CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Mini-Challenges > February Mini-challenge: Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) For the month of February, the challenge is to read a Fantasy novel. Find suggestions on the group's bookshelf or leave your recommendations here. Some of our branch libraries have also put up displays of Fantasy titles, so be sure to check those out!

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Hmmmm...I am going to have to look up what constitutes fantasy. Looking forward to it though. I read Dave Duncan. I'm not sure if he's fantasy.

message 3: by Lanette (new)

Lanette (prvrbs31gal) Gah! This is my least favorite. Although, Sarah Addison Allen's "Lost Lake" is newly out, and she always has some magical fantasy stuff going on in her books....

message 4: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt I just started reading "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartman. Dragon story, but definitely middle grade/YA. Good so far.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments Just finished reading Shadows by Robin McKinley. Great YA Fantasy full of magic, shape-shifters and the unknown! Some may find it a little slow / lagging but if you stick with it, it is well worth the read.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 471 comments I love Fantasy. My favorites include: David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, Tanya Huff, Fiona Patton, Jeanne Stein, Jennifer Rardin, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K. Hamilton, Patricia Briggs, Anne Bishop, Kelley Armstrong, Sylvia Day, and of course, Tolkien. :)

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, I think that counts. I'm reading A Dance with Dragons right now as well.

message 8: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
I'm going to have to check and see what is on my fantasy list and add it to this month!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 471 comments I'm rereading The Hunger Games, and will then read the other two in the trilogy (for the first time). I've seen Catching Fire twice, and an curious to see how the book is different from the movie. After that, I want to read Divergent, before the movie comes out.

message 10: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) I'm a little over halfway done with a fantasy, A Discovery of Witches, but I'm really finding it hard to finish. Looking at reviews, it appears most people either really really love it or absolutely hate it. I'm leaning toward the hate. If I hadn't already invested over 300 pages...ugh.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments Traci wrote: "I'm a little over halfway done with a fantasy, A Discovery of Witches, but I'm really finding it hard to finish. Looking at reviews, it appears most people either really really love it or absolutel..."

You just keep hoping it will get better!!! I just finished Misfit, it was the same way.... Waste of time but I had to finish it! Hope your next is much better!

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Tracy, I was one of those who did not like "A Discovery of Witches." I didn't end up finishing it. Just couldn't get into it. I hope you find something I couldn't in it!

message 13: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I finished Ready, Player One. Good book, but the whole time I kept thinking I was reading a book my son would have read. Lol
Last night I started the 5th Odd Thomas book - Deeply Odd, by Dean Koontz. This is my favorite series by him.
When I am driving around, I am listening to Pride & Prejudice. The formality & politeness of the characters is cracking me up & I think I like listening to it better than I would reading it. I would have never made it in society back then!

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Ingrid, I know exactly what you mean. I find myself rolling my eyes sometimes when I read historical fiction, even when it's really well done. I just can't imagine having to be "proper" all the time!

message 15: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Liz wrote: "Ingrid, I know exactly what you mean. I find myself rolling my eyes sometimes when I read historical fiction, even when it's really well done. I just can't imagine having to be "proper" all the time!"

I historical times, I would be kicked out of society & forced to live in the country home by myself with the servants because I stick my foot in my mouth all the time. Ha ha.