Searching for SuperWomen Book Clan discussion

Book Discussion > Member Book Suggestion Area

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emmie (last edited Mar 27, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

Emmie Mears (emmiemears) | 47 comments Mod
Got a book you want us to read? Leave your suggestion here!

We'll be alternating picks this-a-way:

February: Chris
March: Emmie
April: Member Pick
May: Chris
June: Emmie
July: Member Pick
August: Chris
September: Emmie
October: Member Pick
November: Chris
December: Emmie

Each member-chosen book will be decided by reading this thread. If there are multiple requests for a book, that book will be chosen. If everyone requests a different book, I'll put all the choices into a hat and pick one at random.

Criteria: Books put forth by members should be science fiction or fantasy. Please don't put forward a book that falls in the middle of a series. That's it!

Sound off! What do you want us to read?

message 2: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Raulerson (raulersonwrites) | 5 comments Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
Geekomancy - Michael R Underwood

That's what I've got for now. :D

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian (brian_oconor518) | 19 comments A few suggestions from my to-read list:

The Killing Moon - N.K. Jemisin
Cold Magic - Kate Elliott
Zoo City - Lauren Beukes
Vicious - Victoria Schwab
God's War - Kameron Hurley
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

message 4: by Emmie (new)

Great recs, everyone!

I'm actually reading God's War right now.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan McCabe Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
The Eye of the Minds by James Dashner
The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas

message 6: by Clarice (new)

Clarice (embereye) | 4 comments In the interest of extra votes for current suggestions:

Geekomancy by Underwood
Vicious by Schwab
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Taylor

(I would be up for any of these really!)

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (brian_oconor518) | 19 comments Chris wrote: "i just bought someone Daughter of Smoke and Bone and was tempted to keep it for myself to read."

I just read it a couple months ago. I don't read much YA, but I thought it was really good. Marvelous world building.

message 8: by Emmie (new)

Chris wrote: "Brian wrote: "Chris wrote: "i just bought someone Daughter of Smoke and Bone and was tempted to keep it for myself to read."

I just read it a couple months ago. I don't read much YA, but I thought..."

Well, at this point it's got two recs, so it very well might end up being our first member pick. :P :D

message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Raulerson (raulersonwrites) | 5 comments Clarice wrote: "In the interest of extra votes for current suggestions:

Geekomancy by Underwood
Vicious by Schwab
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Taylor

(I would be up for any of these really!)"

Aww yeah that's two for Geekomancy! *fistbump*

message 10: by Emmie (new)

Awesome!

Okay, since we didn't really set a time frame for this, we'll let this thread putter on till February 28, and the book with the most recs then will be our April pick.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 14 comments I would like to request "daughter of Smoke and Bone" for the next discussion. Just FYI, for anybody who is interested, Daughter of Smoke and Bone (the audiobook version) is in sale on Audible for $4.95 right now. I prefer reading the hard copy myself, but the sample audio bite of the narration doesn't sound so bad for that book.

message 12: by Emmie (new)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone has three votes for April's pick, so it will be our first member pick!

Keep the suggestions coming, everyone!

message 13: by Emmie (new)

Make sure you keep telling us what books you want to read! Our next member pick after April will be July!

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments The Silent Wife.

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian (brian_oconor518) | 19 comments I just finished Cold Magic, so I'm going to suggest The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin which is eyeing me from my 'To Read' pile.

message 16: by Emmie (new)

I have that on my TBR pile as well, Brian. I've actually been considering making that my June pick...And I just realized I left May out of my calendar. O_O

*goes off to fix it*

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian (brian_oconor518) | 19 comments Ooooo well in that case, let me throw VICIOUS into the ring. It has already been mentioned a couple times above too.

message 18: by N.E. (new)

N.E. White (newhite) I second the Killing Moon for two reasons: 1) it's good and 2) I've already read it! So, I'm all set to join in on the discussion. :)

message 19: by Emmie (new)

You know what? Done. Killing Moon will be my June pick. Bonus because I already have it, and Amazon is annoying me because when I bought Daughter of Smoke and Bone, they said it'd be here yesterday...but after I placed the order the delivery date changed to April 11-16. O_O

message 20: by Emmie (new)

Yeah, I'm wishing I'd just done that. Maybe I'll just buy the Kindle edition too.

message 21: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 14 comments For the next member pick (I think that's in July), I'd like to suggest "Luck in the Shadows" by Lynn Flewelling. It's the first of the Nightrunner series and I've heard good things about it.