Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Past nominations (closed) > March 2014 Short Story / Novella / Anthology Nominations complete

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2014 06:22PM) (new)

Announcement chyron

Please use this topic to suggest a Fantasy or Science Fiction Short Story, Novelette, Novella, Collection or Anthology of shorter works for our group's March, 2014, discussion (beginning March 11.)

It's very helpful if you can indicate where an individual story is still in print, either individually or in some anthology or on a website.

You can review past nominees and winners in the group's Bookshelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

You do need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to.

Note that this is our discussion selection for March. Our February short story topic has already been chosen as the novella Fast Times at Fairmont High by Vernor Vinge.

Nominations will be open through Monday, February 10, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Andreas (last edited Feb 03, 2014 09:42AM) (new)

Andreas What would you think about an anthology like The Hard SF Renaissance or the just available 2014 Campbellian Anthology?

Just asking before nominating because they are quite large.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2014 10:42AM) (new)

Andreas wrote: "What would you think about an anthology like The Hard SF Renaissance or the just available 2014 Campbellian Anthology? ..."

Well, since I just this morning decided to purchase our February novella, "Fast Times at Fairmont High" in The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge Collection instead of in The Hard SF Renaissance anthology, I'd say your nomination arrived about 2 hours too late to save me money ;(

But either is acceptable as a nomination, if that's what you're asking!

message 4: by Andreas (new)

Andreas You're always so impatient, G33z3r, and reading things before the date, that's why :)

My question was more regarding the size though.

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments I agree that length shouldn't be a barrier to nomination. If people don't want to read so much, they can vote for something different. But I think anthologies especially lend themselves to being able to jump into the discussion without having finished an entire tome. Both of those titles sound interesting, Andreas (although I probably wouldn't vote for the Campbell anthology, since I like my reads on paper).

G33z3r, I too am hoping to read the full Vernor Vinge Collected this month. I like how he he has little introductions to the stories that include spoiler warnings where appropriate!

I, however, will nominate a single-author collection for March: Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories by Elizabeth Bear. I haven't read any of her shorter works, and I'm always interested in her ideas (although not always in love with her prose style). Shoggoths includes two Hugo winners (the title novelette and "Tideline").

Now I just need to start actually posting in the discussion forums ... cohere, inchoate reader reactions ...

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments There were some really interesting looking collections out last year such as Conservation of Shadows and North American Lake Monsters: Stories.

I will nominate the Yoon Ha Lee Conservation of Shadows - I have not read anything by her before but it looks well worth reading.

message 7: by Andreas (new)

Andreas As Hillary and Ben nominate already anthologies, I'll nominate another novella. This month, we did some time-traveling with Connie Willis. So
Palimpsest by Charles Stross (not the one by Valente!) should fit. It is essentially a rewrite of Asimov's The End of Eternity. You'll find it published for example in Wireless.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 06, 2014 07:02AM) (new)

Andreas wrote: "What would you think about an anthology like The Hard SF Renaissance or the just available 2014 Campbellian Anthology?..."

You're still going to pick one, right?

message 9: by Andreas (new)

Andreas G33z3r wrote: "Andreas wrote: "What would you think about an anthology like The Hard SF Renaissance or the just available 2014 Campbellian Anthology?..."

You're still going to pick ..."

Na, I didn't get clear answers. That's why I did my nomination in msg 7.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2014 06:22PM) (new)

Announcement chyron

Thank you for the nominations. (Nominations are now closed.) The poll is now open for final Novella/Collection selection for March.

Please Click Here to Vote for the Novella or Collection you want to discuss in the group in March, 2014.

Poll is open through Monday, February 17.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2014 05:21PM) (new)

Announcement chyron

I almost forgot to remind people there's only a few hours left to vote for the Novella or Collection you want to discuss in the group in March. Please Click Here to Vote if you wish.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron
Our selection for our March group Anthology is:

Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories by Elizabeth Bear Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories by Elizabeth Bear

The discussion will start March 11. See you then!

message 13: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments A solid number of these stories are available free online for people not sure if they want to buy the collection. http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/El... links to most of what I have found available free and at least 75% of this collection can be read or listened to online for free.

Dolly is a story that I think most people who like Asimov's robot crime novels will really enjoy and it is one of those available free.

message 14: by Andreas (new)

Andreas I just remembered that Range of Ghosts from Mrs Bear was Beyond Reality's BoM in January. I wasn't able to get reading that novel, though.