Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Character Workshop > Profile

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§», Headmaster (last edited Feb 02, 2014 11:34PM) (new)

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» | 600 comments The Profile

How this works:
Create a new topic in this folder (Character Workshop) with your character. Use their name as the topic title. It will be subject to critiques in its own topic. When I am satisfied with your character, I will ask you to post them in the CHARACTERS topic, at which point your critique topic will be deleted.

About the character profile:
Use the character profile provided below. If you are confused, I would encourage you to use the characters in the (not yet available) topic as examples.

To achieve the correct formatting, delete the periods before the letter in between the '<' and '>'.

Anything NOT in parenthesis needs to be replaced by your text. The words in parenthesis are just extra details/directions/information meant for you.

A maximum of two pictures per profile. One picture per "Appearance" section.

Replace X's with numbers. Not spelled out, not written as "1st" or "2nd" or anything like that. Those would both be "1" and "2" respectively.

As far as wands are concerned, this is the information needed. Use no other sources.

As far as spelling is concerned...

NO SPOILERS.

Don't make the profile too long. No one will read it, including me, which defeats the purpose of even making it. (Hint: If you have to split it into more than one post, it is too long.)

I am picky about capitalization. If a word is capitalized below, capitalize it in your profile. If you don't, we'll correct you.

Use the little "»" symbols, but don't italicize them.

message 2: by s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§», Headmaster (last edited Mar 13, 2014 09:54PM) (new)

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» | 600 comments NAME (Delete this word. Replace it with the name the character goes by, (ex. ANA or ANABELLE (choose one, don't list both) if you have an Anabelle) typed out in all caps. Then insert two blank lines, so <.b>Name<./b> starts on the fourth line down.)

<.b>Name<./b>: First Middle(?) Last
<.b>Gender<./b>: Female OR Male
<.b>Blood<./b>: Half-Blood OR Muggle-Born OR Pure-Blood
<.b>Age<./b>: X (students—11; professors/staff—be realistic, no younger than 40)
» <.i>Birthday<./i>: Month X (ex. December 3)
<.b>Position<./b>: Insert-Subject-Here Professor OR Staff-Position (professors/staff only; ex. Charms Professor; ex. Caretaker)
<.b>House<./b>: Gryffindor OR Hufflepuff OR Ravenclaw OR Slytherin OR N/A (N/A—professors only, if they did not attend Hogwarts)
» <.i>Year<./i>: 1 (students only)
» <.i>Quidditch<./i>: N/A (students only)
» <.i>Position<./i>: Student (students only)
<.b>Wand<./b>:
» <.i>Wood<./i>: Wand Wood
» <.i>Core<./i>: Wand Core
» <.i>Length<./i>: X Inches (ex. 12 Inches)
» <.i>Flexibility<./i>: Wand Flexibility
» <.i>Description<./i>: Use full sentences. Keep grammar and spelling within accepted standards. The exception is paragraphs. Instead of separating thoughts into different paragraphs, squish it all into one. Spell out all numbers. Describe how the wand chose the witch/wizard. Besides describing the physical appearance of the wand, be sure to include what the wood, core, length, and flexibility add to the wand, as far as what properties each component contributes to the wand are concerned.
<.b>Appearance<./b>: <.img src="link"/> (embed photo; remove this line if not using image; no famous faces)
<.b>Description<./b>: Use full sentences. Keep grammar and spelling within accepted standards. The exception is paragraphs. Instead of separating thoughts into different paragraphs, squish it all into one. Spell out all numbers. Make sure to include details like height, characteristics of speaking voice, and other similar things not evident from a picture. Even when using a picture, be sure to describe evident traits (ex. hair color, eye color). Be sure to include personality in addition to a physical description.
<.b>Background<./b>: Use full sentences. Keep grammar and spelling within accepted standards. The exception is paragraphs. Instead of separating thoughts into different paragraphs, squish it all into one. Spell out all numbers.
<.b>Relations<./b>:
» <.i>First Middle(?) Last<./i> - Relation; X (age); Half-Blood OR Muggle OR Muggle-Born OR Pure-Blood; (if wizard who attended Hogwarts) Former House; Other Information (make sure to capitalize each piece as if it were a title [Things like the, a, as, and... don't need to be capitalized]; sort relations oldest [top] to youngest [bottom])
<.b>Pet<./b>: Cat OR Owl OR Toad (other animals—apply)
» <.i>Name<./i>: Name
» <.i>Gender<./i>: Female OR Male
» <.i>Age<./i>: X (keep in mind that most people get their pets at Diagon Alley in the weeks before their first year)
» <.i>Appearance<./i>: <.img src="link"/> (embed photo; remove this line if not using image)
» <.i>Description<./i>: Use full sentences. Keep grammar and spelling within accepted standards. The exception is paragraphs. Instead of separating thoughts into different paragraphs, squish it all into one. Spell out all numbers. Make sure to include details like size and other similar things not evident from a picture. Even when using a picture, be sure to describe evident traits (ex. coloring). Be sure to include personality in addition to a physical description.
<.b>Other<./b>: Use full sentences. Keep grammar and spelling within accepted standards. The exception is paragraphs. Instead of separating thoughts into different paragraphs, squish it all into one. Spell out all numbers. Do not leave this section blank; N/A doesn't count.

message 3: by s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§», Headmaster (last edited Feb 02, 2014 11:38PM) (new)

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» | 600 comments Creating Wands

The following process is what I do when writing descriptions for my characters' wands. For this example, I am using my character Clarisse Amber Straut. Keep in mind when creating wands for your own characters that the average wand length is 12 1/2 inches (almost always between 9 and 14 inches) and most wands have only one wood and only one core. Pliable and supple are basically average concerning flexibility.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

. Wood: Rowan
. Core: Chimera Scale Fragment and Dragon Heartstring
. Length: 13 1/2 Inches
. Flexibility: Quite Rigid

Basic Information From Wands:

Rowan
Rowan wood has always been much-favored for wands, because it is reputed to be more protective than any other, and in my experience renders all manner of defensive charms especially strong and difficult to break. It is commonly stated that no Dark witch or wizard ever owned a rowan wand, and I cannot recall a single instance where one of my own rowan wands has gone on to do evil in the world. Rowan is most happily placed with the clear-headed and the pure-hearted, but this reputation for virtue ought not to fool anyone—these wands are the equal of any, often the better, and frequently out-perform others in duels.

Chimera Scale Fragment (heirloom core)
Although Chimera Scales are magically powerful, they are extremely rare in modern wand craft. This is not out of any concern for safety, as they are generally considered no more stubborn than Hippogriff Feathers, and are more stable than Erumpent Hide. The fact of the matter is that there are more recorded Basilisk slayings in the past fifty years than there are Chimera slayings in all of recorded history. This one slaying occurred in Greece over two millennia ago, so what Scales were harvested at that time have been degraded, broken, and dispersed. Today, they are only found as parts of heirloom cores, and even then, all such cores are a more common core (often Dragon Heartstring) with a tiny fragment of scale embedded. Chimera wands are most common in Greece and the Balkans, although as they were circulated through the Mediterranean and former Roman Empire they are found throughout Europe. These wands are prized for their raw power, although they are difficult to control.

Dragon Heartstring
As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner.

The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

Length
Many wandmakers simply match wand length to the size of the witch or wizard who will use it, but this is a crude measure, and fails to take into account many other, important considerations. In my experience, longer wands might suit taller wizards, but they tend to be drawn to bigger personalities, and those of a more spacious and dramatic style of magic. Neater wands favor more elegant and refined spell-casting. However, no single aspect of wand composition should be considered in isolation of all the others, and the type of woods, the core, and the flexibility may either counterbalance or enhance the attributes of the wand's length.

Most wands will be in the range of between nine and fourteen inches. While I have sold extremely short wands (eight inches and under) and very long wands (over fifteen inches), these are exceptionally rare. However, abnormally short wands usually select those in whose character something is lacking, rather than because they are physically undersized (many small witches and wizards are chosen by longer wands).

Flexibility
Wand flexibility or rigidity denotes the degree of adaptability and willingness to change possessed by the wand-and-owner pair—although, again, this factor ought not to be considered separately from the wand wood, core, and length, nor the owner's life experience and style of magic, all of which will combine to make the wand in question unique.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Characteristics (directly from the information above)

Rowan
. reputed to be more protective than any other
. renders all manner of defensive charms especially strong and difficult to break
. no Dark witch or wizard ever owned a rowan wand
. most happily placed with the clear-headed and the pure-hearted
. these wands are the equal of any, often the better, and frequently out-perform others in duels

. magically powerful
. extremely rare
. considered no more stubborn than Hippogriff Feathers
. more stable than Erumpent Hide
. today, they are only found as parts of heirloom cores, and even then, all such cores are a more common core (often Dragon Heartstring) with a tiny fragment of scale embedded
. most common in Greece and the Balkans, although as they were circulated through the Mediterranean and former Roman Empire they are found throughout Europe
. prized for their raw power
. difficult to control

Dragon Heartstring
. wands with the most power, capable of the most flamboyant spells
. tend to learn more quickly than other types
. can change allegiance if won from their original master
. always bond strongly with the current owner
. tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord
. the most prone of the three cores to accidents
. somewhat temperamental

13 1/2 Inches
. longer wands might suit taller wizards, but they tend to be drawn to bigger personalities, and those of a more spacious and dramatic style of magic
. neater wands favor more elegant and refined spell-casting
. most wands will be in the range of between nine and fourteen inches
. extremely short wands (eight inches and under) and very long wands (over fifteen inches) are exceptionally rare
. abnormally short wands usually select those in whose character something is lacking, rather than because they are physically undersized (many small witches and wizards are chosen by longer wands)

Quite Rigid
. denotes the degree of adaptability and willingness to change possessed by the wand-and-owner pair

What This Means About Clarisse

Rowan
. no Dark witch or wizard ever owned a rowan wand

. today, they are only found as parts of heirloom cores, and even then, all such cores are a more common core (often Dragon Heartstring) with a tiny fragment of scale embedded
. most common in Greece and the Balkans, although as they were circulated through the Mediterranean and former Roman Empire they are found throughout Europe

Dragon Heartstring
. tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord

13 1/2 Inches
. longer wands might suit taller wizards, but they tend to be drawn to bigger personalities, and those of a more spacious and dramatic style of magic
. neater wands favor more elegant and refined spell-casting

Quite Rigid
. denotes the degree of adaptability and willingness to change possessed by the wand-and-owner pair

What All That's Really Saying

About Clarisse
. (probably) not a Dark witch
. (probably) clear-headed and pure-hearted
. (probably) heirloom core/wand
. (probable) Greek or Balkan heritage
. (likely) flamboyant spell-caster
. not a Dark witch
. bigger personality
. spacious and dramatic style of magic
. not very willing to adapt and change

About Clarisse's Wand
. reputed to be more protective than any other
. renders all manner of defensive charms especially strong and difficult to break
. these wands are the equal of any, often the better, and frequently out-perform others in duels
. magically powerful
. extremely rare
. considered no more stubborn than Hippogriff Feathers
. more stable than Erumpent Hide
. prized for their raw power
. difficult to control
. learn more quickly than other types
. can change allegiance if won from their original master
. always bond strongly with the current owner
. the most prone of the three cores to accidents
. somewhat temperamental
. drawn to bigger personalities, and those of a more spacious and dramatic style of magic
. most wands will be in the range of between nine and fourteen inches

—continued—

message 4: by s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§», Headmaster (last edited Feb 12, 2014 10:14PM) (new)

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» | 600 comments —continued—

Broken-Down Description and Source Material

Story

Both Clarisse's parents and the wand shop owner, the current Ollivander, were surprised by the wand that chose the girl. It was odd how, after trying five or so wands, Clarisse pointed to a box, requesting to try the enclosed wand. Thinking it a random selection, Ollivander entertained the girl's whim, expecting little from the effort. Much to his surprise, the wand emitted a golden beam of light, bringing an enormous smile to the little girl's face.

Physical Description
The wand is on the long side, which makes sense for Clarisse, given her dramatic mannerism (longer wands might suit taller wizards, but they tend to be drawn to bigger personalities, and those of a more spacious and dramatic style of magic). The handle is intricately carved, while the wood above is smooth, narrowing slowly until the top inch, where the wood swiftly tapers to a slender tip. At the top of the handle, the wood has been contoured to a spheric shape, proceeded by some bulbous material that is just a little too big for Clarisse's current finger size, the base of the wand ended in another spherical shape and then some convex rings and finally a rounded end. The wood is not analogously colored, instead having a darker grain appearing in vertical ellipses. The main color of the wood is a warm shade of medium-brown, but the irregular ellipses are darker in color, like that of a ninety-percent cacao chocolate.

Properties
The wandmaker told the young girl, as her parents paid for the wand, that this wand contained a very rare core (extremely rare), a fragment of a Chimera scale, gained many years ago when a Greek wizard (most common in Greece and the Balkans, although as they were circulated through the Mediterranean and former Roman Empire they are found throughout Europe) brought in the very wand Clarisse now held, a family heirloom ( today, they are only found as parts of heirloom cores, and even then, all such cores are a more common core (often Dragon Heartstring) with a tiny fragment of scale embedded) that the wizard had grown frustrated of trying to work with (difficult to control). Ollivander continued his story, explaining that he had been surprised to be offered the wand, but willingly traded it for another with the individual. The wandmaker warned Clarisse that she would need to respect its power (magically powerful), in order to reap the full potential offered before seeing her and her parents out the door. Attracted to Clarisse for her cleverness and pure heart (most happily placed with the clear-headed and the pure-hearted), it is a powerful wand (prized for their raw power; wands with the most power, capable of the most flamboyant spells ) worthy of respect. Rowan is prized for its protective nature (reputed to be more protective than any other), a quality which, in this wand, makes it less willing to change owners, despite dragon heartstring (can change allegiance if won from their original master) making up part of the core. It is further a trait of Rowan to be able to cause defensive charms and spells cast to be particularly strong (renders all manner of defensive charms especially strong and difficult to break), aided by the strength of the wand's cores (prized for their raw power; wands with the most power, capable of the most flamboyant spells ). Despite a reputation for virtue (this reputation for virtue ought not to fool anyone), rowan makes for especially potent dueling wands (these wands are the equal of any, often the better, and frequently out-perform others in duels). The chimera scale fragment adds (besides raw power) stability to the wand (more stable than Erumpent Hide)—dragon heartstring tends to be a more volatile core (the most prone of the three cores to accidents). The wand isn't particularly stubborn (considered no more stubborn than Hippogriff Feathers), and learns fairly quickly (learn more quickly than other types). That being said, it is not for subtle magic (wands with the most power, capable of the most flamboyant spells)—not that Clarisse minds—and it can be a tad bit temperamental (somewhat temperamental), and often difficult to control (difficult to control).

Final Description

Both Clarisse's parents and the wand shop owner, the current Ollivander, were surprised by the wand that chose the girl. It was odd how, after trying five or so wands, Clarisse pointed to a box, requesting to try the enclosed wand. Thinking it a random selection, Ollivander entertained the girl's whim, expecting little from the effort. Much to his surprise, the wand emitted a golden beam of light, bringing an enormous smile to the little girl's face. The wandmaker told the young girl, as her parents paid for the wand, that this wand contained a very rare core, a fragment of a Chimera scale, gained many years ago when a Greek wizard brought in the very wand Clarisse now held, a family heirloom that the wizard had grown frustrated of trying to work with. Ollivander continued his story, explaining that he had been surprised to be offered the wand, but willingly traded it for another with the individual. The wandmaker warned Clarisse that she would need to respect its power, in order to reap the full potential offered before seeing her and her parents out the door. The wand is on the long side, which makes sense for Clarisse, given her dramatic mannerism. The handle is intricately carved, while the wood above is smooth, narrowing slowly until the top inch, where the wood swiftly tapers to a slender tip. At the top of the handle, the wood has been contoured to a spheric shape, proceeded by some bulbous material that is just a little too big for Clarisse's current finger size, the base of the wand ended in another spherical shape and then some convex rings and finally a rounded end. The wood is not analogously colored, instead having a darker grain appearing in vertical ellipses. The main color of the wood is a warm shade of medium-brown, but the irregular ellipses are darker in color, like that of a ninety-percent cacao chocolate. Attracted to Clarisse for her cleverness and pure heart, it is a powerful wand worthy of respect. Rowan is prized for its protective nature, a quality which, in this wand, makes it less willing to change owners, despite dragon heartstring making up part of the core. It is further a trait of Rowan to be able to cause defensive charms and spells cast to be particularly strong, aided by the strength of the wand's cores. Despite a reputation for virtue, rowan makes for especially potent dueling wands. The chimera scale fragment adds (besides raw power) stability to the wand—dragon heartstring tends to be a more volatile core. The wand isn't particularly stubborn, and learns fairly quickly. That being said, it is not for subtle magic—not that Clarisse minds—and it can be a tad bit temperamental, and often difficult to control.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.