All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > March 2014 Fiction Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2014 04:41AM) (new)

Hi everyone :-)

It's that time again - to nominate and vote for our March Fiction Group Read.

The 'rules' are:

- One nomination per person
- First six 'seconded' nominations will be put in a poll where members can vote on their choice.
- The book should be fiction but should not be a 'classic' novel, as we have a separate bi-monthly classics read.
- The book nominated should be available in paperback form.

Please post your nominations on this thread, which will remain open until 10th February or until six seconded nominations are made. The poll will be open from 11th February until 16th February and the winner will be announced on the 17th February.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask on this thread :-)

message 2: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments My nomination would be: The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Probably most of you have read this already, but I would like to nominate The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 868 comments I'd like to nominate The Shadow of the Wind

message 5: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'd like to nominate Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke but I've a feeling it's such a biggie it might need 2 months...

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments All of these look good and some are on my tbr shelf but 1 I already own :)

message 7: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 458 comments Id like to nominate The Book Thief.

message 8: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13495 comments Mod
I want to second Leslie's proposal: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second The Book Thief

message 10: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments A Heart So White by Javier Marìas :)

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Tracey wrote: "All of these look good and some are on my tbr shelf but 1 I already own :)"

Do you want to second any of them?

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Leslie I will second The Shadow of the Wind simply because I have it already.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 508 comments I haven't read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and it sounds interesting so I will third that nomination.

message 14: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is an excellent novel. What a shame I've read it already :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

So far the following have been seconded:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Book Thief
The Shadow of the Wind

Excellent choices!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to nominate The Silent Wife :)

message 17: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Anastasia wrote: "A Heart So White by Javier Marìas :)"

I'd like to read something by Marias, but I'm afraid I'm not very taken with the reviews of this one.

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'd like to nominate The Golem and the Jinnias it is on my tbr list and I haven't read it yet.

message 19: by Bonita (new)

Bonita I'll second The Golem and the Jinni. Sounds like a good book.

message 20: by Jenny (last edited Feb 04, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Gill wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "A Heart So White by Javier Marìas :)"

I'd like to read something by Marias, but I'm afraid I'm not very taken with the reviews of this one."

@Gill, I think you'd really like this one, it's the perfect addition to all the translation-related conversations we've been having, you just have to be OK with very very long sentences ;)(beautifully crafted ones though)

message 21: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Ok, then, I'll second A Heart So White!

message 22: by Marian (new)

Marian (Marian-xox) | 74 comments Excited to join you all for this read along! I'll second the book thief

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I'll second: 'The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea'. Never heard of it before but it sounds really interesting.

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink I think that makes six seconded nominations already, looks like we have some great choices for March!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow that was fast!

The 6 books going to poll are:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Book Thief
The Shadow of the Wind
The Golem and the Jinni
A Heart So White
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

Thanks everyone :)

p.s. would you like the poll to be opened earlier now that we have 6 seconded nomination or would you rather wait until the 11th?

message 26: by LauraT (new)

Open it now Becca!!!

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) yeah if you open it now, we can all vote.

message 28: by LauraT (new)

;-)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay dokay, ill get that open in a min :)

message 30: by LauraT (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:56AM) (new)

Thanks Becca! But keep it open longer: maybe it will be seen also by those who have missed this discussion

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll probably keep it open until the 16th or later :) I'll send out a mail once i've put it up.

message 32: by LauraT (new)

Perfect thanks!

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) voted! :)

message 34: by LauraT (new)

Me too!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

It's amazing how quickly we got those nominations, particularly as we seemed to struggle in February

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I voted! Would probably join in with most of them except The Shadow of the Wind which I've already read

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments Voted and looking forward to joining in for whatever the choice :)

message 38: by Marian (new)

Marian (Marian-xox) | 74 comments Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but where do you vote?

message 39: by Marian (new)

Marian (Marian-xox) | 74 comments Just seen the email now, thanks Becca.

message 40: by LauraT (new)

Heather wrote: "I voted! Would probably join in with most of them except The Shadow of the Wind which I've already read"

Think so too

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Marian wrote: "Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but where do you vote?"

Just so you (and everyone else) know for the future, you can always access polls on the website by clicking on the little green link on the right that says "Polls", just above the search box.

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber Manning | 15 comments I want the book theift too

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.