What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy. Teenage girl lives on island with the ability to call dolphins to her. She's an outcast, but saves island from a tidal wave. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirby (last edited Jul 05, 2009 02:14PM) (new)

Kirby Bezan | 13 comments From what I remember about the book, the main character is female. Her people are kind of tribal and don't get along with the fisher folk of the island. The women of her tribe have the ability to call dolphins to them. The main character's ability to call dolphins is so strong she can actually talk to them, and her best friend is a dolphin. For some reason (I think she refused to marry the man she was betrothed to or she refused to call dolphins to her so they could be killed), she is outcasted from her people. She goes to live on her own and learns more about the fisher folk who share the island. She falls in love with one of the fishermen.

Strange things start happening on the island (I forget what), but the main character realises that these signs mean a tidal wave will come upon the island and destroy everything. She tries to get her tribal people and the fisher folk to work together to evacuate the island. In the end, everyone gets off (except one of the fisher friends the main character made), and everyone goes back to the island to work together and rebuild the towns.

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Jul 06, 2009 06:45AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments It's not Island of the Blue Dolphins is it?

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) Or Dolphin Song?

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 7 comments I don't remember al the details of the story, but I am wondering about Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffrey which has genetically enhanced dolphins who a girl learned to communicate with and they saved the populace from something. It is part of the Pern series.

There is also her The Dolphins' Bell in the same series.

message 5: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Strandia by Susan L Reynolds Strandia by Susan L. Reynolds., 1991

Summary: Punished for fleeing her duties as a member of Strandia's privileged class, Sand is rescued by her dolphin friend M'ridan and learns of a disaster threatening her homeland.

message 6: by Kinsey (new)

Kinsey Swartz (tvindy) | 131 comments I bet April Ann is right about it being Strandia. Here's a longer description from Amazon:

Sand, a privileged upper-class girl on the mythic island of Strandia, is gifted with the ability to telepathically summon dolphins and compel them to fish for her family. When Sand refuses to go along with an arranged marriage, she sets in motion a series of personal and social crises that come to a head just as her home is threatened by natural catastrophe.

message 7: by Kirby (new)

Kirby Bezan | 13 comments April Ann wrote: "Strandia by Susan L Reynolds Strandia by Susan L. Reynolds., 1991

Summary: Punished for fleeing her duties as a member of Strandia's privileged class, Sand is rescued by her dolph..."

Yes, this is totally it, thank you!

message 8: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments You're welcome!!