of the monopoly game there ever was.

I do have a small collection of old bottles. Stuff like Coke bottles, old brown Javex bottles, little blue liver pill bottles. Some of my most sentimental were scavenged from an old garbage dump I found while wondering in the woods. I was looking for an old abandoned homestead and managed to find their garbage too!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments Some of those bottles might be worth money, Bookworm!
I don't really collect anything, except dust bunnies.

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki I have more collections than I can count, though when I stop and think about it, I realize MOST of them were foisted on me by others - dolls of the world, salt and pepper shakers, Campbell's Soup mugs, owls...

The things I would LIKE to collect, cost too much money like the creepy lady head vases from the 50s and 60s -
description

and the creepy Southern pottery head jugs -

description

Yeah, I like creepy.

message 5: by Mathew, Point giver (new)

That is creepy. Don't you collect tea pots in funny shapes?

I would really like to start collecting something. I think it would be a good hobby. It would be like a treasure hunt going out and finding said item.

My father is a big collector of things. The collections change over time, but, at one point he was into collecting clocks. Mostly cuckoo clocks. So, every hour on the hour the house would start hooting, banging, clanging, clacking, and playing little tunes on bells...I didn't find it weird, but, it would freak out some of my friends.

My poor wife also gets collections foisted onto her. For eg a couple of years ago she mentioned she liked owls...well, for the next few xmas and birthdays it seemed like everyone gave her an owl knick knack.

message 6: by Melki (last edited Feb 06, 2014 03:54AM) (new)

Melki I actually DO have one figural teapot - a tomato that belonged to my great-grandmother. I love it, but I want no others. (Are you listening people? I WANT NO OTHERS!)

I'm not sure how the owl thing happened. I think I once mentioned to someone how I like hearing owls hooting outside late at night, which was somehow translated as "buy me cute little owls for my birthday and Christmas." Due to lack of space, they get packed away each year, then displayed for Halloween.

Oh, and I did forget to mention that I am actively collecting carnival canes. They're still affordable and don't take up much space.

description

message 7: by Mathew, Point giver (new)

Melki wrote: "I actually DO have one figural teapot - a tomato that belonged to my great-grandmother. I love it, but I want no others. (Are you listening people? I WANT NO OTHERS!)

I'm not sure how the owl t..."

Collecting is kind of strange eh? What do you do with an overabundance of one things, say a glass bottle you will never use to hold liquid, or a carnvial stick?
I'd think it goes bac to our primal brain that says gather, gather, gather...but, then why are we not collecting useful things like food? Not many beef jerky collections out there I bet. I'd think if you were a food hoarder people would think you are strange. However, if you gather roomfuls of Star Wars figurines, you'll be praise?! Makes one think.

message 8: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Carruthers | 72 comments I don't really actively collect stuff anymore, but I do have several collections of things, some by design, some by happenstance. Books (of course), music, movies, Star Wars stuff, functional antiques, tools, guitars, analog cameras, art (both fine and folk), heirloom seeds, stamps, cards (sports, movies, superheroes, collectible card games), comic books, video games, tobacco pipes, fishing gear.

Anyway, too much stuff. Most of it in storage units. Most of it needs to go on eBay. Sooner or later. Preferably sooner.

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Pimm | 8 comments I collect post cards. Purchased or sent to me. I love the beautiful pictures and i have TONS. I have a box of post cards just from when I traveled to Europe. My coworker is gonna send me some from California when she goes down for a trip she won through work. Its so cool when people send you postcards in the mail and you know that a whole bunch of people probably read them before you. Its neat.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 260 comments I'm an epic collector, I collect CSI and The Walking Dead boxsets as well as the album collections of my favourite bands. Then there's my Nightmare Before Christmas collection which is ever expanding. And my collection of baking and sewing paraphernalia and my candle collection (which has peaks and troughs as I do manage to use most of mine). And my cushion and blanket collection (I tend to feel the cold...). Think that's the main ones...Oh and my car sticker collection (dad is not happy with that one lol).

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 154 comments I collect books! Toy fire trucks! Model trains.