The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) The Screaming Staircase discussion

I love this book!!!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

AgCl the first time i started reading it, i was a little skeptical so i put it down. The next time i picked it up i got hooked i just love the characters and the whole eerie feel.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Agreed! It was fantastic. I tried it after it was mentioned in a conversation and it turned out to be wonderful. Jonathan Stroud writes very well ;).

Cas ❦ it was fantastic, especially near the middle when lucy is in the haunted house.

Rachel Jackson I loved it!! The ending scenes are my favourite. The red room and the screaming staircase. I love Lockwood I think he's awesome.

AgCl and i'm really excited about the sequel!!!... i wonder who's death the ghost in the jar was referring to?

Grim I agree a brilliant book - but come on if a dead skull in a jar tries to give you warnings and an explanation as too whats going on, seriously you would hear it out wouldn't you?

message 7: by AgCl (last edited Feb 10, 2014 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AgCl Grimnir wrote: "I agree a brilliant book - but come on if a dead skull in a jar tries to give you warnings and an explanation as too whats going on, seriously you would hear it out wouldn't you?"

yeah, but its Lucy and she's got a weird kind of logic.

Keith I loved this too. Gave it 5 stars. So different. Well written, great voice. Like the characters. Just fun all round.

Cats Read Manga, Too I love Jonathan Stroud's writing style! A lot of debut authors are newbies at writing so I was pleasantly surprised when I read this novel. For some reason, I didn't have much feelings towards Lucy. I didn't hate her nor did I like her. I did like the creepy atmosphere.

Kamiko I was skeptical when I saw it at first, but then I decided to pick it up and read, I'm so glad I did. It was amazing!

Keith Reading book two now. So far, it's as good as the first one!

Keith Nonsensical wrote: "I love Jonathan Stroud's writing style! A lot of debut authors are newbies at writing so I was pleasantly surprised when I read this novel. For some reason, I didn't have much feelings towards Lucy..."

This isn't his debut novel, but I agree with you.

Cats Read Manga, Too Keith wrote: "Nonsensical wrote: "I love Jonathan Stroud's writing style! A lot of debut authors are newbies at writing so I was pleasantly surprised when I read this novel. For some reason, I didn't have much f..."

Yes, I know. I should've been more clear that I meant that it's a relief to read someone who can clearly write after reading so many mediocre debut writers.

Keith Gotcha.

message 15: by AgCl (new) - rated it 3 stars

AgCl Keith wrote: "Reading book two now. So far, it's as good as the first one!"

oh, i'm jealous...

Karen Jealous, too. Can't wait for September

message 17: by Channah (last edited Aug 12, 2014 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Channah I don't really like ghost books, but it was fun, although utterly predictable. It lost major points for George (I cannot stand the sort of stereotype his character represents. Being overweight does not make you a coward obsessed with food).

Anyone else notice that the jar ghost sounded exactly like Bartimaeus? Makes me wonder....

Manuela Menna I read it and I like it

Mohammad Haekal Its style is so Jonathan Stroud. Reminds me of Bartimaeus Trilogy with the details of the world described so vividly.

Can't wait to read the second book