Young Adult Book Club discussion

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
Books of the Month > February 2014- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Feb 03, 2014 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin Hi everyone! Here's where we will discuss Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Here are some questions to get the ball rolling.

1) What is your favorite part in this book?
2)What might have happened if the Knight Bus hadn’t t
urned up when it did? [Might Sirius have introduced himself to Harry?]
3)This is the only book in which Voldemort doesn’t play the major villain. Why do you think Rowling wrote one book in which Voldemort is in the background?
4)Why do you think Harry and Hermione are allowed to
tamper with Buckbeak and Black, but nothing else, when they travel back in time?
5)When Harry has the opportunity to let Peter, the character responsible for his parents’death, be killed, he chooses not to do it. What does that say about him?
6)Sirius Black is imprisoned for 12 years in Azkaban,
and Pettigrew is imprisoned for the same amount of time as a pet rat. Which character was more truly the prisoner?
7)What does Lupin’s lesson on Boggarts teach about how to face our deepest fears?
8) Any other questions or comments?
Happy Reading!

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 33 comments This was the one book in the Harry Potter series that I did not enjoy very much. I felt like it was a big waste with Sirius being evil and then turns out it was just a hoodwink. While I like the idea of misinformation I thought the suspense was drawn out way too long.

I think Voldemort is not the main focus because Rowling was trying to back fill the main story with a lot of information. I really think she could have nested Book 3 into Books 1 and 2 without a major loss of content.

Harry is a remarkable character in that he possesses a very strong morality. He chooses not to kill bc he is pure hearted to the core, the antithesis of Voldemort.

I think Sirius because he never truly understood what had happened until he saw the rat (which he knew was a threat). Its one thing to be wrongfully imprisoned but to not even fully understand what had happened.

You can't let your fears dictate your life. You can be challenged by them but you have to learn how to accept them.

Robin 1)My favorite part in the book is when Harry and Hermione go back in time to save Buckbeak and Sirius.
2)I don't know if Sirius would have said anything to Harry, It's true that he was a wanted man, but I feel that if he did reveal himself to Harry it may have been too soon unless the plot was to change drastically.
3)I agree that this book was needed to set up some important relationships. In a way, I kind of liked the fact that this one book was not all about Voldemort. It gives Harry a small break from dealing with him.
4)I feel that saving Buckbeak and Sirius was all that Hermione and Harry had time to do. They only had a short amount of time anyway. True, it could have been altering way too much if they messed with anything else, but really their time was far too limited.
5)I second your statement on this one Stacey.
6)Petigrew. Not just because of the fact that he was a coward and living in hiding, but think about it. He was living as a pet rat! A pet that was passed from one Weasley sibling to the next who did who know what to it thinking that he was just an average rat. In the very first book the twins convince Ron to try a made up spell on him. So who knows what else had happened to him in that time.
7)We are strong enough to overcome even our deepest fears and overcome them.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 33 comments Robin wrote: "1)My favorite part in the book is when Harry and Hermione go back in time to save Buckbeak and Sirius.
2)I don't know if Sirius would have said anything to Harry, It's true that he was a wanted man..."

That's an interesting point about the Weasleys trying to cast a spell on Pettigrew in book 1. That actually shows great foresight on Rowling's part to weave the story together!

Kenna (keenatoad) | 61 comments 1) My favorite part in this book, are the DADA scenes, this is the first year they have a good teacher and I love seeing how Lupin interacts with the students and how well they learn from him.
2) I don't think Sirius would have introduced himself, that scene was likely the first time since Sirius' sentence that he had seen Harry and he wouldn't have felt ready to confront Harry.
3) I think this book was needed to give important back-story for characters coming into the plot and a way to prepare for future events. By writing this book, instead of a prequel, Harry still got to develop and get more "screen-time" and grow.
4) They only had a certain amount of time to do what they needed before they caught up to just after turning the time-turner to go back, for the amount of time they went backwards, saving Sirius and Buckbeak was most important and productive.
5) Harry has seen and felt the damage caused by murder, even if it is justified. He doesn't want to be just another villain that kills other people, like Voldemort and Pettigrew.
6)Pettigrew was more of a prisoner. Sirius was not affected by the dementors and because he escaped, he was clearly not as imprisoned as he could have been. Pettigrew was stuck inside of a rat body that was put through many trials due to the Weasley boys.
7)By focusing on the light, you can make a bad situation get better or go completely good, and also sharing your fears with others can help you confront them; since Lupin had them reveal their boggarts in front of the entire class.