The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) The Rosie Project question

Who do you picture Don Tillman as?
Clint Cunningham Clint Cunningham Feb 03, 2014 02:33PM
I'd love to hear from others, if while reading The Rosie Project they have been picturing anyone in particular (an actor for example) as Don Tillman.

Right from the get go I've been picturing the Maurice Moss character from the IT Crowd (Richard Ayoade) as Don Tillman!

Discuss!

Was I the only one who pictured Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock character as Don?

Throughout the whole time I was reading the book, I was imagining Jim Parson. He would be great..it would come naturally to him and I bet everyone would go.."ahhh.. thoughts so, who else could it be ?'

;)

1. Neil Patrick Harris
2. Jim Parsons
3. Jonny Lee Miller

I always pictured Matthew Perry as Don. Emma Stone as Rosie.

he was pretty blatanlty just a lift of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory to the point that the whole thing read like fan fiction

That would be Matthew Gray Gubler from criminal minds. Just gonna have to work a bit on his pectoral muscles since Don is all Aikido , karate fan and I think and he'll fit perfectly.

Young Gregory Peck.... or maybe Benedict Cumberbatch,...

Monica (last edited Feb 28, 2020 09:16AM ) Feb 20, 2020 10:30PM   1 vote
I read somewhere that Ryan Reynolds has bought the movie rights to this book and wants to play Don... personally I'm not sure he has the acting range to play the part. I think my 1st Choice: Jake Gyllenhaal might be a good match (he has the look, the age and a proven track record of playing quirky characters). 2nd Choice: Penn Badgley from 'You' OR 3rd Choice: Kit Harrington from 'GOT'.

Christine And I agree - nope not Ryan Reynolds!!!
Feb 28, 2020 09:26AM · flag

Joaquin Phoenix.

Stephen Merchant is who I kept picturing throuhout the whole novel !

Don was always Tim Ferguson (from Doug Anthony Allstars) for me. Tall, lanky, right age, very bright man, great comedic presence and timing. Probably only Aussies will get this reference. Sadly Tim now has MS, but yes, in my head Don will always be Tim Ferguson.

Though I do get the Sheldon/ Jim Parsons concept.

I'm not getting the Sheldon thing. I pictured Don Tillman as a good looking man, or did I miss something? Gregory Peck is not a bad match, or Cary Grant (who in mind could play anyone!)

Ryan Gosling would be perfect.

June (last edited Apr 24, 2014 02:42PM ) Apr 10, 2014 10:13PM   1 vote
Daniel Vincent Gordh. He was William Darcy in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries (the YouTube series that won an Emmy). He is an American actor, but can do an Aussie accent - and sings tenor and does comedy. Looks sort of like a young Gregory Peck.

I think the Sheldon actor from Big Bang is too acerbic and sarcastic. Don is more clueless.

Sheldon, definitely!

I kept picturing Jim Parsons. Don is definitely Sheldon-like. :)

Hugh Dancy

Michael C hall??¿¿ He's proven in Dexter he is capable of portraying extremely believable social incompetence with just the right amount of charm to persuade a mass audience to swoon for a serial killer! perfect candidate for Don...any takers?

Bit left field maybe, but what about Rick Hoffman who plays cranky lawyer Louis Litt in "Suits"?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0389069/?r...

Veena D No way! He isn’t half as good looking as described in the book.
Mar 29, 2020 04:17AM · flag

i pictured ROB LOWE...

A mixed genes of Sheldon Cooper and Forrest Gump:)))

Kit Harington. Goofy, smart, has a good build, can do that martial arts thing believably.

Lexxi Kitty (last edited Dec 24, 2015 09:10AM ) Dec 24, 2015 08:55AM   0 votes
Since I'd read many reviews before trying the book, and so many of them mentioned how Don Tillman was basically Sheldon Cooper, that's who I thought of as I read the book (I'm not saying they are right or wrong, I'm saying they influenced me pre-read). So - Jim Parsons.

ETA: Not that Parsons looks like Gregory Peck.

Since Don loos like Gregory Peck I can picture him perfectly like Hugh Jackman!
I mean look!
Nerdy Don:
http://www.lahiguera.net/cinemania/ac...
And sexy Don!
https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress....

Absolutely Jim Parsons!

I like the idea of Benedict Cumberbatch but he also slightly reminded me of Tom Hanks in Turner and Hooch.

They should see if they could get George Clooney to play Don in the movie.

I was picturing him as Christian Clemenson, from his character in Boston Legal

A lot of people have said they picture Benedict Cumberbatch while reading this. When I read the first book, I pictured Sheldon Cooper a lot, and just couldn't get Cumberbatch into my head for the role... Having said that, a lot of the characteristics of Don scream Alan Turing to me, so now in The Rosie Effect I can picture Ben as Turing....

Clint Cunningham wrote: "Right from the get go I've been picturing the Maurice Moss character from the IT Crowd (Richard Ayoade) as Don Tillman!"

Haha. So I didn't exactly picture Maurice when I was reading, but Richard Ayoade would get my vote if they turned this book into a movie.

A tall, neat, nerdy and slightly cheaper looking version of Don Draper ( in a full suit and with thick dark-rimmed glasses). In other words, out of his time zone, not on trend fashion wise ;)

Toby Maguire
Johhn Cusack or Adrien Brody

Jim Parsons! Definitely Jim Parsons. Few paragraphs into the book and I was picturing Jim Parsons as the protagonist. After a few chapters, I even just googled Don Tillman and Rosie and found several others rooting for Jim Parsons as the lead. If the movie came out without Jim Parsons, I'd probably be a little disappointed.

Hank Azaria (Phoebe's boyfriend, David on Friends)

I actually pictured someone like Jim Caviezel in this role! About the right age, handsome, but reserved. :)

No doubt, Benedict Cumberbatch!

Should be an Aussie actor, perhaps Travis Fimmel? Or Guy Pearce?

Originally I pictured Benedict Cumberbatch as Don, but now I'm picturing him as Eddie Redmayne. I know he's a few years younger than what Don is but he was fantastic as Stephen Hawking so I'm sure he could do Don justice. :)

If it's Oz actors- Callan Mulvey and Michala Banah. Hollywood - Colin Farrell and Roony or Kate Mara.

Johnny Galecki totally, Jim Parsons is a little too much

Diane (last edited Jul 31, 2014 12:13PM ) Jul 31, 2014 12:08PM   0 votes
Dr. Jeremiah Sacani from TV show Royal Pains.

I would be happy with Jim Parsons, Benedict Cumberbatch or Richard Ayoade. I love Colin Firth but I think he is just a tad older for Don's role. I would have no objection to Colin playing the role though.

Matthew gray gubler who plays Reid in criminal Bal minds would be perfect, and he's 10 years older than Jennifer Lawrence so it's the right age gap.

The only person that came to my mind was Johnny Lee Miller. (Hackers, Elementary) The stoic, stiff antisocial but ultimately lovable guy. And Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim V. the World, 10 Cloverfield Lane) as Rosie. I thought the two fit. They have both played similar parts in the past and their ages match the characters (for the most part)

My book club (14 of us) all picked Jim Parsons....Sheldon from Big Bang. We each filled in the name on a piece of paper, and it was unanimous !

Since Don is specifically described as resembling Gregory Peck, I think he could be played by Orlando Bloom, who comes as close as any current actor I can think of to looking like Gregory Peck. For Rosie, from the beginning I pictured Natalia Tena--Ellie in "About A Boy" and Tonks in the Harry Potter movies.

Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory

A younger version of Tom Hanks or Colin Firth

Benedict Cumberbatch would be wonderful.

Hank Azaria or Steve Carell would be good. Cumberbatch could do it. Jim Parsons no Don is not Sheldon.

« previous 1