Meet Omnium Gatherum Authors discussion

What Books Would you Choose

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Jonez (katejonez) | 37 comments Mod
If you could only take 3 books on a trip, what would you choose?

http://katejonez.com/k8jonez/2013/9/2...

message 2: by Brent (new)

Brent Kelley | 20 comments The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert

I don't know anything about Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, but I'd certainly like to. The Eye of the World is the first book of the series, and I suspect it's right up my alley.

A Game of Thrones is one I already know I'd enjoy, having watched the HBO series and talked to a number of people who've read the books.

God Emperor of Dune I have already read and loved. Definitely worth reading a bunch of times. Where A Game of Thrones goes to the past, Dune is set in the far, far future.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Welke (mewelke) | 12 comments On the plus side, Brent, those books would keep you reading throughout your trip. On the downside, if they weigh your suitcase at the airport, those three together could tip you over into an extra charge.

message 4: by Brent (new)

Brent Kelley | 20 comments Not if I put them in my carry-on bag. Nothing like a 50lb suitcase that I can check and a 45lb backpack that I'll be wearing for hours. Won't be the first time, won't be the last time. Kate fails to mention where I'll be going on this trip. She's probably sending me to New Delhi, India or something.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Welke (mewelke) | 12 comments That's true. And those three in your carry-on, you can fend off attackers!

message 6: by James (new)

James Everington | 8 comments Three? That's awful. But anyway:

Alone With The Horrors - Ramsay Campbell

'The Trilogy' - Samuel Beckett (Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnameable. Published as one so I'm counting it as one.)

The Haunting Of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

message 7: by Kate (new)

Good Choices, James. I hope you're going somewhere sunny and cheerful!

James wrote: "Three? That's awful. But anyway:

Alone With The Horrors - Ramsay Campbell

'The Trilogy' - Samuel Beckett (Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnameable. Published as one so I'm counting it as one.)

The Ha..."

message 8: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 4 comments I'd have to pick three that I haven't read yet, and three that I've been meaning to read for a while now:

The Haunting Of Hill House
Watership Down
Les Chants de Maldoror

message 9: by Kate (new)

Les Chants de Maldoror sounds like it will require full concentration. That's a good choice!

Gregor wrote: "I'd have to pick three that I haven't read yet, and three that I've been meaning to read for a while now:

The Haunting Of Hill House
Watership Down
Les Chants de Maldoror"

message 10: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 4 comments Kate wrote: "Les Chants de Maldoror sounds like it will require full concentration. That's a good choice!

Yes, it does seem like it could be a bit challenging. But it's my understanding that it's jam-packed with insanity, which I think will make it all worth while.

I found The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman rather dense, and a bit of a challenge, but it was worth it. Every paragraph was stuffed with bizarre, beautiful, and violent imagery. I have a feeling Maldoror will be, perhaps, a similar experience.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Ooooh, I've been meaning to read that one!Gregor wrote: "Kate wrote: "Les Chants de Maldoror sounds like it will require full concentration. That's a good choice!

Yes, it does seem like it could be a bit challenging. But it's my understanding that it's ..."

message 12: by Karl (new)

Karl I had chosen three books picked out but the airlines lost my luggage, and the island that we crashed on has no bookstore, and these survivors with me would only burn them anyway, cus who likes raw fish anyway, not even the sushi consumers.