The Sword and Laser discussion

Reading Habits

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I definitely have to be in the right mood for something. I do feel like sometimes I need a break from SF&F, so I'll pick up a romance or a mystery or historical fiction. Also once I start a series I like I read it all straight through.

I don't make lists at all, and also have some trouble keeping with the club reads, though I will go back and read the ones I skipped when the mood finally fits.

I like reading all the comments and listening/watching the 'casts because they keep me interested and I don't mind spoilers.

I usually read/listen several hours a day, so I'm good at catching up when I want to.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 96 comments I am totally the moody reader and by moody I mean I will start out with a book and think meh I am bored and flip to something else. Which makes me a terrible buddy read friend and I almost never get to the book of the month in the actual month a book is being read.

Typically I pick up whatever looks interesting and in that moment.

I do try to prioritize my library books because I feel like a jerk to keep renewing just because I am not in the mood.

message 3: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments I got into the habit of breaking up series because I read faster than most authors can write. But now I have a to-read list with hundreds of books on it and by the time I come around to a series again, I've forgotten what happened before and who everyone is. So I'm mixing up my habits and trying to finish series, especially series that are already finished.

message 4: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments I typically don't read two books back-to-back by the same author or in the same genre, to try to avoid "overdosing."

I'm a pretty "moody" reader, too. I want to read what I want to read when I want to read it.

message 5: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments I'm much the same as Gregor in that I rarely read books back-to-back by the same author. The last few years I have tried to accelerate my series reading by getting to a new one every month or so, leaving it for a year makes the story hard to follow:)

Same here in terms of not being in the right mood sometimes. Hence I don't always read the S&L picks at the same time as everyone else.

message 6: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2783 comments I'm a streaky reader. I can easily read the same author back to back (Dresden files series, from start to finish in 5 weeks), but I have to be in the mood to read at all. If I am, I tend to read a fair bit and really dive in (i.e. not read 20 mins here and there but a couple of hours a day).

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I'm a streaky and moody reader. There are times I'll read a series back-to-back but times where I need to break it up. If I don't feel like reading something, I'll quit. I also don't read as much when I'm on a video game binge.

message 8: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 148 comments I tend to pick my next read by mood. If the mood persists, I might read an entire series, multiple books by the same author, or similar genres. Something completely different is just as likely for a follow on choice, though. I'm more likely to read a series as a re-read, either in preparation for the next book to release, or when I'm in the mood to revisit an old friend.

The closest I might come to a reading plan is participating in a reading challenge for a group here on goodreads - but even then, I almost always have multiple picks for any given slot in the challenge, and still end up picking from that pool to suit my mood.

While it is fun to read something at the same time as others, the pick just doesn't always work for me. There are more books that I want to read in this world than I will ever have time to read, so forcing myself to read something "for pleasure" that I'm not enjoying is a poor investment of precious, precious reading time. :-)

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1137 comments I'm mostly random in terms of what type of book I read. Nowadays, if I haven't read the current club pick I'll do that, otherwise I alternate between past club picks and random books off my shelves that I haven't read yet whether they're SF, F, non-fiction or other.
Right now I'm reading a book of logic puzzles that I bought 30 years ago but never got around to before now.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8317 comments The last time I had a reading plan was in college. Since that was 27 years ago, I guess I'm also a moody reader.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments I'll go through phases where I read non-stop and finish book after book. But then, and I don't know why, I'll suddenly switch off and it may be months before I pick up a book again. It happens every year.

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Knighton | 158 comments I always have several books on the go at a time, to suit my different moods. So I've currently got the club pick as my relaxing end of the day read, a book on Saudi crafts to inform my writing, a couple of management books that I'm reading for work, and another fiction book on my Kindle for reading in the gym. It means it takes me forever to get through anything, but I've always got something on the go to suit my mood.

The pool of books I'm picking those from can get a bit random. I'm prone to whimsical choices in charity shops, picking up books on unusual topics that I then take forever to read. It means that a lot of my reading is determined by the pile of books I'm trying to reduce by the side of my bed, or recommendations from friends that I've acquired so that we can talk about them later - hence the appeal of joining this group.

message 13: by J.R. (new)

J.R. (Hyper10n) | 10 comments I tend to get distracted easily when I'm reading, so I can't have the tv on in the background or anything. But weirdly if I'm having trouble with a book, if I put on music I feel fits the mood of the book it helps me stay focused on it.

message 14: by Bawa (last edited Feb 06, 2014 05:16AM) (new)

Bawa I usually read during my commute, being thrown from one side to the other of the subway while trying to ignore the peculiar odor people tend to emanate after 8 hours of work under this damn weather we've been having (South hemisphere, so Summer here).
So it boils down to my reading on my phone, listening to music and enduring the whole trip back home.

I must admit this actually soothes the pain of commuting.

Oh, and I have no reading list. I just look at my shelves and decide on the ones I haven't read.

message 15: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments The books that I choose to read are largely determined by my reactions to the book I've read previously. For example, I read Brandon Sanderson's The Final Empire last month and that knocked me onto a modern fantasy kick, which I followed up with Jim Butcher's Fool Moon, Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear's Iskryne World novels and Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes.

But then, The Heroes wore me out a bit (it's an excellent book but hard going) and so I jumped ship to Hugh Howey's Half Way Home and that's started me on a run of Sci-Fi,which I'm following up with Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey and I'll probably move onto one of the Star Trek relaunch novels next because I'm craving sci-fi. And I'll stay on that sci-fi run until I hit a book I either don't like or I get the urge to read something different.

As for when I read, normally while travelling on the bus to and from work. I get a good 30-ish minute block each way and most of the time that's a good length for me before I start to get distracted. But, if a book really grabs me then I'll sit at home for hours and zome out into a book. I'll listen to audiobooks while working nights because I'm in the office alone and I need something to distract me from the noise of the machines running downstairs.

message 16: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 124 comments I tend to read multiple books at once (sf/f, audio, mystery, fiction) and what I read really depends on where I'm at.
I usually don't read sf/f during short reading times (lunch break at work, before dinner) etc. because I want to immerse myself in the world and a 20 minute reading stint doesn't allow me to do that.
I usually never read an author twice in a row. Even in the middle of a series I'll read a few books between series books, I just find that sf/f books "feel" better to me if I take breaks