David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Lissa Price
This topic is about Lissa Price
Author Q&A > Lissa Price (Author of Starters) Q&A Event--Feb 6-9th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Feb 09, 2014 10:31AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
From Feburary 6-9th, bestselling author Lissa Price, author of Starters, will be coming to our group to answer questions about her books, her life as an author, and about anything else you all can come up with!! So get ready for the fun and start thinking of some questions to ask her!

Lissa has generously donated a wonderful prize for a giveaway: A signed paperback of Starters, a signed hardback of Enders, plus some bookmarks and swag! It is a US only giveaway. All you have to do to be entered to win is to ask Lissa a question! How easy is that! Please check the list of questions on this post before posting your question to make sure it hasn't been asked already! Thanks!

And if you haven't checked out her books yet, I encourage you to try them! They are great dystopian reads!

Starters (Starters, #1) by Lissa Price Enders (Starters, #2) by Lissa Price

AND Starters is on sale right now for only $2.99 on all digital formats!

Questions:

1. Karen--I thought Starters was a very unique story and loved it! Where did the idea come from?

2. Karen--What's next after this series?

3. Karen--Do you have any favorite fan moments?

4. Heather--Who was your inspiration???

5. Karen--Did you have any input in the cover designs for Starters and Enders?

6. Karen--How many books are in this series?

7. Amber--Who is your favorite EVIL character? And why?

8. Kathryn--Would you ever be okay with a movie being made of your novels? If so, who would play the main characters?

9. David--Are you a thrill seeker? What's the most extreme activity you've engaged in (sky diving, bungee jumping, etc.)?

10. Julie--At what point did you decide to be an author and what was your path to publication?

11. Julie--What do you do when a new idea jumps out at you while you're still working on a book? Do you chase the squirrel (aka "UP syndrome") or do you finish your current project first?

12. Julie--Who is your favorite character to write, and why is that person your favorite? If picking a favorite character would be like picking a favorite child, which character seems to be the most demanding or your attention and detail as a writer?

13. Julie--Do you identify with your main character or did you create a character that is your opposite?

14. Julie--Describe your writing process. Do you outline, plot and plan, or is your writing more organic?

15. Ariella--Do you listen to music while you write or do you prefer silence?

16. Lauren--Do you have a Starters or an Enders playlist?

17. Jenny--Are you going to write a third book? If not why two book because most author have three book in a series.

18. Dnicole--After reading the synopsis I have to wonder what happens if one of these older "seniors" rent your body and shoots up heroin or catches and STD or something? Drug and alcohol use destroy the body so have you addressed this in the book?

19. Natalie--If you were to write a book with another author, who would it be?

20. Jen--What do you think about the cover change? Love it or hate it?

21. Jen--Are you a native Californian? Ever think of leaving? Where would you go?

22. Jen--What's your favourite book?

23. Chantal--How do you find the motivation to write?

24. Karah--Why should people (including myself) read these books?

25. Karen--Can you tell us a little about each novella, Lissa? I just noticed that there are 3 of them, right?

26. Jesse--Lissa, How did you come up with the Spore War?

27. Karen--What's next to you (or close by) when you're writing?

28. Layla--What do you find is the hardest obstacle for you as an author?

29. Layla--Do you read negative reviews of your books? Positive?

30. Elizabeth--I was wondering, if you were to give advice to teens who also wanted to write their own novels some day, what would it be?

31. Karen--Lissa, are you friends with Dean Koontz? You mentioned him above and I noticed his blurb on your book (SOOOOOO exciting!!). I LOVE Dean Koontz!!

32. Jenny--What book have you read that scared you the most? And do you like books that deliciously scare you in general?

33. David--If you were desperate (had a younger sibling to take care of, feed, etc), would you ever consider letting someone live vicariously through you for a big payoff?

34. Colette--Who is your favorite villainous hero? Or do you have one?

35. Phaedra--What's your favorite book?

36. Erica--What kind of reading/writing/book events do you love going to as an author?

37. Jenny--What is your favorite genre of books to read?

38. Question from Lissa for all of us--So this is a question from me - if you were to read a third book in the Starters series that continues on from where Enders leaves off, what characters would you really like to see in it? Who were your favorite characters from the first two books?

And who would you like to see Callie end up with?

39. Lily--What's your reaction when you see someone reading your book or looking at it at the store or just seeing it on the shelves at book stores?

40. Maureen--Hi Lissa! What do Callie and you have in common? or do you relate yourself to other characters?

41. Jenny--How do you organize your bookshelves? This topic fascinates me, so many people organize them differently!

42. Karen--How long did it take to become a published author? What was that process like for you?

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Eeepp!! Just reread Starters to get ready for Enders!! Loved it both times!! Can't wait!!

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I know, I'm glad I recently reread Starters! Still need to get my copy of Enders, though!

message 4: by Dre (new)

Dre (drewolf) | 266 comments So many books to read...and I haven't read this yet!

Jenny wrote: "I know, I'm glad I recently reread Starters! Still need to get my copy of Enders, though!"

Same here, Jenny! I got the hardcopy of Starters as a secret santa gift so want a hardcopy of Enders for my collection!

Dre, you'll love this one!!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Loved loved loved this book, can't wait to read the sequel!

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 75 comments I am so excited about this Q & A. I loved this book! I finished it just a little too late to join the buddy read but maybe I can try with Enders if you have one. I am looking forward to asking some questions.

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 119 comments I'm on the sequel now and can't wait to finish.

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:23PM) (new)

Okay, peeps, feel free to start posting questions for Lissa anytime!

Please don't forget to post them in bold so Lissa and I can find your questions! Thanks!

AND, Lissa has donated a prize for a giveaway, check the top post above!

Hi Lissa!!! Welcome to our fabulous group! We're really excited to have you join us.

I thought Starters was a very unique story and loved it! Where did the idea come from?

What's next after this series?

Do you have any favorite fan moments?

message 11: by Heather Bell (new)

Heather Bell | 57 comments Who was your inspiration???

Did you have any input in the cover designs for Starters and Enders?

How many books are in this series?

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 14 comments Who is your favorite EVIL character? And why?

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Thanks so much for joining us Lissa, I adored Starters! And a big thanks for Jenny for organizing the event!

Are you a thrill seeker? What's the most extreme activity you've engaged in (sky diving, bungee jumping, etc.)?

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliecookies) | 4 comments At what point did you decide to be an author and what was your path to publication?

What do you do when a new idea jumps out at you while you're still working on a book? Do you chase the squirrel (aka "UP syndrome") or do you finish your current project first?

Who is your favorite character to write, and why is that person your favorite? If picking a favorite character would be like picking a favorite child, which character seems to be the most demanding or your attention and detail as a writer?

Do you identify with your main character or did you create a character that is your opposite?

Describe your writing process. Do you outline, plot and plan, or is your writing more organic?

message 16: by Ariella (new)

Ariella (ariellah980) | 18 comments Do you listen to music while you write or do you prefer silence?

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Thanks for visiting our group, Lissa! I'm really looking forward to reading Starters.

Do you have a Starters or an Enders playlist?

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Liu (Jennydec23) | 4 comments Are you going to write a third book? If not why two book because most author have three book in a series.

message 19: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Karen wrote: "Hi Lissa!!! Welcome to our fabulous group! We're really excited to have you join us.

I thought Starters was a very unique story and loved it! Where did the idea come from?

What's next after this..."

Thanks, Karen! I am really thrilled to be here. Many thanks to David and Jenny and everyone else on David's wonderful team. And thank you all for showing up!

So let me take a sip of my chai decaf tea, look out on the view of the Hollywood Hills (my morning ritual) and begin. :)

I got the idea from going to Costco. Yes, really. For anyone who doesn't know, Costco is a "big box store," a warehouse that you have to join with a membership that carries items in pretty large quantities. The merchandise changes, but they always have books, groceries and a large pharmacy.

I went there to get a flu shot a few years ago and they didn't have enough vaccine. So the government set up a triage system: only the very young and the very old could get the shot. And I thought what if this was a killer disease? Then the only people left would be the very young and the very old, the most vulnerable members of society.

There's a little more on my website about this.

What's next after the series is a secret - shhh. :)

My favorite fan moment - I have many, but one that pops in my head is a girl from Brazil who's younger brother would not read. They tried Potter, THG, everything. Then he saw my book in her room and was reading under the covers with a flashlight at night. Her whole family was in tears and they are my friends for life. I'm grateful they shared that story with me.

message 20: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Heather wrote: "Who was your inspiration???"

My immediate inspiration was Suzanne Collins and Catherine Fisher. They are both great storytellers who don't talk down to the reader.

message 21: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Karen wrote: "Did you have any input in the cover designs for Starters and Enders?

How many books are in this series?"

I had cover consultation rights which meant they did ask my opinion in the US, but in the end it was their choice. It was a complicated process. The series is published in over 30 countries so some of those picked the original cover and some designed their own covers. You can see those on my site.

Right now there are two books in the series. That was my original plan. However, I'm getting a lot of requests for more, so we'll see. I do have ideas for where it would go next. :)

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 897 comments Well, Lissa, I have not read your book yet so I can't ask any questions that would mean anything. I did read the synopsis on Amazon and the reviews are very good so it is on my "to read next" list. Oh, and the price is very reasonable too, at least for this first book.

After reading the synopsis I have to wonder what happens if one of these older "seniors" rent your body and shoots up heroin or catches and STD or something? Drug and alcohol use destroy the body so have you addressed this in the book?

message 23: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Amber wrote: "Who is your favorite EVIL character? And why?"

That's pretty easy - The Old Man. He was constantly surprising me.

Lissa wrote: "Amber wrote: "Who is your favorite EVIL character? And why?"

That's pretty easy - The Old Man. He was constantly surprising me."

And ME! Genius what you did, Lissa!!!

message 25: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Kathryn wrote: " Would you ever be okay with a movie being made of your novels? If so, who would play the main characters? "

Yes, we had a movie deal in place last year but as these things go, the deal went away. The series has a lot of fans in the business, some very smart people, so we all expect it will happen.

I always wanted Hailee Steinfeld for Callie. I don't have casting ideas for the guys - I would love opinions!

message 26: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price David wrote: "Thanks so much for joining us Lissa, I adored Starters! And a big thanks for Jenny for organizing the event!

Are you a thrill seeker? What's the most extreme activity you've engaged in (sky divin..."

Hi David, thank you so much for inviting me! Jenny is amazing.

I would not call myself a thrill seeker.I dive and snorkel and swim in the ocean with wild dolphins which can get exciting when they're spinning out of the water near you. But the most white-knuckle experiences I've had have been in helicopters in New Zealand and three-seater planes in Africa. It's so strange to be up that high or going through mountains in something as small as a car.

message 27: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Karen wrote: "Lissa wrote: "Amber wrote: "Who is your favorite EVIL character? And why?"

That's pretty easy - The Old Man. He was constantly surprising me."

And ME! Genius what you did, Lissa!!!"

Aw, thank you, that made my morning!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Hello Lissa!!! I can't wait to begin Starters just as soon as the library gets it! Such a pretty cover!!

If you were to write a book with another author, who would it be?

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Hi Lissa - thank you so much for 1-being here, and 2-such great stories. I'm wondering . . .

What do you think about the cover change? Love it or hate it?

Are you a native Californian? Ever think of leaving? Where would you go?

What's your favourite book?

message 30: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Julie wrote: "At what point did you decide to be an author and what was your path to publication?

What do you do when a new idea jumps out at you while you're still working on a book? Do you chase the squirrel..."

I've always written, as soon as I knew the alphabet, but it was a few years ago that I got this crazy notion that I might be able to write a novel. I went to conferences, read a lot of books (both fiction and about writing), and joined a writing group that met weekly. After two manuscripts that my agents didn't sell, I wrote Starters and like a fairy tale, it all went like a charm.

When I get a new idea, I type up a file about it and then know that it's safely tucked away for later. I definitely don't go chasing the squirrel! :)

message 31: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Julie wrote: ""Who is your favorite character to write, and why is that person your favorite? If picking a favorite character would be like picking a favorite child, which character seems to be the most demanding or your attention and detail as a writer?

Again, I'd have to say the Old Man. He's just so fascinating to me.

message 32: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Julie wrote: "
Do you identify with your main character or did you create a character that is your opposite?
"

Julie, you have such great questions, I'm guessing you are also a writer. I have to identify with all my characters, at least for the times I'm writing them. Even the villain thinks he's the hero of his own story. But in the case of Callie, I identified with her. I wanted the readers to identify with her even if she could do things that you or I would find scary. There's no story if the character just stays in bed with the blanket over their heads, right? :)

message 33: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Julie wrote: "Describe your writing process. Do you outline, plot and plan, or is your writing more organic?"

I have a strange hybrid process. After thinking about my story and my characters for a long time, I then start with the high points. I know my ending and maybe the peaks, some favorite moments. I often write up a kind of outline. But when I start to write page one, I work more organically, listening to the characters.

I love Stephen King's description about how he feels the story is already there, like a fossil you have to dig up.

message 34: by Chantal (new)

Chantal (taldellorrie) How do you find the motivation to write?

message 35: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Lissa wrote: "David wrote: "Thanks so much for joining us Lissa, I adored Starters! And a big thanks for Jenny for organizing the event!

Are you a thrill seeker? What's the most extreme activity you've engaged..."

Aww..thank you! You made my day!

That sounds pretty thrilling to me! I'm scared of heights!

message 36: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Ariella wrote: "Do you listen to music while you write or do you prefer silence?"

I am so lucky, Ariella, in that I can write to silence or the tv in the background or music. I typically don't put the headphones on until I'm deep into the story.

message 37: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Lauren wrote: "Thanks for visiting our group, Lissa! I'm really looking forward to reading Starters.

Do you have a Starters or an Enders playlist?"

It's just one song: Lie to Me by Jonny Lang, acoustic version

message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliecookies) | 4 comments Lissa wrote: "Julie wrote: "
"

Julie, you have such great questions, I'm guessing you are also a writer. I have to i..."

I'm not a writer, but I am a blogger so I've learned to create questions authors might enjoy :)

message 39: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Jenny wrote: "Are you going to write a third book? If not why two book because most author have three book in a series."

That is the question of the moment. Originally, this was planned to be a duology, a two-book series. You're right, we're all used to trilogies, so this was pretty unusual in YA when I wrote Starters.

But in the writing of Enders, I could see how the story could continue, as I open up a new door. (don't worry, it is NOT a cliffhanger). And I'm getting a lot of requests for a third book. So we'll see. Thanks for asking!

message 40: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Dnicole wrote: "Well, Lissa, I have not read your book yet so I can't ask any questions that would mean anything. I did read the synopsis on Amazon and the reviews are very good so it is on my "to read next" list...

After reading the synopsis I have to wonder what happens if one of these older "seniors" rent your body and shoots up heroin or catches and STD or something? Drug and alcohol use destroy the body so have you addressed this in the book? ."

Actually, the questions raised by people who haven't read the book are just as interesting, so thank you for asking. Yes, I do address this. There are a set of rules for the "Enders" (the seniors) who are renting bodies - they're not supposed to do anything bad to the body. However, if something goes wrong, Prime Destinations can fix a lot with their futuristic lasers. It's clear that obviously some renters are not going to follow the rules, but the book is considered a "clean read" - the story I wanted to tell involves issues of levels of reality, who can you trust, how wise is it to judge people only by their exterior, etc.

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliecookies) | 4 comments Lissa wrote: "But in the writing of Enders, I could see how the story could continue, as I open up a new door. (don't worry, it is NOT a cliffhanger). And I'm getting a lot of requests for a third book. So we'll see. Thanks for asking! "

Maybe a spin-off companion novel?

message 42: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 897 comments Lissa wrote: "Dnicole wrote: "Well, Lissa, I have not read your book yet so I can't ask any questions that would mean anything. I did read the synopsis on Amazon and the reviews are very good so it is on my "to ..."

Thank you Lissa! Being a senior I would love to rent a young body and wear beautiful clothes and shoes (oh,the shoes!) and travel all over the world without worrying about my back killing me sitting in a plane to get there. Yeah, sounds real good! I really don't think anyone will ever not judge people by how they look and by age, especially. Some people really dismiss you when you are older but I am very computer literate, I exercise, watch my weight and keep up with the culture. Many seniors don't but I do try to.

message 43: by Karah (last edited Feb 06, 2014 01:33PM) (new)

Karah (kasey9) | 7 comments Why should people (including myself) read these books?

message 44: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Dnicole wrote: ".Oh, and the price is very reasonable too, at least for this first book."

I'm glad you mentioned that - Random House made it a kindle deal, good for all e-formats (Kobo, Nook, iTunes so you can read on your iPad) for January. I'm happy to see the deal is still on, but I don't know when it could disappear. Spread the word.

I already have Starters in both ebook AND hardcopy or I'd buy it again!! ;-D I'm always happy to spread the word of great books ESPECIALLY when they're at such an awesome price. I think that's how we ended up doing a buddy read a couple of weeks ago. Everyone had just bought it! Now we're ready to set up another buddy read of Enders. Can't wait. I really don't want this series to end so would love to see a third book!! I need to get the novellas too.

Can you tell us a little about each novella, Lissa? I just noticed that there are 3 of them, right?

Whoops. Four of them?

message 47: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 166 comments Lissa, How did you come up with the Spore War?

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Lissa wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Thanks for visiting our group, Lissa! I'm really looking forward to reading Starters.

Do you have a Starters or an Enders playlist?"

It's just one song: Lie to Me by Jonny Lang,..."

What a voice! :)

message 49: by Karen’s Library (last edited Feb 06, 2014 08:45PM) (new)

What's next to you (or close by) when you're writing?

message 50: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Price Natalie (Never trust a duck) wrote: "Hello Lissa!!! I can't wait to begin Starters just as soon as the library gets it! Such a pretty cover!!

If you were to write a book with another author, who would it be?"

Shakespeare. :)

« previous 1 3