Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > March 2014: Ireland (Master List and General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 19, 2014 06:08PM) (new)

Kathryn | 5945 comments Mod
This is the Master List and General Discussion for books about Ireland.

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 03, 2014 07:00AM) (new)

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

A few others that look good to me:

The Prince of Ireland and the Three Magic Stallions

Brigid's Cloak: An Ancient Irish Story (I'm getting conflicting info on the age range for this one; it might be an upper picture book level?)

Small Beauties: The Journey of Darcy Heart O'Hara (about emigrating from Ireland, but perhaps still relevant enough to the theme?)

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I know it's not a picture book, but because I always read this to my class around St. Pat's Day and they LOVED it, I'm going to suggest it to the readers who perhaps have older children or even just for themselves. It's by the great author Bill Brittain. All the Money in the World I'll take a look on my bookshelves for other books on Ireland. Leprechauns Never Lie is my favorite and a must-read!

message 6: by Karen (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 52 comments This Is Ireland is a picture /travel book from the 1960's -- it is a little long at 64 pages, but target age is 5-8.

message 9: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 17, 2014 06:29PM) (new)

Thank you for all the great nominations!

Please vote for the five books you would most like to read (chosen from our official nominations in messages 2-8) by posting those choices in a comment below.

Votes will be accepted until February 18th. Thank you!

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 13, 2014 03:44AM) (new)

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda M. (haygram) I loved the Children Of Lir, I first heard this folk story in Dungarvin in Ireland. This story is a wonder interpretation of the tale and should be on every child's to read list.

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

The votes are in and here are the books we will be reading together in March:

The Children Of Lir

The Man Who Loved Books

O'Sullivan Stew

Leprechauns Never Lie

Brave Margaret: An Irish Adventure

Sixth/Alternate:
The Irish Cinderlad

May the "luck o' the Irish" be with you in securing the books ;-)