Flights of Fantasy discussion

Books & Discussions > Pet Peeves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 200 (200 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments No spoilers please! Just the peeves. ;)

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Love Triangles. May they all triangle in hell.

message 3: by Chris , cookie guilt (last edited Feb 03, 2014 12:49PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Becky wrote: "Chris wrote: "Here's one I have regarding fortune tellers.

Ever notice that every book or movie that has a fortune teller draws the Death card? Every. Single. Time."

OMG I know. I thought the same thing reading (view spoiler)

Now I want a Pet Peeves thread. BRB..."

It's happened to me twice since (view spoiler).

message 4: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "Love Triangles. May they all triangle in hell."

IN-FUCKING-DEED.

message 5: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Also, Insta-love. We hates it!

message 6: by Luke (new)

Luke | 333 comments Oh my, so many where do I start?

1. Bitchy/manipulative/controlling woman stereotype.

2. Prophesies (very occasionally they're ok).

3. The barbarian, thief, knave, assassin, character types.

4. 100% good or 100% bad characters. My one exception is Galad from WoT. I liked his 100% "good" character since it was a spin on the usual morally uncorruptible stereotype.

I'm sure I'll think of more lol.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Becky wrote: "Also, Insta-love. We hates it!"

*tears Insta-love to pieces with my face*

(>_<)

message 8: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Rawr! Kill it, Jackie. KillKILLKILL!

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I also hate weak, stupid heroines...particularly those who can't put a clue together even when it's staring at them.

*nunchucks Clary Fray and Luce Price and the Bella's of the world*

message 10: by Luke (new)

Luke | 333 comments Oh, the "two people who are thinking the exact same thing but can't bear to communicate it with the other person". That one annoys me to hell and back. "JUST TALK TO THE OTHER PERSON" I scream to the deaf pages of the book as it usually goes flying across the room.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Rawr! Kill it, Jackie. KillKILLKILL!"

Use fire!!

message 12: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Luke wrote: "Oh, the "two people who are thinking the exact same thing but can't bear to communicate it with the other person". That one annoys me to hell and back. "JUST TALK TO THE OTHER PERSON" I scream to t..."

Completely agree... Lack of communication in books is a HUGE pet peeve for me. I hate it. So much. SO SO MUCH.

message 13: by Luke (new)

Luke | 333 comments It's so much worse when the author lets you know that both characters feel the exact same way. It's like watching a TV show where you know both people love each other but for some damn reason they're the only ones that blindly can't see that the other person feels the same, when really it's just a crutch to keep the main characters from falling in love too early.

message 14: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments That is annoying, but I could kind of see the hesitance as a "don't want to be rejected" thing.

For me, what's worse is when the lack of communication causes confusion and chaos that could be avoided if one person just was like "Hey, before we start this blood feud, did you call my daughter a whore? No? Well, I guess we're cool then. Wanna hang out and play Skyrim?"

message 15: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Supposedly strong, independent characters (usually women) that suddenly become TSTL (Too Stupid To Live) - Usually due to pride (not asking for help when needed), secrets (if I tell they'll be angry, hurt, someone will hurt them or *gasp* they'll want to help me), or a their love interest.

Grrrrrrrr!

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "That is annoying, but I could kind of see the hesitance as a "don't want to be rejected" thing.

For me, what's worse is when the lack of communication causes confusion and chaos that could be avo..."

I feel you - though I'm not really one for pining. I go for who likes me...

message 17: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Luke wrote: "Oh, the "two people who are thinking the exact same thing but can't bear to communicate it with the other person". That one annoys me to hell and back. "JUST TALK TO THE OTHER PERSON" I scream to t..."

Becky wrote: "That is annoying, but I could kind of see the hesitance as a "don't want to be rejected" thing.

For me, what's worse is when the lack of communication causes confusion and chaos that could be avo..."

These!!! Very much these!!!

message 18: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "Love Triangles. May they all triangle in hell."

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. YES!

message 19: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 46 comments 1. Characters doing stupid, out of character things to advance the plot
2. The forced hookup that's in nearly every thriller. "Wow, the hero is hooking up with the hot nuclear physicist. Never saw that coming..."
3. Prophecies

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Luhman (andrea_luhman) | 8 comments Luke wrote: "It's so much worse when the author lets you know that both characters feel the exact same way. It's like watching a TV show where you know both people love each other but for some damn reason they'..."

It's a Shakespearean plot people love to copy. I think its one we see writers put to much in and forget the less is more concept.

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Luhman (andrea_luhman) | 8 comments Dan wrote: "1. Characters doing stupid, out of character things to advance the plot
2. The forced hookup that's in nearly every thriller. "Wow, the hero is hooking up with the hot nuclear physicist. Never sa..."

I agree with everything except the prophecies part. I happen to like prophecies-at least the kind that add some mystery or conflict. That's just me though.

message 22: by Lee (new)

Lee | 939 comments I like prophecies, but I like them more when they aren't obvious. And I like prophecies that are more curse than promise. But I'm not a fan of the, 'chosen one' who is meant to save the world type of prophecy. Although, I do love the Harry Potter books.

message 23: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Nienna wrote: "I like prophecies, but I like them more when they aren't obvious. And I like prophecies that are more curse than promise. But I'm not a fan of the, 'chosen one' who is meant to save the world type of prophecy. Although, I do love the Harry Potter books."

But I think Harry's different because of how the prophecy is handled in the story.

1. We don't learn about it until the tail end of book 5 in the series - not from page 1 of book 1 (oh, good, another prophesied hero!); 2. it's a personal prophecy, not a prophecy that's been around for hundreds or thousands of years waiting for fulfillment; and 3. it was only the misinterpretation of it/assumption that related it to Harry in the first place.

I mean, I guess that could apply to other prophesies, especially the misinterpretation bit, but I just feel like usually prophesies are relied on too heavily as a neon flashing arrow pointing at the main character saying "THIS IS YOUR HERO AND HERE'S WHY!!!"

I like that Harry is just a kid, and that the prophecy could have existed but never affected him (or anyone) at all except for a misunderstanding. lol

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Luhman (andrea_luhman) | 8 comments I liked the prophecies in Narnia, Lloyd Alexander's Black Cauldron series, and most recently Game of Thrones. Spot on about the Harry Potter prophecy Becky, it did add some good conflict through misunderstanding. That made it enjoyable. I'm scratching my head trying to think of the books with "this is your hero and here's why". Why am I blanking on this-because I know I've read a few with this in them? Maybe it was so obvious it was pointless? Help me out here-which ones am I forgetting?

message 25: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments The Sword in the Stone is one of the classics. You know who the hero is by the prophecy which says they'll be the one who can pull the sword out.

message 26: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments The Belgariad.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I hate forced romances, where the hero just so happens to meet a woman (or man, or it thing, you gotta give the benefit of the doubt lol) and that becomes a side thing where they have to save the world and take this girl (or other) out for coffee. like, seriously?

also, the whole dependency on that one character instead of oh I don't know, bringing in back-up? yeah that bugs me for some reason
sometimes stuff like that can work out but a lot of the times it really just makes it more like other books instead of a stand out type book

message 28: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Michael wrote: "I hate forced romances, where the hero just so happens to meet a woman (or man, or it thing, you gotta give the benefit of the doubt lol) and that becomes a side thing where they have to save the w..."

So true on all counts!

Also, I much prefer "group efforts" to the single hero; it just makes more sense, really.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Nyssa wrote: "Michael wrote: "I hate forced romances, where the hero just so happens to meet a woman (or man, or it thing, you gotta give the benefit of the doubt lol) and that becomes a side thing where they ha..."

exactly how I feel, like Lord of the Rings is a joint effort, The Dark Tower also joint, several great stories are not just one lone hero who is too stubborn for his own good. it ruins it for me for some reason.

message 30: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments 'Interesting' names which are unpronounceable.

Also, pretend mortal danger. If something's a light-hearted romp or suchlike it's fair enough that everyone survives. But if it's dark and grim and in the middle of a war then the whole cast surviving can often seem incredible.

When a plot or character (or characters) is used to advance a certain political message in a blatant, tiresome way. Messages can work (Animal Farm is fantastic), but I don't buy a book to be preached at.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Thaddeus wrote: "'Interesting' names which are unpronounceable.

Also, pretend mortal danger. If something's a light-hearted romp or suchlike it's fair enough that everyone survives. But if it's dark and grim and i..."

I definitely agree with the first, and i'm a little too ignorant to really pick up on political means, that stuff flies right over my head so it don't bother me much, but I can see it affecting others

message 32: by Luke (new)

Luke | 333 comments A'p'o's't'r'o'p'h'e's' all throughout fantasy names. Really, just come up with a cool name and leave the apostrophes out of it.

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee | 939 comments I hate names that are too similar.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Luke wrote: "A'p'o's't'r'o'p'h'e's' all throughout fantasy names. Really, just come up with a cool name and leave the apostrophes out of it."

Oh, I really agree with that.

message 35: by Becky, Modderific (last edited Feb 23, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Nienna wrote: "I hate names that are too similar."

Yes. I'm having this issue with GOTM. Surly and Sulty and Sorry are just really similar. And Surly changes her name, so I'm not sure why "Surly" was used, unless there's a thing about female names that start with S, end in Y and are only 5 letters long. LOL

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Becky wrote: "Nienna wrote: "I hate names that are too similar."

Yes. I'm having this issue with GOTM. Surly and Sulty and Sorry are just really similar. And Surly changes her name, so I'm not sure why "Surly" ..."

never thought it was a peeve but the asshole part of me wants to kinda do it now in a future thing haha something like Thorne Thorn and Thourn XD lol

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Nienna wrote: "I hate names that are too similar."

Yes. I'm having this issue with GOTM. Surly and Sulty and Sorry are just really similar. And Surly changes her name, so I'm not sure why "Surly" ..."

You, I have the feeling that the name thing won't be as big a deal until later books. Looking at the series list I *think* several of the books will deal with the time period before Surly changes her name.

message 38: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Just wait until you meet Sluty.

message 39: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I still have to take a second to remember which is Sarumon and which is Sauron.

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "Just wait until you meet Sluty."

Wait...

lol

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Colleen wrote: "I still have to take a second to remember which is Sarumon and which is Sauron."

That one annoyed me, too.

message 42: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Chris wrote: "Just wait until you meet Sluty."

And Salty and Silty and Snowy and Study?

message 43: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments And their cousins, Spacy and Spazzy and Sparky

message 44: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Spazzy and Sparky are second cousins... they have 6 letter names. :P

message 45: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments Hehe, how about Spzzy and Sprky then?

message 46: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments LOL

message 47: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments LOL

message 48: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I think there really is a Salty.

In the second book, we have Stormy, Sawark, Sulmar, and Squint. They have six letters, but are male.

message 49: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments And for Luke's enjoyment, it could be Sp'zy and Sp'ky... ;)

message 50: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Chris wrote: "I think there really is a Salty.

In the second book, we have Stormy, Sawark, Sulmar, and Squint. They have six letters, but are male."

Awesome.

« previous 1 3 4