Miss MacIntosh, My Darling discussion

Reading Miss MacIntosh > 11 -- Staring at moonlight scissoring the darkness... (186)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 95 comments chapter11 page 186

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 44 comments a two page chapter, as the Mother dreams her way through the P's, Q's and R's of her visitors - animal, vegetable, mineral and mythology...

Staring at the moonlight scissoring the darkness, I wondered - how should I endure this isolation, for I could not be like my mother, and no mere illusion would suffice me? I would always be able to tell just where the dream ended, where the reality began, even as Miss MacIntosh had taught me through her denial of those things which did not exist."

Again here a repetition of this central theme, contradicted and subverted by the wonderful dreaming words which follow - the beauty of her mother's vision, and the text itself, fighting against the Real.

Too we should note this on Rameses, which clearly applies to the narrator herself (and the Mother, and all of Us) - "the beautiful, parabolic confusion of his dream life had been caused by the fact that he had been partitioned into many selves without his knowing it, without his consent, that as Rameses III he had dreamed the dreams of Rameses I who was already dead."