Searching for SuperWomen Book Clan discussion

Group Information > Introduce yourself!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emmie (new)

Emmie Mears (emmiemears) | 47 comments Mod
Welcome to the Searching for SuperWomen Book Clan! Take a minute and introduce yourself to everyone.

And just for the heck of it, give us your favorite superhero.

I'm Emmie. I'm a fantasy author and a blogger, a beer-slinger because bills have to happen, and an avid reader. I have a husky and two stripe-y cats, and I'm well and truly past worrying over fur in my food. Favorite superhero varies a bit, but I'd have to say Storm at the moment. She's capable, hugely intelligent, and can control the weather...which also means she can fly. Rules.

message 2: by Clarice (new)

Clarice (embereye) | 4 comments I'm Clarice. I'm a game designer/writer, editor/copyeditor/content developer/designer for the bills, and uh... generally nerdy person. I have cats, a moderately sized tv, a much loved xbox 360 and a hulu membership that I use too much. My favorite superhero... tough! Hawkgirl specifically from the Justice League cartoon. She got things wrong sometimes, did not understand women being considered weak and had a freaking electrical mace of dooooom. Woo!

message 3: by Emmie (new)

Clarice wrote: "I'm Clarice. I'm a game designer/writer, editor/copyeditor/content developer/designer for the bills, and uh... generally nerdy person. I have cats, a moderately sized tv, a much loved xbox 360 and ..."

Yay, Clarice! So happy you've joined us!

message 4: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaaa) | 4 comments I am Krista! I have a beagle named Scout and a cat named Ginger (who is black and white-at the shelter we got her from, they had named her litter Captain, Ginger and Mary Anne...the name stuck!) I love to read and UF is my favorite genre. I also have one husband and two kids. I am all about the Phoenix. ♥ me some Jean Grey!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan McCabe Hey all, I'm Megan :) I'm a fantasy writer who daylights as a paralegal. I also have cats (a trend I see lol) and read way too much for my own good. I'm not sure who my favorite comic superhero is, but I think Katniss from 'The Hunger Games' is def a hero book wise :)

message 6: by Emmie (new)

Welcome, everyone!

message 7: by Lyra (new)

Lyra (lyraselene) | 1 comments Howdy! I'm Lyra, writer/blogger/lifelong book addict. Um, last night I had a dream about bears and water balloon fights? I'm also jet-lagged.

I've always loved Superman. I know people complain that he's old-fashioned and simplistic and black and white, but I like how unimpeachably good he is. Also, the "let me put on my glasses so no one will know I'm Superman" thing speaks of simpler times :)

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Raulerson (raulersonwrites) | 5 comments Hey all, I'm Tasha, writer/blogger/full-time-crazy-person/and lover of all nerdy things. I go to school full time, I'm editing my first novel, and as for my favorite superhero, that would have to be X-23 AKA Laura Kinney. Wolverine's clone/daughter person....either way she's epic. :D

message 9: by Day (new)

Day Al-Mohamed (dayalmohamed) | 3 comments I'm Day. I'm a Policy Advisor during the day, and a frantic scribbler by night - mostly comics and spec-fic (short stories) :) Promised myself I'd finish my first novel draft this year.

Regarding superheroes, I love the Birds of Prey. I'm kind of caught between Oracle and the Helena Bertinelli Huntress as my favorite.

Have two dogs (retired and active guides) - Vendetta and Gamma-ray.

message 10: by Brian (last edited Feb 04, 2014 09:43AM) (new)

Brian (brian_oconor518) | 19 comments Hi everyone - I'm Brian - I work in public finance by day and attempt to write fantasy novels by night or whenever else I can get a minute.

I love comics, both indie & cape, genre TV and books of course! I read mostly SFF, but I'll pick up pretty much anything with an engaging plot and memorable characters. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is probably my most beloved novel.

Favorite Superhero? Ugh... there's so many! Well, inspired by Day's pick of BoP, I'm going to say Batgirl - the Cassandra Cain version. Such a great character, a wonderful mix of physical badassery & emotional vulnerability and her relationship with Babs and Stephanie Brown was just so funny and heartwarming.

message 11: by Emmie (new)

Welcome, everybody! We're really excited to get started.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian (brian_oconor518) | 19 comments Emmie wrote: "Welcome to the Searching for SuperWomen Book Clan! Take a minute and introduce yourself to everyone.

And just for the heck of it, give us your favorite superhero.

I'm Emmie. I'm a fantasy author ..."

Also, Mohawk Storm is best Storm.

message 13: by Nikki (last edited Feb 07, 2014 03:00PM) (new)

Nikki | 14 comments Hey guys!
I'm Nikki. I just joined today :) I'm a Marketing Research Analyst (I know- it's a pretty boring gig) but I love to read whatever I can get my hands on. I have two fur children of the k-9 variety. It looks like I'm in good company with this choice, but my favorite superhero since I was a little muchkin is Storm- because she's just the zenith of all things awesome!

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments I'm Emily--joined the group when I saw Emmie had started a discussion about a great book. I've joined the Twitter Superwomen chats so I'm quite pleased to be part of a discussion group. I have a grumpy cat named Oscar who now will stand up for treats! Yay!

I work as a multimedia producer, which is a project manager. My favorite superhero changes regularly, but currently it's Kitty from the Bartimaeus Trilogy. And trust me, if you liked Golem and the Djinni, you'd like the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Happy reading!

message 15: by Natasja (last edited Feb 09, 2014 11:45AM) (new)

Natasja Hellenthal (natasjahellenthal) | 1 comments Hello everyone! Just joined (-:
My name is Natasja, Fantasy writer (Natasja Hellenthal), thinker, eco-activist, vegan, animal lover, full-time supermum of 2 young adopted babies. Also have 2 dogs and a cat with no tail.
I love Tanith Lee's work and would say Oaive from 'The Winterplayers' was my first superhero.
My superhero's at the moment are Xena and Gabrielle!

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael | 1 comments I'm a technical writer in Bethesda who works at the NIH. I'm into comic books (of course), sci-fi/fantasy novels, boardgames, RPGs, karaoke, and indie club dancing - not necessarily in that order.

My favorite superhero is Grant Morrison
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/1...

message 17: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 1 comments Hello. My name is Lois, and like the rest of you, I'm an avid reader. I would like to suggest something for the reading for the month of July! How about "Alanna: The First Adventure" by Tamora Pierce. She's one of the first fantasy writers who wrote for an adolescent audience, and she included how her characters dealt with puberty.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Natasja Hellenthal (other topics)