9th Honors LA discussion

3rd Period- Choice Reading- Nick, Anita, Abby, Kayla

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mairah (new)

Mairah Teli Post:
A. Brief introduction to your choice reading book. Explain what your book is about, and the genre. Be detailed and specific, but do NOT give away any spoilers. Also include weather you like/dislike the book so far and explain why.

B. Discussion question that stems from your reading. Develop a question that your peers can grapple with even if they have not read the book. Think of themes and topics that are general enough for everyone to have an opinion and be able to respond.

C. Reply to your peer's discussion questions

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 46 comments a. I am reading "'the Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight". This book is about meeting your true love in maybe the most unexpected places. The genre of this book is love, fiction, young adult(teen). So far in the book, Hadley has just missed her flight to her dad and stepmom's wedding in LA. She is stuck waiting at the airport, but then runs into a 'perfect boy' named Oliver. Did I mention he's British? So far, I like this book because as of right now, Hadley is trying to figure out whether she has feelings for oliver or not.Oliver has been tagging along with Hadley before their flight to LA. Coincidently, they have are both going to a wedding in LA and they both have the same seating area on the plane.

b. Do you believe that you can truly fall in love with someone only knowing them for half a day? Meeting them in an unexpected place?

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 12 comments I think you can love the idea of a person in one day, but actually falling In love no. the only reason I think this is because falling in love with a person required time, and obstacles you have to face together. This takes time to learn everything about the person, how they talk, their flaws, they're past, what they want in life. Falling in love with someone should take time. So yes you may love someone at first sight but I think falling in love part takes time

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 46 comments Abby wrote: "I think you can love the idea of a person in one day, but actually falling In love no. the only reason I think this is because falling in love with a person required time, and obstacles you have to..."
I agree. And yea, i don't believe it's possible to fall IN love with a person that you've just met.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby | 12 comments the book I'm reading is about a girl falling in love with her child hood bestfriend , that she hasn't seen in years all in one summer. This book was good, but it became great when a HUGE twist that made it 20x more interesting.

Later on in the book a conflict arises between the two and causes them to stop talking, even though they still love eachother. Do you think that people should let stupid things ruin something great? or do you think holding grudges is the only way to get your point across?

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick | 6 comments my book that i am reading is called "Invasion". It is about a group of soldiers that are part of the normandy invasion.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 46 comments The book i am reading is called "Tell the Wolves I'm Home". I've read past half way through the book, but this book is basically about a girl,June, and after the death of her uncle Finn from AIDS, she discovers the "special friend" her uncle always talked about. She meets the guy who gave her uncle AIDS and tries to get to know him. So far she doesn't like him, but as they get to know each other, she realizes that he isnt so bad and she finds out why her uncle never told the family about his boyfriend, Toby.

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 46 comments Nick wrote: "my book that i am reading is called "Invasion". It is about a group of soldiers that are part of the normandy invasion."

More descriptive please??..As of right now, what is going on in the part you are reading?

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 46 comments Abby wrote: "the book I'm reading is about a girl falling in love with her child hood bestfriend , that she hasn't seen in years all in one summer. This book was good, but it became great when a HUGE twist that..."

I believe that people shouldn't let stupid little things ruin their relationship. What's the point? If you love someone so much, why would you let something stupid break your relationship with them.? It's all about talking things out which is what makes a relationship stronger and more trustful.

message 10: by Anitaa (new)

Anitaa | 13 comments My book is called " But I Love Him " & its about where a girl is basically choosing a side of either sticking with her mom or her boyfriend & she chooses her boyfriend. BUT i'll add in that her boyfriends dad tried to lay his hands on her and also her boyfriend has really bad mood swings. Just like the story we read " Romeo & Juliet. " If you were in this girls position would you actually stick with being with your boyfriend or choose to finish school and live with your mom ? the thought of being in dangered is the worst, would you put yourself in that position and risk your life for someone you think loves you?

message 11: by Kayla (last edited Mar 13, 2014 01:22PM) (new)

Kayla | 46 comments Anitaa wrote: "My book is called " But I Love Him " & its about where a girl is basically choosing a side of either sticking with her mom or her boyfriend & she chooses her boyfriend. BUT i'll add in that her boy..."

I would actually choose to stay with my mom and finish out school. I understand a lot of teens feel like they're in love with a guy, but that is rare to happen. So, i'd just finish out school. i mean, a lot of people dont know what true love is until later on in life so how would you know if the person loves you or not. even if they say i love you to you everyday and give u everything you ask for..

message 12: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 22 comments Since my group has decided not to post im just going to join this one if thats okay. my book im currently a boo that is called, "Flipped". It is about this guy named Bryce who thinks the new girls Julie is so annoying so annoying. Everywhere he goes she follows, but this in in the first grade, but as the book progresses she becomes less interested in Bryce and more interested in another guy. When this happens, Bryce starts to develop feeling for her

If you were in Julies position what would you do and why?

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby | 12 comments I think Bryce realized the lesson "you never really know what you have until it's gone"...that's why he never realized how muchh he actually liked her being around and once she finially got tired of him ignoring her she gave up and moved on. That's what she should've done, because now Bryce actually acknowledges her.

message 14: by Abby (new)

Abby | 12 comments I just started a book a couple of days ago, so I'm kinda lost in finding out what caused the chaos the book started out in. it's about a girl who's mom has died and sister ran away, being left alone with her abusive father. One day something crazy happens in their town; a disease outbreak making humans kill each other, and destroying the town. The girl some how manages to find a small group of teens and hide out in there high school....but I don't know what happened to the dad.

Do you think the teens will be able to survive much longer? I couldn't imagine what I'd do if I was in that situation

message 15: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 22 comments What does their food source look like? Is it scarce or abundant? Does she miss the dad? Because if she does I don't know why she does when he was being a abusive person? But how are the teens not infected yet Abby?

message 16: by Anitaa (new)

Anitaa | 13 comments it just depends on how fast the disease is spreading. so other than that , they may be able to survive for awhile & possibly they might not. but i feel like either way they'll not survive because what food do they have to eat to be able to survive ?

message 17: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 22 comments I agree with you Anita. All of those are key factors in this situation

message 18: by Anitaa (new)

Anitaa | 13 comments I had just got done reading " But I love Him. "
It's honestly kinda odd on how the book started. It started as things going really bad, for example Connor's dad wanted to hurt his girlfriend. At the end its where everything was going good. So basically the book was being told backwards ; the bad and interesting part was in the beginning & the boring part was in the end.
If you were to be in Connor's position and his mom didn't seem to want to leave his father. what would you tell your mom? how would you react to what shes putting herself through? would you put yourself in a risk of getting beat by your own father? Being put in a risk like that would take a lot of encouragement. Don't you think?