The Lover's Dictionary
This topic is about The Lover's Dictionary
Book Discussions > The Lover's Dictionary

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lesashoe) | 263 comments Mod
Has anyone read Levithan before?

So I started this tonight and I am really loving it so far.
It is quite poetic and little snapshots of the protagonists life and love. Basically what the book is Levithan going through the alphabet and having these words trigger a short story. The main characters aren't named (so far, I am about a third in), but it is a quick read as it is just over 200 pages and some stories only take up half a page or even a quarter. On the copy I borrowed from my local library, it has the review 'This book made me want to fall in love again' and I think that is quite accurate so far.

Has anyone read it or thinking about reading it?

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) I will read it soon!

Marisa (daemonsskitten) | 23 comments I just finished this. I honestly going in did not know what to think about this book. It was very interesting and different. Even though it was short I feel like I saw their relationship and understood it. It was kind of like a movie playing that went through flashbacks.

Marisa wrote: "I just finished this. I honestly going in did not know what to think about this book. It was very interesting and different. Even though it was short I feel like I saw their relationship and unders..."

I think that is quite an accurate description. I can see you only rated it three stars, what didn't you like about it?

Marisa (daemonsskitten) | 23 comments lisa wrote: "Marisa wrote: "I just finished this. I honestly going in did not know what to think about this book. It was very interesting and different. Even though it was short I feel like I saw their relation..."

Whoops I meant to do four. It was late lol and I should not be aloud to rate when it is late. Thanks for letting me know.

Priscilla wrote: "I will read it soon!"

Have you got a chance to read it yet Priscilla?

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) Not yet Lisa, I just finished The Opportunist and I am so torn by the book... Unable to start anything else. I need some time to collect my thoughts about this one. Just bought the second one of this saga but has not started it yet.

I just thought I would add my review here if anyone wanted to look at it.
'Urgently beautiful and quietly affecting'

This book is a quick read and the concept is subtle yet impacting.
Levithan goes through the alphabet, and each letter has a variety of words that trigger a snapshot into the protagonist's life.
The protagonist and his 'love' are unnamed and only through these snapshots do we learn about them.

I loved this book as I find myself enjoying books about peoples life story. This allows the read to delve into this relationship and get a real feel of the two characters love for each other.

It is something different to what I have read but definitely subtly beautiful writing and engaging.