Harry Potter discussion

JK Rowling > JK Rowling's latest reveal shows regrets over pairing Ron and Hermione together...

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments I'm just wondering what people's general feelings are over the latest reveal of JK's saying she wished she had paired H/HR together instead of R/HR?

http://www.people.com/people/article/...

I personally, am quite upset (maybe that's too strong a word but hear me out!) I for one am a Ron/Hermione shipper, in the books it was always clear how they were perfect for each other. It was only ever really in the films that they hinted at some Harry/Hermione nasty time. (I still think that the writers on the HP films did a bit of a disservice to Rupert Grint and the character of Ron Weasley by shirking him to the sidelines but whatever.)

I'm just not sure how this information is really relevant now? We got the happy ending, the series is finished, what possible good could come of this? Supporters of R/HR are going to be upset because it implies that the author didn't have much faith in their relationship. Supporters of H/HR are going to be upset because it never actually happened and hence this is a bit of a tease.

I just don't get what relevance this has now.

I know it's just a book but Ron and Hermione's relationship always seemed so natural, far more natural than Harry's and Ginny's. It was one of my personal highlights of the series and this kind of....devalues it?

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts. Was JK right to reveal this? Does this revelation add more depth to the behind-the scenes world of Harry Potter? Or does it confuse the canon?

message 2: by Eli (new)

Eli Carballo | 12 comments I still don't understand why reveal this now after what 2yrs? The books are done and films just why? I was bothered by it when I read the interview she had with Emma Watson. Some say, she revealed this secret just because Emma was inducting the interview and she probably wanted her character with Harry. This bothers me so much just like when Daniel Radcliffe admitted to being drunk/hangover in some scenes, just why? Just keep all that to yourself. I personally ship Ron/hermione because it just makes sense and opposites attract. I like that the main guy didn't get the girl and the best friend did, I feel if Harry and hermione ended up together it was just to unreal too perfect in my opinion. You're not the only one bothered by this I am as well and I still LOVE JK Rowling, just wish she had kept it to herself.

message 3: by Eli (new)

Eli Carballo | 12 comments Conducting***

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments I think I'm more or less of the same opinion, and I do feel that there was chemistry between Watson and Radcliffe ON-SCREEN (but Watson also had chemistry with Grint) but there was never any indication of Harry and Hermione ending up together in the books...

Oh, did Watson wanted her character with Harry then?

message 5: by Eli (new)

Eli Carballo | 12 comments When I read the article I read the comments as well and a lot of the fans were stating that about Emma. I

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments Parinita wrote: "Eli wrote: "I still don't understand why reveal this now after what 2yrs? The books are done and films just why? I was bothered by it when I read the interview she had with Emma Watson. Some say, s..."

Completely agree with you about the movies, it seemed after the third film they stopped giving Ron as much screen time (which is a shame coz I personally think Rupert is a fantastic actor) and focused more on Harry and Hermione. In the books however it was clear that Ron and Hermione had feelings for each other! To say this now after both the books and the films are completed just seems completely mad...

message 7: by Eli (new)

Eli Carballo | 12 comments I agree too! In a crazy way I feel that it isn't fair to Rupert either. I know the books were writing first. But, It's like almost degrading him in a way because he played this character for so long and its already bad enough that's he's the "best friend" the "under dog" and I feel that his character is so much more than that to me and I know a lot of people agree He work so hard to bring Ron alive and idk just my weird opinion.

message 8: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (Ilovebooks143) I don't get this..... I don't believe this actually what she said... At least I hope it's not. ROMIONE FOREVER NOMATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments Yeah I'm still hoping it's going to turn out to be not true...although I think it probably is. I hope this doesn't change how I read the books next time I pick them up. The Ron/Hermione jealousy and riffs is one of my favourite aspects of the books, it just adds some realism to the story.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments That's true, she did say she only recently started questioning whether she would have put Harry and Hermione together. But then who would Ron and Ginny have ended up with?

I just love all the subtle hints with Ron and Hermione that were scattered throughout the books. Ron's jealousy over Krum, Hermione's indignation of being picked as a last resort, the canaries flying at Ron's head, Ron's jealousy over Harry...it's what makes them so identifiable because their relationship is so real! Also Ginny and Harry were foreshadowed from Book One.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! But they probably would need A LOT of counseling.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments But I don't get why they would need counselling..lots of couples bicker, it's what stops things from getting boring :/

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments Parnita wrote: I know why would they need counseling? They seem to ..."

^^^ This!!

My point exactly!

message 14: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thevelvetreticule) | 3 comments Annamarie wrote: "I don't get this..... I don't believe this actually what she said... At least I hope it's not. ROMIONE FOREVER NOMATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!"

AGREED!!!!! FOREVER!!!!! :)

message 15: by Kelsey (last edited Feb 05, 2014 07:53PM) (new)

Kelsey (thevelvetreticule) | 3 comments I'm just absolutely heartbroken over this news. I wish I could unread the article a thousand times. It's so aggravating to me that J.K. Rowling said in the article, "Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not." Um, yeah! You BROKE MINE! They balance each other perfectly, Ron and Hermione. (In my humble opinion.) As a sometimes "second best" person (with many obstacles and challenges that have occurred throughout my life), their love story gave me hope! I don't know why she feels the need to throw in afterthoughts, especially almost 7 years after she wrote the final book.

I have tried to forget about this update but I can't. I hate to say it but Harry Potter is somewhat tainted for me at this point. It will go away eventually, but it may take me awhile to get over this. (I'm such a drama queen but Harry Potter means SO MUCH TO ME, like I know it means so much to many of you. It absolutely completes me and I dreamt about a world like this even before it was established. I cannot imagine my life without this story. Some people probably won't understand my devastation over this, but let me tell you, I could cry over it). The only thing that provides me relief is knowing there are people like me. I feel that page 378 in Deathly Hallows describes not only my feelings (about Harry and Hermione's relationship) perfectly, but Harry's also: "She's like my sister," he went on. "I love her like a sister and I reckon she feels the same way about me. It's always been like that. I thought you knew."

I still feel if J.K. Rowling wanted Harry and Hermione to be together, she would have written the books that way from the start. The books have been long written and are set in stone. I will always believe the right characters ended up together, no matter what afterthoughts spring up!
I will be a "Romione" fan "until the very end."

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments I agree one hundred per cent. Everything about them being together makes sense, it was shown gradually across the course of seven books... To say it was a mistake seems like she's undervaluing her own work.

I too am forever Romione!

message 17: by Molly (new)

Molly (DawnPotter888) I feel like I am one of the few people that is happy with the news. I'm just happy that what I saw Harry and Hermione together that I wasn't delusional, and even JKR thinks so too. Though I am confused why she is saying this now. I do feel bad for those who rooted so much for Ron and Hermione because I used to be one of them, but whichever.

message 18: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 49 comments I'll just pretend that she didn't say that.

I'm definitely also thinking that Ron and Hermione was the right choise for this story. To me Harry Potter would be a whole other story if it had ended with Harry and Hermione. Where would Ron be in this ordeal? I think he'd just be on level with Seamus (character wise) or something if it had come to that.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments To be honest I didn't see any connection between Harry and Hermione other than a platonic/sibling one. Not in the books anyway (in the movies it was implied), they were always just friends, the chemistry between Ron and Hermione was always clear...

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna Lembke | 15 comments I feel that Harry and Hermione would not have worked out well. But I was never fully in support of Romionie. I am just confused right now as to what I think about this announcement. I feel like the entire story is altered now, because when I picked up my Harry Potter book today and read a passage, all I could think about was how the golden trio is a pesky love triangle now. I am just trying to remember that even though J.K changed the ending.

message 21: by Constance (new)

Constance (lamblyn) | 2 comments She never said that Hermionie would be better off with Harry all the quotes from the article just state that Rowling doesn't think she and Ron were a good match...for all we know maybe she thinks Hermione would've been happier with Nkrumah's. ;)

message 22: by Constance (new)

Constance (lamblyn) | 2 comments *Krum

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments That makes me feel a little better not gonna lie XD

message 24: by Holly (new)

Holly (macolly) | 2 comments It's ridiculous. There is no evidence of this anywhere in the text. I sometimes feel she's just looking to be in the spotlight. I love these books, but these revelations of hers are baffling. And there is no sign of it in the text.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments Yeah a lot of people said that :/ it's like the dumbledore revelation except that added depth to the story, whereas I feel this takes away...

message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Mcbride | 18 comments Eli wrote: "I still don't understand why reveal this now after what 2yrs? The books are done and films just why? I was bothered by it when I read the interview she had with Emma Watson. Some say, she revealed ..."a

Actually it's been 7 years since the DH book...

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments I think she meant since everything concluded, books, films...etc. Although it's now 3 years since it turned 2014!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments I heard that there was going to be a film based on "Fantastic Beasts..." and she's writing the script.

I kind of hope she doesn't do any spin-off books, I don't want them to tarnish the original series! Saying that if she did a one off book around the Marauders not even tornadoes could keep me away from buying it.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments All I'm asking for is one book! Doesn't even have to be 300 pages long! Y'know what I'm saying? XD

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb (bubasbookshelf) I belie e that mrs. Rowling just misses her name in newspapers. After all, she was always the one to say that she knew since the first book that Harry will be with Ginny. Not sure about Ron and Hermione, since I heard that she planned killing him through half of the series(not sure if that's true, though), but again it was always HER to say that Harry sees Hermione like a sister.
So yea...
but that's just my opinion

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Dalson (michelledalson) | 6 comments I think Harry and Hermione would have made the more ideal couple. But that's why it would be expected that they should end up together. Pairing Hermione with Ron therefore made a more interesting ending. We would all expect that the main character, Harry, would marry his closest female friend, Hermione, the heroine. But I think JK Rowling did the right thing twisting up our expectations by pairing Ron and Hermione, and Harry and Ginny.
If she wanted to twist up the ending even more, she should have married Harry, Ron, and Hermione to separate characters and have none of them paired with each other (Harry x Ginny, Ron x Luna(?), Hermione x Draco/Neville(?)) But of course that would make an awkward ending lol. I'm pretty fine with the way she paired everyone by the end

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments See I loved Ron and Hermione from the get go, JK foreshadowed it from book one onwards. The characters just compliment each other really well. I never understood the Harry/Hermione shipping until the seventh film and that dance scene but I still prefer Ron and Hermione.

I was cool with the fact Harry ended up with Ginny, I mean that was foreshadowed too...but I wouldn't have minded if he ended up with Luna, I quite liked that match :)

message 33: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (Ilovebooks143) Yeah I agree with Luna!!! Like I idk if Jo wanted attention or what but I feel like the pairings were foreshadowed so she doesn't really have a reason to go back now... And I always felt like Harry thought of Herminone like a sister, not a romantic interest.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  Matthews (rachelwrites93) | 64 comments I don't think it was so much because she wanted attention...I feel that maybe she always intended for those couples to be together but halfway through the series became disenchanted with it? Except she had already committed to it by building fans expectations through said foreshadowing.

I hope it's neither to be honest.

I still love Hermione and Ron together and regardless of what JK says after the events she wrote them that way so it's canon :)

message 35: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stargaryen | 120 comments Already in 2007 JK Rowling stated that she herself married Harry Potter (at the same event when she revealed Dumbledore as gay: http://www.mtv.com/news/1572399/harry... ). And since Hermione is based on JKR herself, it would only be a matter of time before she'd state that Harry and Hermione would be a better couple. Which they are. I mean, hello, a man must be very shallow to choose a fangirl over someone who is there for him unconditionally just because the fangirl has suddenly become extremely hot.