Horror Aficionados discussion

Horrorpedia > Derry, Maine or Silent Hill?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments When it comes to horror which would freak you out more end up - Dairy, Maine or Silent Hill?

message 2: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments Initially, Silent Hill. I think Derry would hold too much fascination for me in the beginning.

message 3: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments I'd just go camping at Crystal Lake

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Ugh Silent Hill is much more creepy. So tiny seeming and isolated with ... no. Derry would be creepy, but would rather brave it. Maine is so spread out it would be the least disturbing.

message 5: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3147 comments Oh Silent Hill definitely! Very, very creepy!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Silent hill. Just the overall atmosphere yells out "you are going to die"
Dairy is more a, in the shadows scary. It looks peaceful but your screwed either way

message 7: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments Silent Hill, for sure. That place is the epitome of creepiness, especially when that alarm sounds....

message 8: by KumeKei (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments I think the alarm and the sound of Piramid Head dragging that giant sword behind him give Silent hill the edge when it comes to creepiness.
Not being able to see due to darkness, fog or a combo of both doesn't help either.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 105 comments Silent Hill definitely!
I live less than 10 miles away from Centrailia Pennsylvania where they got the movie idea.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments I feel like King's universe is signing up for a long game of horror and Silent Hill is just trouble at the go. I pick Silent Hill though because the games convinced me it's a personal purgatory/hell for anyone haunted enough who ends up there. Like Dark Alyssa said in the second film:

"Are you sure he's here? Everyone has a different nightmare in Silent Hill."

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Has anyone seen the new trailer to Silent Hills? It looks amazing.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments Yes. I was full on fan-girling and cowering.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments What do you think about Norman Reedus being in it?

message 14: by Plaguedoctor (new)

Plaguedoctor Jonathan wrote: "Has anyone seen the new trailer to Silent Hills? It looks amazing."

Yessss! I'm excited just because Hideo Kajima is working on it. It doesn't seem like the type of genre he'd be all that into, but I'm still excited to see what he has to offer. I'm not a big fan of The Walking Dead, but I do like Norman Reedus. I can't help but feel like this is a random mash up of developers though, and a random popular actor that they just decided should be thrown in there as the main character.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a little skeptical of how well the Silent Hill(s) game is going to be, yet I have to admit I am excited and will be buying it the moment it comes out. If it's a waste of my moneys then so be it.

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty  (linkypie) Silent Hill! Just thinking about playing the first game on my PlayStation with all the TERRIFYING rooms you have to brave to find clues to get the hell out of there would be bad enough, never mind travelling to hospitals and having to deal with those sinister nurses...eck, thinking about it is creepy enough. Derry would suck, don't get me wrong, but at least you would be in the company of average human citizens for most of your stay...

message 17: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Aug 14, 2014 02:00PM) (new)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 37 comments OOh, Silent Hill, all the way! And my boyfriend just told me they're remaking the original game, with Guillermo del Toro (love his movies, but if you haven't read his The Strain trilogy, I recommend it highly.) and Norman Reedus (bow and arrow dude from Walking Dead) both attached to the project. Should be el creeptacular, indeed.

Derry's pretty freaky, too, but as long as I'd stay out of the sewer with that totally twisted 'We aaalll float down here....' clown, I think it'd be much more mellow than Silent Hill. Man, the Silent Hill soundtrack alone is terrifying.

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments I'm 1000% for this game and Norman being in it. if they can make me have a panic attack over a hallway I'll be under the couch once the fog is rolling in :D

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Does anyone know if this is going to be a PS4 exclusive? Or will it be in the X-Box One as well?

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments oh check out the trailer for Until Dawn - another good looking game

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Oh I will. It sounds like we both have similar tastes in video games. :)

message 22: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 88 comments Depends, is It sleeping or not?

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments lol Gavin.

oh yeah, Jonathan, I dig survival horror and different approaches. Heavy Rain and Beyond two souls are faves too

message 24: by Plaguedoctor (new)

Plaguedoctor OddModicum Rachel wrote: "OOh, Silent Hill, all the way! And my boyfriend just told me they're remaking the original game, with Guillermo del Toro (love his movies, but if you haven't read his The Strain tril..."

I didn't really like The Strain that much.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 37 comments Plaguedoctor wrote: "OddModicum Rachel wrote: "OOh, Silent Hill, all the way! And my boyfriend just told me they're remaking the original game, with Guillermo del Toro (love his movies, but if you haven't read his [boo..."

I liked The Strain, but really started to get into it after the second book. Am looking to begin the third, but haven't gotten to it yet. I thought it was a pretty unique take on vampire mythos, myself. I also tend to like 'outbreak' themed stuff, so it was right up my alley. ;)

message 26: by Plaguedoctor (new)

Plaguedoctor OddModicum Rachel wrote: "Plaguedoctor wrote: "OddModicum Rachel wrote: "OOh, Silent Hill, all the way! And my boyfriend just told me they're remaking the original game, with Guillermo del Toro (love his movies, but if you ..."

I haven't read the rest of the series because I didn't like the first one that much, but maybe I should give it another chance and pick up the second one.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think I could get through "Until Dawn". looks way too intense. xp Another game I'm super stoked for is " the Order" and "the last of us" for ps4

message 28: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments last of us is my invitation to cry

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 37 comments My guy is the huge gamer in our family... I'm watching this thread so I can keep track of some killer titles that you guys love coming out for future gifting. Since Steam doesn't offer a digital gift card, I've had to get creative. ;)

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I know it is a off beat title but Siren Blood Curse was a very creepy PS3 exclusive.

It was a bit hard to beat but it was originally developed by the masterminds behind the first three Silent Hill games.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I know it is a off beat title but Siren Blood Curse was a very creepy PS3 exclusive.

It was a bit hard to beat but it was originally developed by the masterminds behind the first three Silent Hill..."

I tried to play "Siren" at my friend's sleep over when I was younger. I had no idea what I was doing so I reverted to running around the screen and screaming at my friend to tell me what to do. It did not end well.

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Ha ha ha. There are two versions of Siren. The one for the Playstation 2 didn't age well in my opinion. (Almost like the Playstation 1 version of Silent Hill 1 didn't age well despite me adoring that game to pieces.)

Plus the original Siren for PS2 was really hard. It has a very difficult learning curve. The one for the PS3 was much easier to get used to.

Here is the trailer to Siren Blood Curse for those interested.

http://youtu.be/1J3nVVX7kpU

You don't have to play the original Siren to understand what is going on. I skipped straight to Blood Curse and loved it.

message 33: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 136 comments Silent Hill. If that town wants you, you're boned.

message 34: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 74 comments Silent Hill. The games still freak me out when I replay them, and I've played all of them multiple times. I hope the new one has a PS3 version....

message 35: by Ciarán (new)

Ciarán  Williamson (hellowombat) | 10 comments Absolutely Silent Hill. I can't even manage to play those games myself. I always have to watch someone else play them. But do really like them. I just can't handle the anticipation!

message 36: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Of the two, Silent Hill would freak me out more. But what about Raccoon City?

(For those unaware, they are also currently working on a remake of the original Resident Evil game. Old game, new graphics. How freakin` awesome is that?)

message 37: by Plaguedoctor (new)

Plaguedoctor Shaun wrote: "Of the two, Silent Hill would freak me out more. But what about Raccoon City?

(For those unaware, they are also currently working on a remake of the original Resident Evil game. Old game, new gra..."

That is awesome! I didn't know that.

message 38: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Plaguedoctor wrote: "That is awesome! I didn't know that. ..."

Yeah. I heard it was going to be a possible TV series.

Link: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/a...

message 39: by Carl (new)

Carl Alves (carlalves) | 56 comments Derry is much more interesting.

message 40: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Which book is Derry from? It?

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelunabridged) | 325 comments Silent Hill, hands down. It is just so much more creepy than Derry.

message 42: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Sep 09, 2014 08:42PM) (new)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 37 comments Jonathan, Derry, Maine is the town in It, and if memory serves, it makes an appearance in a truckload of King titles. But definitely It, for sure. ;)

And hell yeah... I'd love to check out the new Resident Evil remake as a game, but I'd be over the moon if they made it a series. But who in the hell could play the main character as well as Milla? She's not an astoundingly talented actress or anything, but she is sort of iconic in that role, at this point. I'm assuming they're doing the same story, but goodness knows Raccoon City is creepy enough they could pull another plot line entirely out of it.

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 252 comments Silent Hill all the way!

message 44: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 49 comments I'm not saying I would do well but Silent Hill is just my go-to for dark existentialism lol

message 45: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I think Silent Hill would freak me out more. First off, it's way too friggin isolated and The transition from a foggy light environment to complete darkness. I gotta say that cult would freak me out just as much as the supernatural forces.

message 46: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Silent Hill for me all the way. Best game series ever even though it has weakened of late. Pyramid Head. Need I say more?

message 47: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Silent Hill.

message 48: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Plaguedoctor wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Has anyone seen the new trailer to Silent Hills? It looks amazing."

Yessss! I'm excited just because Hideo Kajima is working on it. It doesn't seem like the type of genre he'd be ..."

*~Lan Lan~* wrote: "I don't think I could get through "Until Dawn". looks way too intense. xp Another game I'm super stoked for is " the Order" and "the last of us" for ps4"

Yes! I would love to see what he can do with the series! It severely needs some fresh blood. I am severely bummed that all the great looking horror coming out seems to be all for the PS4. Or am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong!

message 49: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments PS 4 and maybe in XBOX too.

message 50: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Silent Hill for sure! Derry Maine is not as creepy as Silent Hill. I'd rather be lost in Derry then to be lost in Silent Hill. lol

« previous 1