Penny Dreadful Digital Book Club discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
FRANKENSTEIN > Gothic Fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Showtime (new) - added it

Showtime Networks (showtimenetworks) | 11 comments Mod
Frankenstein is a unique character whose legacy lives beyond the printed page. Everyone has heard of "Frankenstein", as the story has been told and retold, passed down from generation-to-generation, and seen in many films throughout the years. But, few have actually ever read the book.

Mary Shelley’s "Frankenstein" was first published in 1818, the latter part of the horror fiction movement dubbed Gothic fiction, which is the topic of our first discussion:

Gothic Novel – The term and style of literature first came to popularity in the mid to late 18th Century. Key elements include:
-The plot is designed to bring fear to the reader
-The supernatural are part of the story; in this case Frankenstein’s monster and unexplained happenings
-A sense of doom with a victim at the heart of the story
-Foreshadowing – hints and clues about what’s to come that heighten the sense of fear and doom
-A Gothic setting and weather to set the atmosphere such as a mansion and stormy nights
-Female characters that find themselves in frightening situations
-Cinematic descriptions that depict darkness

Question for discussion:
What Gothic elements does Mary Shelley use in "Frankenstein"?

Check back later this week for a note from Penny Dreadful creator John Logan, “Who is the monster?"

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat | 5 comments Just finished the book and of course all of the elements described above are in it. Once I adjusted to the archaic prose, I found the book a great read. Since I was familiar with the story from early movies, I found that the book painted a much darker story, as one's imagination painted the picture of what Frankenstein's monster might look like, and what his actions might appear. The description of him "leering" at a window is enough for my imagination to draw my curtains tight at night!

A great read, and am glad that I finally read this classic.