Struggling Writers discussion

Heather Farthing
This topic is about Heather Farthing
Discussions > Nookpress and Smashwords

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 128 comments I'm investigating other channels besides Kindle and wondering if anyone had any success stories and advice. My biggest problem is covers. I have little drawing talent or budget/trust to buy a cover. I wish more places had the design-a-cover the way Amazon does!

message 2: by A.L. (last edited Feb 03, 2014 11:11AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 104 comments Smashwords have a free style guide - get it and read it. SW is notoriously fickle with formatting. You know if you get accepted to the premium catalogue then you get shipped to Nook and other places besides. I can't help with covers but check the other groups, some people advertise them. Ditto Facebook.

Oh and if you didn't know there is GR smashwords group who are very helpful.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 128 comments I've asked about Smash there, I just couldn't find a Nook-specific group with a place that looked like this question was applicable. ^^;;

message 4: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Heather wrote: "I'm investigating other channels besides Kindle and wondering if anyone had any success stories and advice. My biggest problem is covers. I have little drawing talent or budget/trust to buy a cov..."

There are channels like Lulu where you can distribute to both B&N Nook as well as Apple's Istore.

There are also graphic artists who will do a cover at reasonable prices; some what the author can afford on their budget (whether it's $20 or $100) and others who charge set amounts from $45 to $65.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 128 comments Lulu and Lightening Source look awfully expensive. I think I read one of them has issues if your books don't sell. It's why I've been interested in primarily CreateSpace so far, I can publish completely free there.

But I hear it's a good idea not to put all one's eggs in one basket.

message 6: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments If you're concentrating on Epubs only, with Lulu you can DIY, get an ISBN, and do it for free. There is a cheesy cover designer, which is why I have paid for decent covers. Lulu doesn't penalize you if your books don't sell.

If you do print formats, the only unavoidable cost at Lulu is your proof approval copy. If you paid to have a cover made for an Epub, you can use the same cover for the print version of that book.

I offer a Kindle version of my work on Amazon, and the Epub for one book on Lulu, B&N Nook, and the Apple Istore, and one Epub on Lulu only.

The print versions of both show up all over.

I haven't dealt with SmashWords, and I won't deal with CreateSpace if I don't have to.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 128 comments I'm looking at a little bit of everything. Eventually I want to go into print.

message 8: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 104 comments The downside I have found with Createspace is for non US authors it is a pain in the bum getting author proofs. It is actually cheaper and quicker for me to proof online, buy the book on Amazon and get free postage in 5 days that pay more than the cost of the book and wait 4-6 weeks. I am not convinced the printing is great. I got 3 copies and every cover was slightly different. That said Lulu charge to get the book on Amazon, well actually too be fair that is Amazon's cut but it does mean you have to up price the books.

message 9: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments A.L. wrote: "The downside I have found with Createspace is for non US authors it is a pain in the bum getting author proofs. It is actually cheaper and quicker for me to proof online, buy the book on Amazon and..."

Lulu also works with printers in the UK, France, and Australia depending on print format.

Amazon gets it's cut whether you use CreateSpace or Lulu, the slight cost advantage to CreateSpace being Amazon owning the presses.

Whoever you use for print, remember that POD will always be more expensive than traditional printing, unless you're financially able to have 10,000 copies printed at a time.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 128 comments What's the cover policy on Nookpress? If I go ahead and upload some stories on Smashwords (after my KDP select terms ended, of course) without covers, could I add them later and be reconsidered for the premium catalog?