Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > kindle and Australia

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3116 comments I have a kindle, our daughter has a kindle, and many of our friends have kindles or other eReaders, if that helps! And we all live in Australia.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 1732 comments Shaun, ereading has been slower to catch on in Australia than other parts of the world, but it's certainly not unknown here. Your friends and family know all about Kindle now. :)

Surprised they didn't know of Amazon.com, though, especially if they're booklovers.

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68753 comments Mod
I'm surprised by your statement Shaun. Though I guess it's "preaching to the converted" in Goodreads as any person who reads a lot would most likely know all about eReaders, kindles and the ability to read on your iPad, phone etc. But I guess, ask a non-reader and they would probably not know what you were talking about.

Plus not knowing about Amazon is also a shock - Amazon US, UK and now AU....they're a massive company.

message 4: by Gaynor (new)

Gaynor (seasian) | 6 comments Qantas stewards dont seem to know what a kindle is either. I answered that my kindle was turned off (when asked if it was on-line) but then was told to put it away and stop reading it while on a domestic flight. I felt like a naughty school girl, reading when I shouldn't have been. Since all it requires is a battery to light up the screen it wasn't a danger to navigational equipment, even if we had been landing. I took out my novel and wondered at the difference and the ignorance!!

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Kindle was slow to make it mark in Oz because of the few retailers stocking there devices. For a while you could only buy them other than from Amazon's os site was Big W and Dick Smiths. Now they have there own oz site wich should make there product more well known.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 20 comments I remember when I got my kindle as a present a few years ago I was telling someone about it and they didn't know what a kindle was....I would say most would though!
I would be shocked if anyone I know didn't know about Amazon though...having said that I have never bought anything from Amazon apart from ebooks!

message 7: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11113 comments Mod
Gaynor wrote: "Qantas stewards dont seem to know what a kindle is either. I answered that my kindle was turned off (when asked if it was on-line) but then was told to put it away and stop reading it while on a do..."

Airlines can't make their minds up about Kindles. I have been allowed to keep reading mine on take off and landing flying internationally. And then other times they tell you to turn it off.

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Gaynor wrote: "Qantas stewards dont seem to know what a kindle is either. I answered that my kindle was turned off (when asked if it was on-line) but then was told to put it away and stop reading it while on a do..."

Wow really? I'm surprised about that too!

message 9: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Thornton (buttonbrite) | 1 comments I've read my Kindle copiously on Qantas flights without any problems. The only time on flights, domestic or international, they ask me to turn off ALL my devices is takeoff and landing. If you're flying on an Airbus, they will sometimes allow you to keep devices on. As for people here knowing about Kindle, I think some people just generally keep up with technology and some don't. However, I'd say the biggest problem with Kindle (or any reader) in Australia is the availability of books. So many books are not licensed for publication here and thus can't be sold to an Australian customer in Australia. However, we can order the hardback or paperback version and have it shipped here. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is so. I'm a dual US/Aus citizen, so to get around this I have a US address (my mothers) and a US bank account and credit card I use for Amazon purchases. So long as I have that, I can purchase anywhere in the world I happen to be, but with an Australian address, with Kindle or Apple, my choices are seriously limited. With Nook, they are non existent, since Nooks aren't sold in Oz.

message 10: by Steve (last edited Feb 05, 2014 02:35PM) (new)

Steve | 901 comments Robbie wrote: "I've read my Kindle copiously on Qantas flights without any problems."

I've flown a lot for work, both domestic and international, and I get two reactions from flight crew with respect to my Kindle -- it's either "Ooooh, what is that? Can I have a look?" and then they pass it back and move on, or more usually, "That's an electronic device, turn it off!"

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Robbie wrote: "However, we can order the hardback or paperback version and have it shipped here. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is so...."

This is what I don't understand either - when I can't get a kindle book, it's for "copyright" reasons, but there you have your response....so how does it make sense at all!

message 12: by Michael (last edited Feb 05, 2014 04:37PM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments I would suspect that will improve over time Brenda with Amazon having it own oz site now and retailers. In terms of not being able to get certain books i think it is unfortuently due to were we are as the US and the UK will always get there dips at the latest Kindle books first unless it's an Aussie book then we get first dips. This is no different to what the likes of Hulu and Netflix do to stop non American users from watching there shows. Unless you have an US address like Robbie said then you have to revert to other means to get access non Aussie would have to do the same to access say IView.

In terms of getting books shipped here, it would still depend on the Aussie release date. You will not get a book sen't to you if it released in the States say a few months before here. You will have it available to be sent at a similar time as to our release date here. That would be due to international agreement with publishers and retailers.

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Yes it will have to improve eventually Michael, but being able to get the same book in paper from Amazon against kindle is odd!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) My parents are both in their 70s and aren't into modern technology at all - no computer etc.
They both love to read through so for Christmas 2012 I bought them both Kindles...I was surprised that they both immediately knew what they were.