Shut Up & Read discussion

Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
This topic is about Ignite Me
Archives > Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 15889 comments Mod
We will be starting tomorrow. How many chapters/day?

message 2: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheri | 12306 comments Mod
I can't see how many chapters until it loads onto my Kindle. Are you listening to or reading this one?

message 3: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I ordered the audio of both ignite Me and Cress.

message 4: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMG! Warner! Even though I read his book it was hard to see his vulnerable sensitive side. I continued to see the man his father wants him to be.

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMG! I made myself stop on ch 15.

message 6: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

15 chapters would be about right, so lets do that each day.

message 7: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thank you for accepting my problem. LOL

message 8: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love the poetic feel of her writing!

message 9: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leigh, did you keep going? You're going to finish it before I even get to start! I'm going to take your iPad away ;)

message 10: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Feb 04, 2014 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I stopped on ch 32. I admitted I have a problem iso that is the first step to maybe getting help. Lol

I switched to Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead and am loving it.

I need to get a physical copy of this book. I would love to highlight quotes. I am so loving Kenji! I want one.

I am ready to discuss.

message 11: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Warner is such an enigma.

I'm not entirely sold on the 'new and improved' Warner yet. I'm not really feeling all of his explanations for his behavior. It makes me wonder if the author had the whole story planned out from the beginning, and this is the direction she saw it going in, or if she played it by ear and all of the sudden decided Warner should really be a good guy after playing the bad guy all along.

message 12: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am so with you on that. I have thought he was sick , twisted like his father but it has all been an act. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around until I read further and the whole world tipped over. WTH!

There really wasn't much to discuss in the first 15 chapters since it was just her and Warner. Don't worry it picks up quickly and I had a hard time stopping.

message 13: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Did you read Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5) by Tahereh Mafi ? If not, you should. It's the short story that comes between book 2 and 3. It is Adam's perspective of what happened when they went out to fight and Juliette disappears.

message 14: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I haven't read that one. I read the from Warner's perception.

message 15: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

WTH! Every time I finish a book it seems I add ten more. I will never catch up. I just added a new series Vampire Academy. I really enjoyed the 1st book. I can't seem to finish all the series I have started either. Oh well. What's one more. Lol

message 16: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lol, I'm the same. I've kind of made it my goal this year not to start a series without finishing it right away...and trying to finish all the series I had started in the past. I'm doing good so far. I have actually finished two series in January :)

My real goal, though, is to knock out as many NG books as I can. I have requested way too many books from there, some of which are series! Once I get those done I will start something new. VA is on my to-read list.

message 17: by Duks (new)

Duks (cnduks_) | 1836 comments I have to go buy my copy!!!

message 18: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

You go girl! I am trying to catch up with series I have started. I have 3 books left to review from NG so I am not too far behind.

I had to read VA because my daughter wants to see the movie. She is reading it too.

I am trying to read the books for the movies I want to see this year.

message 19: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Duks wrote: "I have to go buy my copy!!! "

It is so good!

message 20: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finally got through chapter 30! It's been a busy couple of days. So thoughts...

First, did we know that Warner (view spoiler)? I don't recall that from the first two books, but it was mentioned so casually here, like it was something we should have known.

Second, I ♥ Kenji. He's so super hilarious. He tells it like it is and gets right to the heart of things.

Third, Adam is being such a jerk. Again, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I understand why he is mad, really, but to be so angry. (view spoiler).

I see you've finished. Super jealous. Maybe I can get finished by tomorrow night :)

message 21: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh yeah, and Adam's argument that "we never broke up!" reminded me of that Friend's episode..."we were on a break!" Hehe.

message 22: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am so glad you are catching up so much to talk about. First (view spoiler)

Adam made me so mad. He was cruel to her. I guess we all have a dark side. I thought she was suppose to be with Adam from the beginning but Warner started worming his way in the last book especially at the very end.
Adam's augment was ridiculous.

I love Kenji! He is my favorite character. He has some amazing lines/quotes.
I wish I had print version to highlight them. It will happen.

Don't be jealous! I didn't have to dig myself out my driveway or help keep kids occupied because they were home from school. You will catch up.

message 23: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Feb 06, 2014 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Some quotes I like.

“Aaron Warner Anderson, chief commander and regent of Sector 45, son of the supreme commander of The Reestablishment.

He has a soft spot for fashion.”
― Tahereh Mafi, Ignite Me

“I like the way I feel about myself when I'm with him." I say quietly. "Warner thinks I'm strong and smart and capable and he actually values my opinion. He makes me feel like his equal--like I can accomplish just as much as he can, and more. And if I do something incredible, he's not even surprised. He expects it. He doesn't treat me like I'm some fragile little girl who needs to be protected all the time.”

“Words, I think, are such unpredictable creatures.
No gun, no sword, no army or king will ever be more powerful than a sentence.Swords may cut and kill, but words will stab and stay, burying themselves in our bones to become corpses we carry into the future, all the time digging and failing to rip their skeletons from our flesh.”

message 24: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Feb 06, 2014 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through chapter 50-something. I have to work now, but I'll be able to finish tonight.

I'm still not completely able to wrap my head around Warner and Warner/Juliette, but I do actually understand her reasoning for not being with Adam. She made valid points - like your second quote up there. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Warner since the beginning, so I'm glad we get to see this 'softer' side of him.

I have some quotes, too, that I marked last night. The last one of yours was in my favorites.

message 25: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Do you have any of Kenji's quotes highlighted?

I can understand why Juliette fell for Adam. He was her savior, the one person that "truly" cared for her, the only thing that she knew. When Warner came around and started showing her that she could have more, she was more, strong not weak. It makes sense that she was confused about her feelings for both of them. Adam wanted her to be who she was growing up, weak and needy, so he could protect her. Warner telling her she had options. She could be who she wanted to be.

Warner totally won me over.

message 26: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't think I highlighted any of Kenji's but I'll go back and look for some after I finish.

message 27: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kenji's are the best but thet don't have too many in the quotes for the book.

message 28: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok, so the book was really good. The way it ended though there is almost room for another book. However, I'm not sure I would want another one. We've talked about this before - ending on a high note - and I hope it stays that way. Except maybe a spinoff when James is older?

message 29: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I totally agree. I want to know how Juliette and Warner rule the world. What becomes of that world. Warner, Adam and James brothers, a happy family?

How did you feel about Warner in the end?

Their powers remind me of X-men. Love them!

message 30: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Feb 07, 2014 06:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I liked Warner at the end. I'd always had a love/hate relationship with him, but I think Mafi did a pretty good job showing his and J's evolution.

It's always hard when you like the bad guy. Warner, I think, is more of a result of his circumstances. He did what he did to please his father. It doesn't make it right, but he isn't so evil that he doesn't realize that what he did was wrong. I liked his reaction to Adam. He was so starved for some connection to something good.

I think my only complaint about the book is that the whole thing with Anderson happened too quickly without much fanfare. I would have loved to see a little more fighting or more of a battle.

message 31: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Have you read Switch (New World, #1) by Janelle Stalder ? Very good. I finished the second on last week. Same kind of situation where the "bad guy" isn't so bad after all, though he's done some very bad things. You should read them :)

message 32: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Anderson "battle" was a let down. I'm glad he is dead but I thought it would more dramatic. His protector had cool powers though.

Those books are on my TBR list.

message 33: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Are we reading Cress (Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Monday?

message 34: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes please :)