What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Jewels for a Crown (Victorian Serenade #3)
This topic is about Jewels for a Crown
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA (I think) fiction, about nanny for young girl with epilepsy who uses condition to get her way, not set in present day but I forget the time period, spoiler. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments I read this book when I was in fourth grade, sometime between January and May of 2007. This may not be a good indicator of reading level, though, as I could read at a post-high school level by this time. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a book for lower than fourth or fifth grade, but was probably intended for teenagers. It was from the library at Kyiv Christian Academy (in Ukraine). I'm pretty sure it was hardcover, and I think it had a pink dust jacket with an oval (vertical) with a picture of (I think at least partially) the front of an old fashioned, large, white house. I can't remember the title but I think it had something to do with a window, though I'm not completely sure on this. It was about a nanny or governess who has to care for a young girl with epilepsy who consistently uses the threat of becoming upset and having a seizure to get her way. I think she sometimes fakes it. I remember one scene where she really wants a balloon and, when the governess says no, she either has or pretends to have a seizure. I have searched for this book on Google but I can't find it anywhere, though a lot of epilepsy forums come up. Please help! I would like to find this book again and haven't been able to because I forgot the title. Thanks!

(NOT SPECIFIC) SPOILER:The governess and girl do become friends by the end.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Katie--was this an English language book? Or a translation of an English language book?

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments It was an English language book.

message 4: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments This is probably a long shot, but is it by chance Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing? by Zoa Sherburne?

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments No, but thanks for the suggestion! And that looks like a good book. I'll have to read it sometime :)

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Jewels for a Crown Jewels for a Crown (Victorian Serenade #3) by Lawana Blackwell ?

One Amazon review says: "This book picks up the story of Corrine's daughter Jenny from book #2, who is now grown and finishing nurse's training. She is chosen to be a private nurse for a little girl with epilepsy for the period of 2 years in order to repay her education funding. Once Jenny meets twelve-year-old Celeste, however, she realizes that she has a huge task in front of her. Petted and spoiled due to her disease and the frequent absence of her widower father, Celeste is a commanding presence to deal with. She dismisses servants at her whim and takes no responsibility for her actions."

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments That's it! I guess I was wrong on a couple details like the cover and the name (I have no clue where I got window from that). Thank you so much!

message 8: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments I'm glad someone was able to identify it, because I want to read it! :-)

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
JEWELS FOR A CROWN The Story of the Chagall Windows

Could that possibly be the reason for the "window" memory Katie?

(I've shelved the book but am waiting to see what you say in answer to this before moving this down to Solved)

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments That may be why. I probably associated the two books (I think my my grandparents gave my parents the one you just mentioned) because they have basically the same titles (just with the addition of windows on one). And thanks for moving it to solved. I have no clue how and was about to try to ask someone. :)