Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #3) Milk and Honey discussion

poorly written and lots of annoyances

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new) - rated it 1 star

Ally Cat This is my first FAYE Kellermen, I've read most of Jonathon K's books. I am told she gets better with her more recent books. I sure hope so because this one was riddled with issues. The basic story was OK but the writing is just terrible. As with her husband, she feels the need to describe in great detail the clothing that everyone wears, right down to a dishrag someone holds. I have an imagination and I like to use it. For a non Jewish person the Jewish language and religious stuff was really annoying. The overuse of the N word was also really offensive and not necessary. There is lots of boring filler in this book, about 100 pages worth,
as if she got paid per word. And there are mistakes, such as when someone gets shot three times but she spends time looking for a 6th bullet. Certain characters are created and described in detail as if they are important and then just disappear off the planet.
I was led to believe, looking at how this series is billed (A Decker/Lazarus mystery), that this was an investigative "team", a crime fighting duo, but that's not the case. I am baffled as to what the female lead character's role actually is, other then to inject romance novel junk into a murder mystery.
Overall, the characters are not well created, not believable, the writing is choppy, lot's of head scratching scenes and dialogue, too much bogus filler, and way too much religion for my taste.
I have been told her more recent books are better, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt and read one or two, but I couldn't recommend anyone read this book.

Sandy If you don't like reading about , nor are interested in a religion other than your own, I would suggest not reading any books by Faye Kellerman, who in my opinion is a much better and more interesting writer than her husband, Jonathon . All of her Decker books are chocked full of Hebrew and Jewish religious example. I for one enjoy reading and learning about a religion I know nothing about and the Lazarus character is an ultra religious woman. The only problem I have is I did not read these books in the order that they were written and I'm just now running across some repeating characters, that I did not realize were in a book I had read previously, so now I want to re read these books to get a better understanding of the character. I love the way Kellerman has taken these characters in this family and other characters in her books from young kids, men, women, and police officers into each stage of their lives. It is very believable and real life, as this is how life a really lived. We do all grow up , get careers and also have problems in our lives. Great series of books and would re read every single one. I started , quite by accident with Jupiter's Bones, which was about a religious cult. Interesting books everytime !!!
And every series writer uses descriptive language to let you know what each person is wearing in full detail. If this is not done by an author then they are not writing completely enough. Why would you ever complain about something such as this ?

message 3: by Sherri (last edited May 14, 2015 10:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sherri F. I have read 5 or 6 in this series so far and I love Faye Kellerman's writing. I like duo books--and you get 2 duos really...Decker & Rina (Lazarus) and also Decker with his partner Marge. I have pretty much liked all the crime/mysteries, BUT love the personal relationship and development over the series. I'm not Jewish and not overly religious in general anymore (but my family still is; I go with more spiritual over religious) but had a couple old bosses who were Jewish and one close friend (all of varying degrees of religiousness), but knew VERY little of the Orthodox culture. So, I have liked that extra learning about the culture and how he converted (along with his history) and how she relaxes over time. I noticed a couple of errors in the books too (early in the series), but since I overall enjoy so much of the Series, I tend to overlook it. I sooo look forward to growing with this couple, family & co-workers.

Dawn Whidden Sherri wrote: "I have read 5 or 6 in this series so far and I love Faye Kellerman's writing. I like duo books--and you get 2 duos really...Decker & Rina (Lazarus) and also Decker with his partner Marge. I have ..."

I whole heartedly agree with you Sherri. Love her writing.I guess it's different strokes for different folks!

Anna Sinclair Love this book. In fact love the entire series. Every now and them, I stack up all books in the series, and start from the beginning. Great for a cold month of curling up with a good read and a glass of wine.