Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monthly Read > 2/14 - When Earls Fall in Love by Manda Collins

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
For the month of February we will be reading Manda's newest book, Why Earls Fall in Love. Remember this thread may contain spoilers.

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments I have it on order; meanwhile, reading first book in the series!

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I've said it several times already, but I think Manda struck the perfect balance between romance and mystery. I really liked Georgina and Con together, and I was particularly pleased that Manda kept them true to their characterization in the first book.

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1878 comments Mod
Thank you, Janga! I'm really pleased you thought the continuity works. It's hard to keep characters consistent from one book to the next. And I'm frequently worried I'm letting the mystery plot overshadow the romance. I think that's the bane of authors who straddle genres everywhere. Hope you enjoy the book, Charlene!

message 5: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments I still haven't read it yet. I need to finish 3 arcs I have, then I can devour it. I hope I can read it this month :)
Manda, I wonder if you have a plan for the governess and hero's friend from the #1 book?

message 6: by Manda (new)

I might, June! I'm working on a Christmas novella (really a short novel) that just might feature those two! (I don't like to say because I haven't started writing it yet!)

message 7: by Ki (new)

Ki (kazamei) | 143 comments Who is it!!!! Who's doing this to the girls?!! Urgh!!

message 8: by Manda (new)

I'll never tell!!! Hmwahahahaha! (Though obvs I will tell with book 3, of course...)

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments I really like the balance of romance with mystery--and also the balance of the ongoing mystery thread with one that's solved in each book. Manda, seriously. How do you do it?? Did you pre-plan all three plots, or at least the mystery arc that runs through all three books?

Also, Archer is hilarious in every scene he shares with Con. He's Perdita's hero, right? That's going to be fun. :)

message 10: by Manda (new)

Thank you so much, Theresa! I'll be honest--I'm not much of a plotter so I had a general idea of how the overall mystery would work out, but not many details. It's mostly a matter of building the individual mystery in each book and then coming up with a way for it to connect to the big mystery. Hope that makes sense!

I'm so glad you like Archer. I think he might be my favorite hero I've written so far. And if you think he's funny wait until you meet his brothers. I had a hard time not just creating a fifty page diversion in WHY LORDS LOSE THEIR HEARTS so they could all have a witty banter-off. Which would have been incredibly self indulgent, but fun.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Ha! I would love to read that, Manda. Maybe you can post it as an extra on your site someday.

message 12: by Charlene (last edited Mar 03, 2014 12:02AM) (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments Manda wrote: "Thank you, Janga! I'm really pleased you thought the continuity works. It's hard to keep characters consistent from one book to the next. And I'm frequently worried I'm letting the mystery plot ove..."
I read Books #1 & #2, and I enjoyed them both and put reviews on goodreads site. Now looking forward to #3, thanks.

message 13: by Manda (new)

Thank you so much, Charlene! I'm so glad you enjoyed them!:)