Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > February's Book of the Month-Kiss Me While I Sleep

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Efficient and unapologetic, Lily Mansfield is a hired assassin working as a contract agent for the CIA. Her targets are the powerful and corrupt, those who can't be touched by the law. Now Lily is playing a deadly, unauthorized game, seekings her own vengeance, compromising her superiors and endangering her life. Fellow CIA agent Lucas Swain's orders: either bring her in or bring her down. Yet he too is drawn into the game with Lily Mansfield, dancing on a tightrope, trying to avoid a major international incident while battling a tenacious foe doging their every step. Vigilantly watching her back, Lily doesn't see the lethal peril directly in her path... or that loyalty has a price.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am looking forward to rereading this book, and I am really looking forward to your comments. If you can't start out the month reading it, remember you do have all month.

message 3: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I have to rebuy it since my books are not with me.The ending of this book hit me like a ton of bricks,every time I read I get prepared with the Kleenex box.What she asked him and the one word answer are burned into my brain.

message 4: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I'm going to enjoy re-reading KMWIS.
The ending of this book...so emotional and dramatic.
LH definitely knows how to build this kind of tense scenes that readers cannot put the book down.

message 5: by Dee (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:41AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I was so unprepared for the ending of the book. It is one of my favorites, especially because of the ending. I am in the middle of another book, so I will be starting it as soon as I finish, probably tomorrow or the next definitely.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice Davidson (jsdavidson883jan) | 10 comments Hi, my name is Jan & I just joined your little discussion group. KMWIS is definitely a re-read book. You laugh, you cry ..... have a box of kleenex handy. I love all of LH books. This book is probably my #2 favorite book.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Hi Jan, Welcome to our discussion group. This is also a favorite of mine. Right now I am in the middle of it and Swain has just rescued Lily. Lily, says she made a mistake from letting Swain walk away, because it gave him time to establish who he is. I would think that would have been established when he went in. I would imagine Frank Vinay knew how Swain worked so just in case he would establish some kind of background.

What about the word "terminate?" Why do you think that was in her file, since that was not the intent?

message 8: by Janice (new)

Janice Davidson (jsdavidson883jan) | 10 comments I think initially he was going to follow orders. But when Swain became emotionally involved with Lilly and aware of "why" she was determined to do what she planned to do, he changed tactics.
. Without giving the story away to those who have not read the book, it has an emotional twist at the end. Have a box of Kleenex ready. You will curse him, cry and then say ........ a few other things. Can't give it up.
Since I am new, has " Open Season " been chosen for book of the month yet. It's my all time favorite LH book !

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments To answer your question Jan, the last time we read Open Season was in April of 2013. In order to keep our members interested and to keep reading LH's 50+ books we can only read the same book after a full year has gone. I am always open for buddy reads though. So everyone knows what I am talking about when two or more people read the same book and discuss it. Similar to the BOM, but it is done with less members.

I think I found a big discrepancy in KMWIS, I don't think Lily ever told Lucas Swain her name. Can anyone find it? I know Swain knows it, but she doesn't know he does. Again can anyone find it?

message 10: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I`d like to ask you all a question too.Is,
'all I need is to breathe in this book".I remember it as being really funny,what ever was happening.
I know this book quite well so I decided not to buy it but review it by reading all of your reviews.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments I am in the middle of the book where Swain saves her in the park. I think this was never really a termination mission. Why would the CIA send Swain, a CIA employee, instead of another contract killer? I think Frank Vinay knew there was a mole and exactly why Lili killed Salvatore and he suspects what is going on in that lab. The termination was to throw misinformation out.

message 12: by Eve (last edited Feb 09, 2014 10:43PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Swain: "Damn Frenchmen kiss everything they can. There's no telling where his lips have been".
Swain during the picking out a car:
"We're born with a stick shift, and its our favorite toy from the time our arms are long enough to reach it". and saying about a car "See? It's a soprano. There's no testosterone here".

message 13: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments When I read this book then sometimes I had a feeling that Linda Howard's editor was on holiday and Linda stayed up too late to make a deadline.

1) I think that the book was full of filler, consisting of too much time spent within the characters' minds (having them think about and imagine things that could have happened or might happen in the future; too many ifs, thens and what ifs; too much presupposing and surmising). There was too much telling rather than showing. So editor, did you get too lazy???

2) Swain had a vasectomy. Well, would he try to have the vasectomy reversed? Lily obviously loves children, she's still young enough, so does she want any kids of their own?

These are just some of the things that left me... puzzled, I guess. And methinks that the ending was too rushed...

message 14: by Eve (last edited Feb 09, 2014 11:08PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Janice wrote: "Since I am new, has " Open Season " been chosen for book of the month yet. It's my all time favorite LH book ! "

I also LOVE Open Season. Have you already read MR. PEFECT and DREAM MAN? These are also great books by LH!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "When I read this book then sometimes I had a feeling that Linda Howard's editor was on holiday and Linda stayed up too late to make a deadline.

1) I think that the book was full of filler, consis..."

I agree there are a lot of filler, but I would think that happened because they were in the middle of waiting for answers. These answers weren't coming from the usual source. In essence, it was hear what a mystery man had to say, and because they didn't trust said mystery man they had to talk about it and make decisions to somewhat limit the danger. There was a lot of down time in between these contacts.

At this point a vasectomy reversal would be premature. He knows he is sent to bring her back to Langley and thus betraying her. I don't know about you, but my initial reaction would not be wanting to create a baby under those circumstances.

message 16: by Eve (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:50AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I totally agree that at this point a vasectomy reversal and making a baby would be totally premature but the ending was a little too abrupt - she rushed into his arms and...that was all, no more explanations, no future plans. I'm asking this because Lily was very traumatized by Zia's sudden death and she wanted revenge but does this mean that they do not want any kids of their own in the future?

message 17: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments Eve wrote: "Swain: "Damn Frenchmen kiss everything they can. There's no telling where his lips have been".
"We're born with a stick shift, and its our favorite toy from the ..."

That was one of the funniest scenes in the book. I got kicked out of bed for laughing so hard at the entire Fiat rental scene.

message 18: by Dee (last edited Feb 10, 2014 08:47PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "I totally agree that at this point a vasectomy reversal and making a baby would be totally premature but the ending was a little too abrupt - she rushed into his arms and...that was all, no more ex..."

Much of LH books let you fill in the ending. Like this one, I would like to think that they do get married. In my mind, I would like to think that they find another baby, much like Zia was, and they adopt her/him/them. Otherwise I would like to see a reversal and have them have their own baby.

message 19: by Dee (last edited Feb 10, 2014 09:04PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Anita wrote: "Eve wrote: "Swain: "Damn Frenchmen kiss everything they can. There's no telling where his lips have been".
"We're born with a stick shift, and its our favorite t..."

That one was such a hoot. I loved it. I also liked when they were buying the explosives:

"Monsieur." The voice was Lily's, so quiet that only he and Benard could hear it. "Look down."

He froze at the intrusion of that unexpected voice. He glanced down, but couldn't see anything; the headlights prevented it.

"You can't see me, can you?" Lily's voice so low that he hadn't know she was a woman, Swain would have been able to tell. "But I can see you. At this angle, I am afraid that my best shot is your testicles. The bullet would angle upward, of course, tear out your bladder and colon, part of your intestines. You might live, but the question is, would you want to?"

I loved that scene. I love it when a woman gets the best of a "bad guy."

I also loved it later when they are trying to get away from Bernard and the rest and he snickers.
Lily asks, "What's so funny?"
"If I'd still been driving the sewing machine, we'd have never made it."

message 20: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Thank you Dee for reminding this scene with the explosives. It was sooo funny :)
"Driving the sewing machine". He-he-he, I'm sure that owners of Fiat cars were either grimacing or busily nodding their heads while reading this scene.

Linda Howard definitely knows how to add funny and memorable scenes to her books and it gives us a reason to re-read her books.
I'm really looking forward to her new books. But so far no info whether she's working on something or not?

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Not as far as I can tell. Since she doesn't have a web site and I have looked at her publishers, but no word yet.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments In the 1980's I owned a little Fiat Spyder convertible that I just loved. I know their Fiat was not a classy as mine, but it brought back many fond memories.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I know they are great cars, but I loved the debate about driving a sewing machine. I just rolled on the floor.

message 24: by Anita (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:21AM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments Dee wrote: "I know they are great cars, but I loved the debate about driving a sewing machine. I just rolled on the floor."

But, they do get good gas mileage and park in tight places. Having been to Paris twice, I love all the references to where they were. The Jardine du Palais Royal is a beautiful garden and I remember sitting on that fountain.

message 25: by Dee (last edited Feb 12, 2014 09:27PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments A friend of mine just honeymooned in Paris. He told me that the Jardine du Palais Royal was one of his favorite places. He said that Paris is his favorite place in the whole world.

Unfortunately, I have only been to the Caribbean, but that was a LOT OF FUN.