UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2013-15 > February 2014: Romance/Erotica

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Ok, so February's thread is finally ready to post your ideas and suggestions for good reads in Romance and Erotica...

If anyone is considering reading Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer, can I urge you not to ;)
I read it last time around for erotica and I disliked it intensely! (Other opinions are available......)

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments Iam reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand as a nice comfy romantic book. This is about as much romance as I can manage I'm afraid so instead of reading more than one book in our challenge genre, this month I'll be moving on yo a nice crime novel!

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments Why are mobile spell checkers so bad? Who really wants to use the word "yo" for goodness sake. I meant "to"!

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments In anticipation I started Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín last night, so far enjoying but no romance yet. I will avoid Henry Miller, but hope to read A Sport And A Pastime by James Salter as well.

message 5: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
I've just ordered The English Patient from the library. It's been on my to read list since the film came out, (how many years ago is that?) Who says romance can't be literary too?

If I get through that with time to spare, I might try Gone with the Wind, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for another brick just yet!

Finally, I'm still curious about the whole Henry Miller/Anais Nin connection, so there's always Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin, anyone read it?

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell Henry and June From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1931-1932) by Anaïs Nin

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments I've read some Anais Nin and it would definitely be classed as erotica. didn't realise there was a connection between her and Henry Miller.

message 7: by Robyn (new)

Robyn I've read most of Nin's diaries but not that specific book, Liz. I found her life and writing fascinating (and, I have to admit, very occasionally boring, as she basically wrote *everything* down).

I have a book by Jennifer Weiner that I might read, since she's been grabbing so many headlines lately. (I read In Her Shoes and enjoyed it many moons ago.) However, I'm not entirely sure it's a romance, come to think of it ...

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Isn't there a film of henry and June? As opposed to terry and June!

message 9: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "Isn't there a film of henry and June? As opposed to terry and June!"

Lol! 'Terry and June', now that's about as far from erotic as you could probably get!

(Yes, I never saw the film, but I think Richard E Grant was in it...)

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 374 comments I think I might give My Dear I Wanted to Tell You a try

message 11: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 265 comments Andrew wrote: "Isn't there a film of henry and June? As opposed to terry and June!"

Terry and June - that is wrong in so many ways....

message 12: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
A.L. wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Isn't there a film of henry and June? As opposed to terry and June!"

Terry and June - that is wrong in so many ways...."

I haven't stopped laughing - Nooooooo!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan I'm going to re visit some of Shakespeare's Sonnets, and read some of Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

message 14: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Danielle wrote: "I think I might give My Dear I Wanted to Tell You a try"

I enjoyed that one.

message 15: by Ian, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:23AM) (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "Isn't there a film of henry and June? As opposed to terry and June!"

Lol, lol and thrice more lol.......but don't forget that June Whitfield was in the erotic classic Carry On Nurse.....ooooooo Matron.

Now having failed miserably last month with Magic Realism, will try harder with romance/erotica.....and btw Liz, I read Delta of Venus by Anaïs Nin last time and it was pants.

message 16: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Danielle wrote: "I think I might give My Dear I Wanted to Tell You a try"

I loved it.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments A Taste of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington

A Taste of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington...historical fiction - vampires - love story....that should fit this challenge nicely.

message 18: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
I'm reading Waiting by Ha Jin which is supposed to be a sort of Romeo & Juliet in China but isn't that great so far. Think I'll pick a second book for this challenge...

message 19: by Mel (new)

Mel (mehy) | 15 comments I was thinking of Jane Eyre. This genre will take me out of my comfort zone. Romance I will attempt...erotica may be beyond me.

message 20: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Thanks for the tip, Ian, I'll give that one a miss.
Mel, 'Jane Eyre' is definitely in - and the comfort zone is there to be stretched ;) I find there's always a book (& it might be only one!) that fits the particular genre, but reflects my own interests. Although I know I'm going to have trouble when we finally get to poetry....

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 374 comments Nicola wrote: "Iam reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand as a nice comfy romantic book. This is about as much romance as I can manage I'm afraid so instead of reading more than one book in our chall..."

I had a look at it. Seems interesting.

message 22: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Think my choice will be The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker by Jan-Philipp Sendker. Tagged as romance by many so will give it a go.

message 23: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I can't quite make up my mind... I've a Black Dagger Brotherhood book Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward Lover at Last not worthy but definitely fun to read.

I'm not in the mood for chick-lit so I'm thinking maybe re-visit some Jane Austen or else find something edgy/quirky and somewhat romantic... The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick The Silver Linings Playbook would have fit the bill, shame I've already read that one.

message 24: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 112 comments No idea where to start with this one. I tried to read Bared to You for a bit of erotica but gave up bored before they got as far as any sex! I have The Princess Bride but not sure if I'm in the mood.

message 25: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments i finished Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín which was a gentle romance with a difficult dilemna at the end. One of my reading group books for Feb is Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty which might fit the bill for this month as it combined 100 pages of a married woman going off on a sexual relationship with a stranger but then develops into a crime/courtroom drama. I enjoyed it even if it was a bit unbelievable in parts but courtroom drama was exciting!!

message 26: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Can't resist recommending this to my fellow mod Em.... Love 'em or Leave 'em by Angie Stanton .

message 27: by Bill (last edited Feb 07, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Bill | 2734 comments I'm reading Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence for the Feb challenge. I have intended to read this a couple of times; for last year's Erotic/ Romance challenge and also as a Reading Group challenge, but it's managed to hide away on my book shelf.. Well, NOT this Time!!! ;0)

message 28: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Ian wrote: "Can't resist recommending this to my fellow mod Em....Love 'em or Leave 'em by Angie Stanton."

Looks suitably trashy, is this your selection for the month Iain?? It's probably more fun that Delta of Venus or Tropic of Cancer!

I'm going for the paranormal romance - Lover at Last and Sense and Sensibility (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen Sense and Sensibility.

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Read Djinn, supposed to be paranormal romance. There was some unrequited yearning. Reading Gatsby soon, that has some romance.

message 30: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Leave 'em Em.

message 31: by Robyn (new)

Robyn I'm reading Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner, as I thought I might somewhere above. So far, so good -- I like any book that features a substantial amount of cooking/food, and one of the main characters is a chef. It does seem to be all about babies, though, and since I've none of my own that aren't feline, I'm feeling a bit disconnected!

message 32: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Finally got going on The English Patient - beautiful writing...

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments A Taste of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington
A Taste of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington

So much literary gothic wonderfulness! If you're looking for an intelligent vampire romance, I highly recommend this.

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I finished A Sport And A Pastime by James Salter and was glad to get to the end. Lots of erotic moments in this story of an American college boys passionate affair with a parisian girl but despite the graphic scenes it was pretty boring and I couldn't care less about the characters. Disappointing as I've heard a lot about Salter as the great American classic writer of the last 50 years and was looking forward to this book. I'd be interested if anyone else has read it or any other Salter. I don't know if I will get anymore Romance in this month although I did pick up Crash by J.G. Ballard
on offer in Fop the other week which I had hoped to squeeze in to Feb, I will try and have a go but already got books stacked up waiting to start before that!!

message 35: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 112 comments I read The Angel's Assassinwhich had romance and a bit of sex. Meh - not my thing but at least the maiden who needed saving wasn't a complete drip.

message 36: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Almost at the end of 'The English Patient'. I wish it was longer - I've been totally engrossed. Beautiful language, interesting characters, great setting....

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2734 comments Liz wrote: "Almost at the end of 'The English Patient'. I wish it was longer - I've been totally engrossed. Beautiful language, interesting characters, great setting...."

I've never thought of trying, Liz or of even watching the movie. Strange, because I've read others of Michael Ondaatje's stories and quite enjoyed. I may have to break down and try it.

message 38: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
I stopped by the Library today and picked up a handful of Mills & Boon. Flying through The Call of the Desert so that should tick the romance box after Waiting turned out to be a non-event!

message 39: by Kiwi Sarah (new)

Kiwi Sarah (mjs13) | 169 comments Finally getting around to the challenge for this month and as I am on holiday in Northumberland I am indulging myself and re reading a very old favourite from my teenage years set in this area and having fun trying to find the locations it's set - The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart.

While some of the language is dated I enjoy her writing and the gentle romantic suspense storyline.

Also listened to play versions of Love Virtually and Every Second Wave by Daniel Gatteau while driving around so feel that this genre is nicely covered - although I may also have a go at Tear You Apart by Megan Hart - have enjoyed other 'romance' books by her although she's quite hard to categorise.

message 40: by Robyn (new)

Robyn I'm reading Burial Rites, which I have been quite excited about after so many positive comments here! Enjoying it so far.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't had time to get to a library and there was no romance on my bookshelves except for this little one 'Artistic License' by Katie Fforde. A quick read for this genre.

message 42: by Mel (new)

Mel (mehy) | 15 comments I've ended up with Caught up in us by Lauren Blakely. It was free on my kindle. I'm quarter of the way through and it is a cute little read. I'll save Jane Eyre for the summer.

message 43: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Just started The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker . Set in Burma and intriguing so far, though I do wish that authors would stop making characters as for eg high powered NYC lawyers - makes it less believable, not more exciting which I presume is the aim.

message 44: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Having finished the book, I'm just about to settle on the sofa with a G&T (it's that time in the evening, here in Singapore) and the DVD of 'The English Patient'...

message 45: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Jealous or what??

message 46: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments Thought I would go down the path of erotic romance so am going to read Ours to Love (Wicked Lovers, #7) by Shayla Black by Shayla Black. Started with spanking bench in the first paragraph, hell of a way to start my morning coffee with.

message 47: by Jo (new)

Jo Beverley (jobeverley) | 5 comments Coming late to this, even though it's my area. Escaping winter until Feb 11th, then catching up. I do feel most of you haven't really read GENRE romance/erotica. I agree on Mary Stewart. Any of her books.

The UK media doesn't give romance the clarity and importance it deserves as a genre, IMO,but the Romantic Novelists Association has awards.
Here are the winners of the best romantic novel for the past 4 years.
2013: Welcome to Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan (Sphere, Little Brown)
2012: Please Don't Stop The Music by Jane Lovering (Choc Lit)
2011: The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes(Hodder & Stoughton)
2010: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon (Hodder & Stoughton)
The best short romances.
2013: Beneath the Major's Scars by Sarah Mallory (HMB Historical Regency)
2012: The Dangerous Lord Darrington by Sarah Mallory (HMB Historical Regency)
2011: The Piratical Miss Ravenhurst by Louise Allen (Harlequin Historicals)
2010: Animal Instincts by Nell Dixon (Little Black Dress)

I'm published in the US, so the following are US lists, but they should be available on line.
Booklist's top 10 of 2013. Booklist is a top US review publication.
http://www.booklistonline.com/Top-10-...

Here's the Library Journal's top 10.
http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/201...

Cheers,

Jo

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments I am going to count Marriage Material for this although it may be stretching it a bit. Thoroughly enjoyed.

message 49: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms has some steamy scenes, my group read fantasy book. Also read The Great Gatsby which was unrequited!

message 50: by Robyn (new)

Robyn I do feel most of you haven't really read GENRE romance/erotica.

Having read lots of definite genre romance (and I do mean genre - Nora Roberts, Jude Deveraux, Regencies, all that fun stuff) in the past, I have to admit mine probably didn't quite fit despite Jennifer Weiner's usual niche. But while I used to love the formula for great romance, I've gone off it for the time being. I don't know why!

« previous 1