The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > February Scattergories

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) description

A little Scattergories LOVE for you all!

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.
This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: February 1st to February 28th

Rules
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book you are currently using for points.
Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters K, Q, U, V, X, Y and Z.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) .

General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

February Specials
February is month number two. February 28th is Floral Design Day. Even with it’s extra day February is still the smallest month. February 2nd is Groundhogs Day; groundhogs are an odd little animal. The February flower is the violet and the stone is the amethyst which are both shades of purple. And last but not least February is most known for Valentine’s Day filled with all sorts of romantic things.

7. Something there are two of:
8. Floral:
9. Small:
10. Animal:
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Letter of the month is S.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ...

message 5: by Penni (new)

Penni | 1287 comments Mod
Thanks Dawn!

I'm in.

Letter of the month is S.

General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

February Specials
February is month number two. February 28th is Floral Design Day. Even with it’s extra day February is still the smallest month. February 2nd is Groundhogs Day; groundhogs are an odd little animal. The February flower is the violet and the stone is the amethyst which are both shades of purple. And last but not least February is most known for Valentine’s Day filled with all sorts of romantic things.

8. Floral:
9. Small:
10. Animal:
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

message 6: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Feb 28, 2014 02:54AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments February Scattergories
Letter: S

General
1. Book Title: Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day
2. Author: Sylvia Day~Seven Years to Sin
3. Main Character: Lady Sheffield~Seven Years to Sin
4. Secondary Character:Benedict Reginald Sinclair~Seven Years to Sin
5. Place:Sheffield, UK
6. Cover:Strawberry

February Specials
7. Something there are two of: Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day : A long moment passed in which her gaze remained fixed on the twin sparkles of his eyes. Loc 28.5 (1 point)
8. Floral:Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day : Her slender figure was encased from neck to wrist to ankle in pale floral muslin that clung to her with the breeze. Loc 18 (1 point)
9. Small:Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day : Jessica, Lady Tarley, reached over the small tea table in the Regmont family parlor and gave her sister’s hand a brief squeeze. Loc 39 (2 points)
10. Animal:Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day : He made a low, animal sound as he fell heavily into her palms. Loc 258.4 (1 point)
11. Purple:Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day : She wore a high-necked gown to hide the evidence of Alistair’s bite, the soft grayish-purple hue of the silk a reminder of her widowhood. Loc 283.7 (3 points)
12. Romantic:Seven Years To Sin~Sylvia Day : The sooner he could take the steps required to shut the rest of the world out of his romantic concerns 409.7(3 points)

Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day 10.02.14 ****
Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers, #1) by Tara Sivec 15.02.14 ****

message 7: by Jan (last edited Feb 07, 2014 09:11AM) (new)

Jan Count Me In...

February Scattergories: Letter: S
General
1. Book Title: The School of Essential Ingredients (1)
2. Author: Anatolian Days and Nights: A Love Affair with Turkey, Land of Dervishes, Goddesses, and Saints by Joy Stocke (1)
3. Main Character: Sophronia from Curtsies & Conspiracies 2/2/14 (1)
4. Secondary Character: Sawyer from The Girl Who Chased the Moon 2/3/14 (1)
5. Place: South Africa - The Elephant Whisperer 2/4/14 (1)
6. Cover: Stars from The Girl Who Chased The Moon 2/3/14 (1)

February Specials
7. Something there are two of: The Frog Prince Loc 665 "two forks" (1)
8. Floral: The Frog Prince Loc 6567 "but the softer, floral smell of a woman’s perfume. (2)
9. Small: The Frog Prince Loc 4706 “crosses the space of the small gallery and stop just inside the oval salon.” (4)
10. Animal: A Crimson Warning Loc 3206 “a small statue of an animalsome sort of leopard.” 2/6/14 (4)
11. Purple: The Frog Prince Loc 1050 “a huge purple banner stretched over the roadway, stretched from the street lamps.” (3)
12. Romantic: The Frog Prince Loc 1760 “say something else romantic” (2)

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister Anatolian Days and Nights A Love Affair with Turkey, Land of Dervishes, Goddesses, and Saints by Joy Stocke Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2) by Gail Carriger The Girl Who Chased The Moon by Sarah Addison Allen The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony The Frog Prince by Elle Lothlorien A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6) by Tasha Alexander

message 8: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 01, 2014 07:09AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2647 comments I'm in.

Letter = S

21 POINTS

General
1. Book Title: Steel's Edge - Ilona Andrews 2/25 (1 POINT)
2. Author: Susan Sizemore - Dark Stranger 2/5 (2 POINTS)
3. Main Character: Sam Sinclair - The Man Must Marry - Janet Chapman 2/9 (2 POINTS)
4. Secondary Character: Shep - You're Next - Gregg Hurwitz (1 POINT)
5. Place: Scotland - Highlander Most Wanted - Maya Banks 2/7 (1 POINT)
6. Cover: skin - Dark Stranger - Susan Sizemore 2/5 (1 POINT)

February Specials:
7. Something there are two of: Dark Stranger - Susan Sizemore 2/5
(a husband, two wives and several children) p107 (1 POINT)
8. Floral: Highlander Most Wanted - Maya Banks 2/7
(andyet now it bloomed, like the first blossom of spring, spreading it's petals to seek the sun) p61 (4 POINTS)
9. Small: Highlander Most Wanted - Maya Banks 2/7
(stripping of of her clothes, she went to the basin) p113 (2 POINTS)
10. Animal: Highlander Most Wanted - Maya Banks 2/7
(there wasn't a single person or animal that she could see in any direction) p55 (2 POINTS)
11. Purple: Untold - Sarah Rees Brennan 2/13
(short skirt riding up her purple tights, as she put her boots back on) p16 (3 POINTS)
12. Romantic: Highlander Most Wanted - Maya Banks 2/7
(a kiss was something wonderful, romantic. something exchanged by two lovers) p1581 (1 POINT)
Dark Stranger (Primes, #8) by Susan Sizemore The Man Must Marry (Sinclair Brothers, #1) by Janet Chapman Highlander Most Wanted (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #2) by Maya Banks Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2) by Sarah Rees Brennan Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4) by Ilona Andrews You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz

CHALLENGE COMPLETE

message 9: by Audrey (last edited Feb 11, 2014 12:29PM) (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) February Scattergories Challenge
Duration: February 1 - February 28, 2014

The Lost Challenges

General
1. Book Title: A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle 02/11/2014 **** (2 pts)
2. Author: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion 02/01/2014 ****
3. Main Character: Susan (one of the 4 children) in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis 02/03/2014 *****
4. Secondary Character: Daphne Speldewind in The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion 02/01/2014 ****
5. Place: Shepparton, Australia (P. 177) in The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion 02/01/2014 ****
6. Cover: A Sailboat and Seagulls on the cover of The Librarian's Book of Quotes by Tatyana Eckstrand 02/09/2014 *** (2pts)

February Specials

7. Something there are two of: page 26 of The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. "she can get back," said Uncle Andrew, "if someone else will go after her, wearing a yellow ring himself and taking two green rings."(3 pts)
8. Floral: page 66 of A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. "So the bud blossomed into a FLOWER, and the year which saw her father the richest of the farmers left her as fair a specimen of American girlhood as could be found in the whole Pacific slope."(4 pts)
9. Small: page 22 of A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. "A small garden sprinkled over with a scattered eruption of sickly plants separated each of these houses from the street..."(6pts)
10. Animal: Page 135 of The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. "Then all the animals looked and saw Uncle Andrew, standing very still among the rhododendrons and hoping he wouldn't be noticed." (3 pts)
11. Purple: Page 51 of The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. Their robes were of crimson and silvery gray and deep purple and vivid green." (1 pt)
12. Romantic: page 229 of The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. "I've seen several Romantic movies." (2 pts)

message 10: by Missyb (last edited Feb 09, 2014 06:53PM) (new)

Missyb | 127 comments 1. Book Title: Switched
2. Author: Sienna Mercer
3. Main Character: Elena Sanchez (Rescuing their virgin mate, 1 pt)
4. Secondary Character: Sophia (Switched)
5. Place: Seattle (Dying Bites)
6. Cover: statue (Dying Bites)
7. Something there are two of: I pointed the gun at Couch, but if I shot him, his two henchmen would have shot me (p. 131, Training Their Mate, 2 pts)
8. Floral: The scenery shifted as we watched, to reveal a spring meadow full of wildflowers and sunshine (p.60, Releasing The Dragon, 4 pts)
9. Small: Is she had Trax's address, she'd send him a card or a small gift for saving her life (p.22, Training Their Mate, 5 pts)
10. Animal: While she didn't know what parts of the lore were true and which weren't, she guessed that if Couch were part animal, he'd have a keener sense of smell (p.28, Training Their Mate, 4 pts)
11. Purple: He pressed his thumb to the sensor and the door opened, and instead of the usual red lights they were now a pretty purple (p.135, Training Their Mate, 1pt)
12. Romantic: Doing something together would be more romantic (p.249, Claiming Their Mate, 1 pt)
Pack Wars Boxed Set (Pack Wars series) by Vella Day Rescuing Their Virgin Mate (Pack Wars, #3) by Vella Day Switched (My Sister the Vampire, #1) by Sienna Mercer Claiming Their Mate (Pack Wars, #2) by Vella Day Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1) by D.D. Barant Training Their Mate (Pack Wars, #1) by Vella Day Releasing the Dragon (Myths and Legends #1) by Stacie Simpson

message 11: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) This finally showed up in my updates!

Duration: 2/1/14 - 2/28/14

Letter = S POINTS:

General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

February Specials:
8. Floral:
9. Small:
10. Animal:
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

message 12: by Turtlefrog (last edited Feb 17, 2014 04:42PM) (new)

Turtlefrog General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character: Shelby Fallen in Love 1 point
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover: Sunglasses Better Off Dead by Eva Sloan 1 point

February Specials

7. Something there are two of: The two agents moved in forcing Lucy and Jeff back to the opposite wall. Better Off Dead Kindle location 130 1 point
8. Floral: Something soft, floral...and absolutely unmistakable. Fallen in Love page 193 3 points
9. Small: But I'm the smallest girl on the team. Better Off Dead Kindle location 50 1 point
10. Animal:
11. Purple: Already desire is unfurling inside me again, like a bright purple streamer. Allure: A Spiral of Bliss Novel page 44 2 point
12. Romantic: He had to admire how she'd effortlessly organized some tidbits about him into an actual romantic scenario. Better Off Dead Kindle location 2197 2 points

Better Off Dead by Eva Sloan 2/8/14 Allure A Spiral of Bliss Novel (Book Two) by Nina Lane 2/15/14 Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5) by Lauren Kate 2/17/14
Total Points 11

message 13: by Suzanne (last edited Feb 24, 2014 01:48PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1670 comments The Lost Challenges
February Scattergories
Duration:
2/1/2014 - 2/28/2014

Progress: 12 out of 12

Letter = S

General
1. Book Title:
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher - ***** - 2/13/2014
2. Author: Devil of the Highlands by Lynsay Sands - *** - 2/11/2014
3. Main Character: Gaby Summerhill: The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson - *** - 2/14/2014
4. Secondary Character: Sohrab: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - **** - 2/10/2014
5. Place: Seattle, Washington: Fly Away by Kristin Hannah - **** - 2/7/2014
6. Cover: Scottish Hottie: Devil of the Highlands by Lynsay Sands - *** - 2/11/2014

February Specials

7. Something there are two of: "There were leather pants draped on chairs; two sets of boots were on the floor;" Page 16
Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward - **** - 2/3/2014
8. Floral: "Oh, and he said no floral designs." Page 264
It's All Greek to Me by Katie MacAlister - **** - 2/23/2014
9. Small: "I should like to point out, however, that that is but a small sampling of the very many we have killed." Page 305
10. Animal: "There were salt licks down there for the animals." Page 184
11. Purple: "I see now that her eyebrow is pierced and her hair is streaked with purple." Page 223
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - **** - 2/10/2014
12. Romantic: "I thought they would go well with her red hair, and I wanted to do something over-the-top and romantic just to prove I could." Page 504

Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward Fly Away by Kristin Hannah The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1) by Lynsay Sands Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson It's All Greek to Me by Katie MacAlister

message 14: by Kaity (last edited Feb 09, 2014 01:07PM) (new)

Kaity Finished! :) I think I've done this correctly, this was my first try.
12/12 Completed
16 pts total

1. Book Title: Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones (Feb 2 - Second Grave on the Left) (1)
2. Author: Sweet Talk by Susan Mallery (Feb 2 - Susan Mallery) (1)
3. Main Character: The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen (Feb 6 - Micha Scott) (1)
4. Secondary Character: Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper (Feb 8 - Sophie) (1)
5. Place: Sweet Talk by Susan Mallery (Feb 2 - Seattle, Washington) (1)
6. Cover: Dark Prince by Christine Feehan (Feb 5 - Statues) (1)
7. Something there are two of: "...taking on a cop husband with two small children." (loc. 1803) Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones (Feb 2) (1)
8. Floral: "...the comforter a floral fabric of various shades of purple." (loc. 1339) Sweet Talk by Susan Mallery (Feb 2) (1)
9. Small: "The small rodent scurried easily through the leaves on the ground to cross the open space to the shack." (loc. 2332) Dark Prince by Christine Feehan (Feb 5) (3)
10. Animal: "I bounded through the trees, sensing animals stop and watch me as I sprinted by." (loc. 495) Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper (Feb 8) (3)
11. Purple: "She was wearing a purple sweater..." (loc. 3182) Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones (Feb 2) (1)
12. Romantic: "The romantic theory seems to be that..." (loc. 1550) Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper (Feb 8) (1)

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones Sweet Talk (Bakery Sisters #1) by Susan Mallery The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1) by Jessica Sorensen Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Dark Prince (Dark, #1) by Christine Feehan

message 15: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Wooo hoo, done. 23 points. Glad to be on a role again, instead of not getting all the categories like I had for 2 or 3 months.

Turtlecollector Dennis Finished.

Timeframe: February 2014

1. Title: Secrets of a Summer Night
2. Author: Nalini Singh
3. Main Char: Simon Hunt (book 4)
4. Secondary Char: Smoky (book 3)
5. Place: Stony Cross Park (book 4)
6. Cover: skates (book 1)
7. Two of: "...two schillings to rub together..." (pg 303 book 4)
8. Floral: "Flower stems were trampled and broken..." (pg 105 book 4)
9. Small: "Am returning the shoes, however, as they are far too small.: (pg 50 book 4)
10. Animal: "I've been bitten by a snake?" (pg 156 book 4)
11. Purple: "...striking blue eyes with and edge of purple///" (pg 314 book 2)
12. Romantic: "...no matter how romantic the setting..." (pg 77 book 4)

Books read:
1. Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3) by Jaci Burton by Jaci Burton 2/9/14 4♥
2. Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini Singh by Nalini Singh 2/12/14 4♥
3. Changeling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #2) by Yasmine Galenorn by Yasmine Galenorn 2/16/14 3♥
4. Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas by Lisa Kleypas 2/16/14 3.5♥

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan Finished....

February Scattergories

General
1. Book Title: The School of Essential Ingredients 2/17/14 (1)
2. Author: Anatolian Days and Nights: A Love Affair with Turkey, Land of Dervishes, Goddesses, and Saints by Joy Stocke 2/23/14 (1)
3. Main Character: Sophronia from Curtsies & Conspiracies 2/2/14 (1)
4. Secondary Character: Sawyer from The Girl Who Chased the Moon 2/3/14 (1)
5. Place: South Africa - The Elephant Whisperer 2/4/14 (1)
6. Cover: Stars from The Girl Who Chased The Moon 2/3/14 (1)

February Specials
7. Something there are two of: The Frog Prince Loc 665 "two forks" 2/8/14 (1)
8. Floral: The Frog Prince Loc 6567 "but the softer, floral smell of a woman’s perfume. 2/8/14 (2)
9. Small: The Frog Prince Loc 4706 “crosses the space of the small gallery and stop just inside the oval salon.” 2/8/14 (4)
10. Animal: A Crimson Warning Loc 3206 “a small statue of an animalsome sort of leopard.” 2/6/14 (4)
11. Purple: The Frog Prince Loc 1050 “a huge purple banner stretched over the roadway, stretched from the street lamps.” 2/8/14 (3)
12. Romantic: The Frog Prince Loc 1760 “say something else romantic” 2/8/14 (2)

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister Anatolian Days and Nights A Love Affair with Turkey, Land of Dervishes, Goddesses, and Saints by Joy Stocke Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2) by Gail Carriger The Girl Who Chased The Moon by Sarah Addison Allen The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony The Frog Prince by Elle Lothlorien A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6) by Tasha Alexander

message 18: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Duration: 2/1/14 - 2/28/14

Letter = S POINTS: 13

General
1. Book Title:Summer Knight2/10/14 4 ★1 POINT
2. Author:(Shona Husk)The Goblin King2/16/14 4★ 1 POINT
3.Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:(Nina Sheridan)Sweet Dreams2/28/14 4.5★1 POINT
5. Place:(Seattle, Washington)Firefly Lane
6. Cover: (Sea gulls)River Road2/15/14 4★ 1 POINT

February Specials:
7. Something there are two of:" ... two hours later, I could still smell the burned cookies ..." p.152Better Off Dead In Deadwood2/21/14 4★ 2 POINTS
8. Floral:"...thick with the scent of roses ..."p.176Winterblaze2/23/14 4.5★ 1 POINT
9. Small:"...two smaller wolves, still slowly stalking forward toward them." p.59 Rescue My Heart2/8/14 5 ★3 POINTS
10. Animal:"Grace nudged the sleepy Tank down, earning a reproachful look, and a sleepy snort." p. 129Forever and a Day2/25/14 4★3 POINTS
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3) by Jill Shalvis Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher River Road by Jayne Ann Krentz The Goblin King (Shadowlands, #1) by Shona Husk Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) by Kristen Callihan Better Off Dead In Deadwood (Deadwood Mystery # 4) by Ann Charles Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6) by Jill Shalvis Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain, #2) by Kristen Ashley