Lit Lawvers discussion

Feedback > Ideas & Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Corey (new)

Corey (coreyhuffman) Hello everyone,

As we get Lit Lawvers up and running again, the format is going to play a big role. For March & April, the old "fiction & non-fiction" format is going to be placed on hold and will be brought back in May.

One of the debates currently finding it's place is whether or not our book selections should be legal related or not. I definitely think as we grow we can accommodate both sides. The question I think becomes how should the format of Lit Lawvers change to help accomplish this? What are your thoughts?

I want this thread to be a place where we can discuss what it is you would like to get out of this group? Suggestions on how the moderators can help you in that regard, and just overall suggestions on how the group should evolve. What we can do to get more participation from our current members? And how to get more people to join?

This thread is not for the exclusivity of the topics I brought up above, please feel free to give any all other other ideas and suggestions that you have and put them up for discussion.

Please also feel free to use the "Feedback" folder to start a new thread on other types of feedback you would like to give.

message 2: by Casey (last edited Mar 13, 2014 08:01AM) (new)

Casey Albert | 17 comments My sense is that there is a split between those who want to read books about the law, and those who want a break from the law to read something unrelated.

Two possible ideas to address this:
1. Instead of going with the "fiction" and "non-fiction" categories each month, make the categories "legal-related" and "non-legal related."
2. Keep the "fiction and "non-fiction" categories, but alternative every other month in each category between legal-related and non-legal related. You can stagger this so that every month there is a legal book and a non-legal book. For example, June could be legal fiction and non-legal non-fiction, and then July could be non-legal fiction and legal non-fiction.

Personally, I favor books that are not legal-related, because I read enough about the law already, but I still enjoy both.

message 3: by Corey (new)

Corey (coreyhuffman) That is a great suggestion and if Doug agrees, maybe we can create a poll to see if the members would like to make the change as well. We want everyone to get something out of our group, and don't want to hinder discussion, and I think you pose a real solution.

message 4: by Doug, Co-moderator (new)

Doug Cornelius (dougcornelius) | 169 comments Mod
I think Casey's idea is a great idea. I get a sense that most members have some connection to the law, but are split on wanting to read law-related or unrelated books. Let's try it for the June 2014 read and see what happens.

The Scrivener's Quill | 8 comments I would be in the category of reading books and finding concepts that relate to the law even through the book may not have a direct legal theme or court room approach. For example, I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.

message 6: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) Would it be worth considering have 2 group books each month? 1 legal, 1 non-legal. Then it would cater for those who like reading legal themed books and those who prefer something different.

message 7: by Doug, Co-moderator (new)

We have considered having two each month. As the group grows, that is the plan. Right now, two books would spread discussions and nominations very thin.

Vikki wrote: "Would it be worth considering have 2 group books each month? 1 legal, 1 non-legal. Then it would cater for those who like reading legal themed books and those who prefer something different."

message 8: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Chalom (2bitmonkey) | 2 comments Here's an idea for 2015: How about Reading Bingo specifically tailored for this group? The card could have a bunch of legal themed (but also non-legal themed) squares, and people will hopefully share the books they're reading to cover the card. Could be a nice way to share reading experiences and introduce each other to new books beyond Buddy Reads.

message 9: by Doug, Co-moderator (new)

Bingo sounds interesting. Send me your ideas and I'll trying putting something together.