Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Titles

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Stevenson | 190 comments That's a tough one. I'm a writer and a reader so here are my opinions: As a writer I like to keep it fairly simple when I chose my book titles as I tend to find over-long titles a bit off-putting. I prefer titles that are only one or two words long.

As a reader, it's often a combination of title and cover that attract my attention initially. If the title is catchy and encapsulates what the book is about really well, and then the cover picture backs that up it's a winning combination. The last book that really grabbed me in this way was:

Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski

Braineater Jones

That was the last time I bought a book based on the title and cover, and the book itself turned out to be awesome, by the way.

Usually it takes more than that to sell me on a book though. If the title and cover are pretty good, I usually check out the synopsis and reviews as well.

How 'bout you?

message 2: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 74 comments As I writer I too find the title aspect a bit of a challenge! Sometimes the title will come to me in a flash, even before I've even really plotted the idea! Other times it can seem to take forever. The title for my novel Darkness Forbidden took on several incantations before I finally felt happy with it, and likewise with the sequel, Retribution Darkened. I've only just found a new title for a novel I've worked on for years.

As a reader I sort of agree with the above comments: I look for names that grab me (probably why I can take ages picking my own!) and match that with the cover, then move on to the blurb. If all three get me then it's a winner, though of course I've read gems where the title or cover have not done the book justice but I'm glad to have read them.
Jacqui

message 3: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Litke (jenzgoodreads) In one of the Writing Excuses podcasts, Mary Robinette Kowal recommended this method. Go to a quotes website and search for quotes based on a theme from your book. Then look for short phrases that could work as a title. That didn't work for me. ;) But it was an interesting exercise.

Here's a link to that podcast, also has an interview with Mercedes Lackey: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2013/12...

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Braineater Jones (other topics)