Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > February 2014 - Non-Romance Listenting

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to A Rule Against Murder

message 2: by Shell (new)

Shell | 1 comments Finished Heir to the Shadows. Love love love this series! It's an annual re-read for me, and bonus, the narrator is fantasic, so it'll be an annual re-listen now.

Currently listening to Breakers. Not really getting hooked into it. I'm gonna give it another try and see if it gets better.Keep fingers crossed

message 3: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I'm listening to Ripper by Isabel Allende. It's a mystery. So far I'm enjoying it. We haven't got to the meat of the story yet.

I'm thinking about getting the first Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell at the audible 4.95 sale.

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Shell wrote: "Finished Heir to the Shadows. Love love love this series! It's an annual re-read for me, and bonus, the narrator is fantasic, so it'll be an annual re-listen now.

Currently listening ..."

Oh I have that series in print...if the audio is good, I might switch!

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7) by Lee Child , as usual, there's Jack Reacher kicking butt left and right and hooking up with women. The man doesn't pass a chance! I always wonder though what kind of protection he uses because he's famous for only carrying his toothbrush around. Or am I to assume that the women bring the condoms?

message 6: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments I just started listening to A Monster Calls, narrated by Eric Isaacs, who I haven't heard before. Excellent narration so far. It's YA, I think - but quite good.

message 7: by Shell (new)

Shell | 1 comments D.G. wrote: "Shell wrote: "Finished Heir to the Shadows. Love love love this series! It's an annual re-read for me, and bonus, the narrator is fantasic, so it'll be an annual re-listen now.

Curren..."

John Sharian, the narrator, is fabulous! I wholeheartedly recommend it in audio! Luckily he does the entire series.

message 8: by D.G. (last edited Feb 11, 2014 04:13AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Shell wrote: "D.G. wrote: "John Sharian, the narrator, is fabulous! I wholeheartedly recommend it in audio! Luckily he does the entire series. "

Oohhh! I'm adding this one to my Audible WL right now!

Thanks for mentioning it!

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 60 comments Just finished (almost anyway) Unbound anthology. Key Line Drifter by Kim Harrison 4.5 stars, Two Lines by Melissa Marr (couldn't finish), Reckoning by Jeaniene Frost 5 stars, Dark Matters by Vicki Pattersson 3.5 stars, The Dead, the Damned, and the Forgotten by Jocelynn Drake 4 stars, Don Hagen (Narrator) 3.5 stars. Didn't realize Mira was a female until halfway into story, he needed more work on her voice.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments started 'Divergent' so many people recommended the title...thought I'd listen before the movie comes out.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina | 54 comments I recently finished listening to Code Name Verity, and I highly recommend it. It is identified as young adult, but it was hard for me to understand why. It's historical fiction, set during WWII. The two main characters are young women in England. The narration is done by two women as well. A gripping story.

message 12: by Shell (new)

Shell | 1 comments Christina wrote: "I recently finished listening to Code Name Verity, and I highly recommend it. It is identified as young adult, but it was hard for me to understand why. It's historical fiction, set..."

I concur! It's an amazing story and very well performed!

message 13: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I finished Ripper by Isabel Allende. It was okay. I was sad about the way she ended it. One of the reasons I read romance is because I like happy endings. It also took a long time to get going into the meat of the mystery and the resolution was a little improbable. The narration was very good though, I thought.

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

message 15: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments Is it same narrator as Agent of Change? Didn't love the narrator and it kind of stopped me.

My non-romance listening has included some Jasper Fforde and Anne Perry.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments Nope, it's Eileen Stevens. She's doing a pretty good job so far.

message 17: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments Oh good to know! Really liked Ghost Ship...

message 18: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Just finished Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings. I listened to most of it and read a portion as well. It's one of those that is improved by the performance. Don't get me wrong - the content rates a solid B but the two female narrators brought it home - especially the one performing Handful's POV (a slave). An A for narration.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to Killing Floor - its been on my audible TBR since 2010...I'm making it a goal to listen to at least 10 books this year, that i've had for more than 2 years and not yet gotten to - so far i've knocked 3 off

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 33 comments I really want to read Invention of Wings. I have it here TBR. My nonromance listening has included We are Water by Wally Lamb, and Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibly.

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Dee wrote: "listening to Killing Floor - its been on my audible TBR since 2010...I'm making it a goal to listen to at least 10 books this year, that i've had for more than 2 years and not yet gott..."

Excellent book, if I'm not mistaken that's the first in the Jack Reacher novels.... Dick Hill does the narration work...does a great job.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments yep that's it - i'm intrigued, but i'm not sure if i'll continue the series...I do see why such an uproar when Tom Cruise was annouced to be Reacher...lol - I have a mental image of him and its totally not cool

message 23: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Finished with A Monster Calls (absolutely excellent YA story and narration), and have moved on to Every Day, which is also very compelling. Narration takes a bit of getting used to, but it's worth it. Excellent story and narration so far.

message 24: by D.G. (last edited Feb 22, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Dee wrote: "yep that's it - i'm intrigued, but i'm not sure if i'll continue the series...I do see why such an uproar when Tom Cruise was annouced to be Reacher...lol - I have a mental image of him and its tot..."

I actually watched the movie before I starting the series but Tom Cruise's image faded right away. I think more of a thirty-something Dolph Lundgren when I think of Reacher (big, blond and mean looking.)

The books are adictive. I'm up to book #8 and I started reading less than a year ago!

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments That's a much better visual DG - it isn't bad - have to suspend disbelief for sure - don't see me listening to more than one every few months

message 26: by D.G. (last edited Feb 24, 2014 04:30AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments LOL, yes, you really have to suspend disbelief!!! I like the books but the things he does are so crazy that are unbelievable. And how he always gets away with everything!

For my money, I prefer the John Rain series. Like Reacher, he's super kick ass but the plots are more believable and he has a lot more depth as a character - I find that sometimes, Reacher can be two dimensional.

Mr. Eisler (John Rain's author) just re-recorded the books himself and he did a GREAT job (the series had different narrators per book and only one was really good).

I'm listening to #5 now and enjoying it a lot even if sometimes they don't let me sleep. :)

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I can suspend disbelief to a point but for example in the first book how he located the guy hiding...that was too random for me...

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I'll throw Eisler on the pile - I've seen decent reviews of his stuff

message 29: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Dee wrote: "I can suspend disbelief to a point but for example in the first book how he located the guy hiding...that was too random for me..."

In book 2, he even does craziest stuff. He has a trick where he goes to sleep, sets up an alarm "in his head" and wakes up at exactly that time! It was hilarious when he used it. I almost peed my pants laughing, it was so crazy.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I know ppl who can do that in real life - having done shift work for years my brain seems to wake me up right before alarm goes off

message 31: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments It wasn't as if he was following a particular routine or that he used that as a backup with an alarm. He had no alarm, he had slept very little in a couple of days but needed to wake up in X number of hours so he set the alarm in his head and woke up at EXACTLY the hour he wanted to the minute. It was an important plot point that we would wake up at exactly that time.

I can understand waking at around the same time each day - I can do that - but not setting up the alarm in your head at will with such exactitude at a time when you are really tired.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments That sounds like spec forces training - one of my officers from first ship is a seal and they are taught stuff like that

message 33: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Maybe. Reacher can do it all even though he was an MP! (He's a kickass sniper too...that came out in book 2 but has never resurfaced again.)

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments yeah well, the army wouldn't randomly kick a major out either unless he failed to advance or he had some kind of blemish on his record...even if they were downsizing...but that's a whole nother story

message 35: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Dee wrote: "yeah well, the army wouldn't randomly kick a major out either unless he failed to advance or he had some kind of blemish on his record...even if they were downsizing...but that's a whole nother story"

Yeah, that's very fishy. In the following books, he tries to explain the whole thing and it doesn't make much sense. I mean, this guy has mad skillz!!! Sometimes he makes it seem like he left but not really.

I'm up to book 8 and it's a prequel to his time in the Army so I'm interested to learn how he functioned there.

message 36: by Sue (last edited Feb 28, 2014 09:26AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Timebound this was a kindle first a few months ago. Very good, but you have to forgive the narrator initially... she's a bit too melodramtic when she starts out Kate Rudd. But she settles down, partially it's because it's a YA novel and I think all YA novels are read a bit dramatically (matches the whole teen angst theory). The story is quite good, it's time travel to the N'th degree, someone from the future stepping back in time and changing things that impact the present and the new future. I found it very entertaining and had some nice historical referrences. The author does plan to publish another in the series, I do see this as becoming quite popular as long as the author can keep up. I believe this is her debut novel. i.e. this book won a number of awards.