/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

General > OLDER Fantasy series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edward (last edited Feb 03, 2014 02:04PM) (new)

Edward | 2 comments I like reading Fantasy series but hate waiting for authors to write the next book !!!! So I'm looking for complete series or older ones that are finished. I've found it very difficult Find older series that are finished. So anybody that has a suggestion on older series please give me a heads up
Thanks
Ed
Also I do most of my reading is on a kindle so if you know of any kindle book that would be great

message 2: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments Hm, let me think. Now, this list offers a wide variety of options and styles, so there's no guarantee that these will be your style.

Jack Vance's "Lyonesse"

Roger Zelazny's "The Chronicles of Amber"

Glen Cook's "The Black Company"

Mark Lawrence's "The Broken Empire" trilogy.

I don't know what you're read, but all those are done.

message 3: by Davis (new)

Davis Ashura (davisashura) One series that is fairly recent that I loved and is also complete is Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Based on the books you like, this would be a natural since it is an epic fantasy and consists of 6 books. The first book is the weakest, and I almost didn't continue the series because of how weak it was. However, the second book...I think Jim must have taken his Wheaties because the second book is so much stronger in all aspects, such as character development, pacing, and narrative structure. The series is just plain fun.

A stand alone oldie but awesome would be Elfstones of Shannara. Terry Brooks is sometimes derided as being a Tolkien clone, and its understandable, but with the second Shannara book, he wrote something much more interesting.

There's lots more, like the Belgariad and Elenium novels from David Eddings. There's Thomas Covenant, and although a third Chronicles is being written, the first two trilogies end well enough that you don't need to read any further. Tad Williams' outstanding Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is still one of my all-time favorites. Janny Wurts and Raymond Feist wrote a really good trilogy with an oriental themed setting.

message 4: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments Oh god yes, Codex Alera. That was the series that caused me to fall head over heals for fantasy. That was the first series that I anxiously awaited every publishing date.

I agree that the first one is weaker than the rest, but I still love every damn minute of that series.

message 5: by Mark (last edited Feb 03, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Mark | 41 comments The Prophet of Lamath started in the late 70s by robert don hughes

Deryni Rising by katherine kurtz

Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1) by Phyllis Eisenstein

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7 comments There is also The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan that is long and finished
Also I have been enjoying The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Well, if you by older means "done" rather than from the time when Fantasy novels didn't include sex, then I would recommend "The First Law" triology by Joe Abercrombie. If you do mean older, then I'd recommend the "Man of his Word" series by Dave Duncan for a fast-paced and entertaining read.

message 8: by Edward (new)

Edward | 2 comments Davis wrote: "One series that is fairly recent that I loved and is also complete is Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Based on the books you like, this would be a natural since it is an epic fantasy and consists of 6..."

Davis wrote: "One series that is fairly recent that I loved and is also complete is Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Based on the books you like, this would be a natural since it is an epic fantasy and consists of 6..."

Thanks Davis
The Elfstones of Shannara was an excellent Book unfortunately I've read all of Terry Brooks Books he was one of the first fantasy writer I ever read and enjoyed his work greatly, but I will check out some of your other suggestions

message 9: by Davis (new)

Davis Ashura (davisashura) I can't believe I forgot Tanith Lee; lush, poetic, and dripping with vivid imagery. She's been a favorite of mine for a long time, although I've only read a fraction of her books. I especially liked the Secret Books of Paradys and Cyrion.
For something that on the surface seems light but actually has depth is Jennifer Roberson's Sword-Dancer series.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt | 1 comments The Night Angel series by Brent Weeks is complete and top notch!! Also, the Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan is completed and was the best series conclusion I've ever read!!

message 12: by Colby (new)

Colby (dobro3) My old fantasy novel go to's.

Mike Sirota: Twentieth Son of Ornon. Easy old fantasy read that's enjoyable.

David Gemmell: Morningstar. (my favorite Gemmell novel.)

Matthew Woodring Stover: The Acts of Caine. Not for folks with weak constitutions, but damn it's good.

Book of Swords novels by Fred Saberhagen.

Heck I could go on. But these are a couple oldie but goodies.

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Marsden (nepharid) | 12 comments Davis wrote: "One series that is fairly recent that I loved and is also complete is Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Based on the books you like, this would be a natural since it is an epic fantasy and consists of 6..."

Davis, you have almost exactly the same taste in fantasy as I do. I also loved The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. That was the first fantasy series I re-read constantly as a child.

message 14: by Davis (new)

Davis Ashura (davisashura) Nick wrote: Davis, you have almost exactly the same taste in fantasy as I do. I also loved The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. That was the first fantasy series I re-read constantly as a child.

I'm sure that's because great minds and writers think alike. ;)