Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

What do you think of Jo's latest revelation?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

sim I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. J.K. Rowling recently said that she regrets putting Ron and Hermione together. She said she would've liked Harry and Hermione. Well...what do you think about this? I mean fans making up ships is a different thing but the author declaring that she ships a certain pairing is very different. I'm not, in any way, saying I ship Romione. I think they're wrong for each other...same goes for Hinny. I'm not saying I like Harry and Hermione either...I used to but not any more. I'm just very confused about all this. What are we supposed to feel about Rowling's revelation? It's not like she can do anything about it...I'm just very, very confused :/

Tracy Reilly Always sparks in both. Like real life--messy. Shows well-drawn characters

Anna :) Tracy.

I've never understood the explanations for Harry and Hermione to be together. They are too much like brother and sister. The movies are what made their platonic friendship look like unrequited or repressed romantic love. But that isn't how the books portrayed it.

As for J.K. saying what she did. . . I don't understand that either.

Benja I think JK should stop treating her work like a Facebook status page.

message 5: by sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

sim Benja wrote: "I think JK should stop treating her work like a Facebook status page."

Exactly! I mean I respect her like you wouldn't believe but taking her fans and their feelings for granted is going a bit far, don't you think? :/

Hana Iqbal Eliza wrote: ":) Tracy.

I've never understood the explanations for Harry and Hermione to be together. They are too much like brother and sister. The movies are what made their platonic friendship look like unr..."

even i feel the same thing.i realy cant imagine them to be couples.i dont understnd what made Jo think like that now.
HERMIONE N HARRY cud never get married.nor ron and hermione will end up in marriage counselling....

Michael When I found out, when the last book was released, that Hermione and Ron ended up together I was extremely upset. I always wanted Harry and Hermione. But I don't see what JK can do about it now, when all the books have been published. I think that with all the deadlines her publisher gave her that she wrote the books way to quickly and now she has a lot of regrets. But she pulled it off and wrote 7 amazing books, which shows her talent.

A side note: Please can everyone stop whining?! She is the author and she can say whatever she wants about her books.

Nonethousand Oberrhein Michael wrote: "A side note: Please can everyone stop whining?! She is the author and she can say whatever she wants about her books."
Yes ...but then again, no.
An author delivers the book. Only the reader owns the book.

For Rowling's recent "revelation" I couldn't care less: she is an author I do not respect.

Sharanja I understand why JK Rowling said what she did, and I kind of agree. Ron and Hermione do seem like a bit of a mismatched couple. But then when I look at it from a different angle, it's kind of nice seeing the female lead go for the sidekick, instead of the hero.

Sammy Young I don't see how Harry and Hermione are in any way compatible though their personalities are too similar, the reason why Ron and Hermione work so well together as a couple is because they balance each other out by being exact opposites of each other. They are the yin and yang of each other, kindred spirits, soul mates. Her and Harry are simply too much alike each other, yeah maybe they could have a good relationship when they were younger MAYBE but they definitely don't have the right balance for a marriage.

message 11: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S I loved that the 2nd male lead "got the girl" in her book. She got it right the first time by challenging the status quo, and still making it all work out. Personally, I wanted Neville to get with Luna, and in my mind they still do... I'm glad they implied such in the film. Of course, I was always Team Neville and wanted him to kill Voldemort, but that would've ruined the whole series for everyone but me.J.K. has the right to say whatever she wants about her books, but it doesn't mean I care.

message 12: by Michael (last edited Feb 03, 2014 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Sarah wrote: "I loved that the 2nd male lead "got the girl" in her book. She got it right the first time by challenging the status quo, and still making it all work out. Personally, I wanted Neville to get with ..."

I agree that she has the right to say whatever she feels, its her story. I also agree completely about Luna and Neville, always shipped them since half blood prince.

Michael Nonethousand wrote: "Michael wrote: "A side note: Please can everyone stop whining?! She is the author and she can say whatever she wants about her books."
Yes ...but then again, no.
An author delivers the book. Only t..."

If this was true Fanfiction would be the real story, since if a person buys a book they own the rights and everything.

Benja Michael wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I loved that the 2nd male lead "got the girl" in her book. She got it right the first time by challenging the status quo, and still making it all work out. Personally, I wanted Nevill..."

So you were shipping Luna before she was even introduced? Whadda ya know...

Michael Benja wrote: "Michael wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I loved that the 2nd male lead "got the girl" in her book. She got it right the first time by challenging the status quo, and still making it all work out. Personally,..."

Oh god, I completely misinterpreted what he said. I meant I was shipping Ginny and Neville in the goblet of fire, but then I went to shipping him with Luna during half blood prince. My mind just kind of got the 2 situations confused.

Sharanja I kind of find it weird that they all ended up marrying people they went to school with. Did they all just stop meeting new people after turning 18?

Dieuwke Sharanja wrote: "I kind of find it weird that they all ended up marrying people they went to school with. Did they all just stop meeting new people after turning 18?"

my thoughts exactly!
Personally I believed Harry and Ginny. Their characters seem to match, but when it comes to Hermione and Ron -downdating doesn't know many success-stories and surely Hermione would go mental with a guy who did't mind being less smart and not ambitious.

Elizabeth Personally I didn't feel any tension between any of them. I felt like they were all just meant to be good friends always

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure how I feel about JKR's statement. To be honest I wish she hadn't said that at all. She's my hero, but she sort of made me feel uncomfortable about Harry and Hermione being together. Ron and Hermione might not be the best match ever, but Harry and Hermione is just a very big NO. At least this is how I see it. They were meant to be and remain best friends, but they wouldn't not work as a married couple.
Also there was never a sign from the first book to the last that would imply such a relationship between them.
While Ron and Hermione did a have a different thing, and it was more predictable that they would end up together eventually and more convenient for the storyline too.

Leah Carabajal Michael wrote: "When I found out, when the last book was released, that Hermione and Ron ended up together I was extremely upset. I always wanted Harry and Hermione. But I don't see what JK can do about it now, wh..."

You didn't figure out that Ron & Hermione would end up together until the end of the 7th book?! It was blatantly obvious from the very beginning! Wow.

I think that JKR's "people" want her to spout out crazy things just to keep the public interested in Harry Potter. NOT that I think Harry Potter interest is going to die down anytime soon. I mean, we've got a theme park devoted to Harry's world, so yeah, we're not going to lose interest.

What she should say is "IF YOU MISS HARRY, GO RE-READ THE BOOKS!"

We've got Pottermore to entertain us with interesting unknown facts/history about characters, etc. JKR does NOT need to be spouting out "Dumbledore is gay." & "I regret pairing up Ron & Hermione." These statements DO NOT change the characters in anyway. Ron & Hermione will ALWAYS be perfect for each other, BECAUSE JKR wrote it & it's published, & it's done. She CANNOT change who the characters are. She created them, but it's too late to change them.

I personally think it's a publicity stunt. Whether or not she wants to do these stunts, I don't know, but she does them. In another year we'll hear something else revolutionary concerning a certain character.

Let's just enjoy re-reading the books (& watching the movies, if you must) & quit pretending that we'd want the books to end any other way.

message 21: by Michael (last edited Feb 06, 2014 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Leah wrote: "Michael wrote: "When I found out, when the last book was released, that Hermione and Ron ended up together I was extremely upset. I always wanted Harry and Hermione. But I don't see what JK can do ..."

Ron hated her in the sorcerers stone, so if that's a sign of love then yeah I missed it.

Heather Ehh, I don't have any feelings over what she said either way. The books are already written, so she can't go back and change anything. I'll just take it as her personal ship and not think of it again.

Marie Liese Leah wrote: "Michael wrote: "When I found out, when the last book was released, that Hermione and Ron ended up together I was extremely upset. I always wanted Harry and Hermione. But I don't see what JK can do ..."

YOU ARE READING MY MIND

Michael Heather wrote: "Ehh, I don't have any feelings over what she said either way. The books are already written, so she can't go back and change anything. I'll just take it as her personal ship and not think of it again."

Yep

Michael Marie wrote: "Leah wrote: "Michael wrote: "When I found out, when the last book was released, that Hermione and Ron ended up together I was extremely upset. I always wanted Harry and Hermione. But I don't see wh..."

I'm glad someone else agrees.

message 26: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan To me, you let the book be. Once it's written, it's written.

Nyssa Alan wrote: "To me, you let the book be. Once it's written, it's written."

^This

Benja wrote: "I think JK should stop treating her work like a Facebook status page."

and ^This

Nicole Benja wrote: "I think JK should stop treating her work like a Facebook status page."

That made me laugh out loud, seriously.

message 29: by AgCl (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl my first reaction was "yes, yes i agree", but then came the late realization of no Harry doesn't deserve Hermione at all, he's been pretty uselss to her and he was really nasty towards the end of book 5. I'd have preferred if Jo said she'd have liked Hermione and Neville together. XD

I don't think Jo wants to toy with the fans' feelings though. She was just expressing her thoughts after she had distanced herself from the writing. It wasn't like oh lets change everything and make this new idea a cannon.

Saxonjus I think JK misses the thrill of HP writing.For me Hermoine & Ron yes a good couple not so convinced Ginny & Harry.I had wondered if Luna be a love interest for Harry? I feel JK could write a perfect prequel building up Lily,James,Sirius,Lupin,Severus' story over their time in Hogwarts & beyond.Id love to read that.

Nonethousand Oberrhein I think most of the shippers do not realize that there's a LOT of life after high school and the chances ending up marrying a school buddy are very small... <_<"

Randee Baty I agree with those that think this is just a publicity stunt. Let the books stand as they are and readers will discuss them forever without the author interfering. It seems as if she feels the need to just keep putting herself in the spotlight. Of course,YMMV.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that the book is fine. if she would have wanted to do that harry/hermione thing, she would have done it,right?

Tracy Reilly Harry/Hermoine would mess up Ron and Harry's loyalty to each other. That's it.

Lindsay Sharanja wrote: "I understand why JK Rowling said what she did, and I kind of agree. Ron and Hermione do seem like a bit of a mismatched couple. But then when I look at it from a different angle, it's kind of nice..."

I totally agree!

India I don't understand why she had to tell us. I feel like something like 99.89% of the fandom was happy with the pairing, and she just had to go and ruin it for us.

message 37: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I always thought Harry and Hermione should end up together. I hate the Harry/Ginny thing. I just never saw them as a couple. Ginny's character isn't developed enough for me or something. Maybe it's that you never really got to know Her, I don't know. Yeah their marriage makes it so Harry is officially related to the Weasleys but no. I was ok with Ron and Hermione getting together though. They kind of challenge each other to do better.

message 38: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom I think she just wished she wrote it differently. I don't find that to be surprising, really. Lots of authors probably have regrets about how their finished product ended up. She owns the intellectual property of her series, so she can say whatever she wants about it. It's not my life or choice. It's hers. So whatever.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Somerandom wrote: "I think she just wished she wrote it differently. I don't find that to be surprising, really. Lots of authors probably have regrets about how their finished product ended up. She owns the intellect..."

Somerandom has a good point....

message 40: by Sammy (last edited Feb 09, 2014 02:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sammy Young Adam wrote: "I never thought much about the ships. I was more concerned about Voldemort and Harry almost dying at least once a year, sometimes more and all the different Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers, ..."

They're teenagers...they are hormone crazy of course they're going to be worrying about intimate relationships, that's part of J.K's amazing writing she's showing her audience that these people, these heroic characters are all just children. They should be worrying about who likes who and how late their homework is and instead they are having to worry about staying alive and surviving a war. She's trying to show that war affects us all not just the people fighting, she's showing the innocence that can be stolen away by war, and she's asking why? Why do we go to war? Why do we inflict this upon the minds of children? Why are we ruining the sweet innocence of the world? Why are we forcing children to think like soldiers? At least that's what I took from it.
And Read at least half of John Greens tweets almost all of them are about his books...

Lioness660 First of all I don't really think Harry and Hermione would have worked. They both have short tempers and it would've ended in major shouting matches. Hermione has a strong opinion and isn't one to give up, and neither is Harry, so that wouldn't have really worked. I like Romione, because it's nice that she wasn't paired up with the main character like in most books, and I sort of feel like Ron always got the short end of the stick and finally he could be happy. But really, why did she have to marry anyone at all? Hermione was a strong character with strong opinions and she would've done fine by herself.