Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

HARO and Google search for publicity

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (last edited Jul 05, 2009 02:38PM) (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 54 comments Hi all,
I'm here to encourage you to keep trying to get publicity. I have been using HARO and Google search to come up with articles related to my books, mysteries which feature a Realtor amateur sleuth. I have been hitting the web hard emailing my press release which begins, "The real estate market's a mess. What's a Realtor to do? Write a murder mystery," and getting some return hits.

As a result, I got questioned by a columnist for the San Francisco Examiner and helped him with an article. He just sent me a prelim for what he's posting which included the following: "Nancy's books are smart, funny mysteries that also give a true to life look at the life of a real estate agent."

Keep trying! Eventually it works. Now I can quote a SF paper that my books are smart funny mysteries. I'm so excited.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Thompson (davilbob) | 45 comments Good for you Nancy. Way to go.

message 3: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) That's great, Nancy! What perseverance! And it's paid off. :)

Now, what's HARO?

message 4: by Nancy (last edited Jul 08, 2009 10:42PM) (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 54 comments HARO stands for Help A Reporter Out. You can goole HARO and sign up for it easily. What happens is three times a day you receive an email with a list of topics reporters are researching for articles and books. They include their email addresses and you can respond if you think you have something to offer.

It doesn't matter whether you write fiction or non-fiction. With a little creative thought you can think of a tie-in with topics occasionally. Most of the time you'll send off an email and not get a response. But every once in a while you'll hit and get some free publicity.