What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Stray
This topic is about The Stray
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Governess/Nanny, Beach Trip, Prawn Sandwich [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (seiren) | 75 comments Somehow I have forgotten everything this book was about, except for the prawn sandwiches.

I know that a governess/nanny takes the children to the beach, where she buys them prawn sandwiches. She doesn't have money, so she trades a family heirloom (perhaps a locket?) to the sandwich seller, until she can repay him.

I assumed for a long time that it was one of Eva Ibbotson's because it's the same age range and britishness, but I can't find it.

It was a chapter book for early readers- probably ages 9-11.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments How many years ago did you read this book? Remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Andria (last edited Feb 05, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
The Stray?

From Kirkus Review: "When Henny runs away from the old-age home (with only a penny to her name), she escapes to the beach and writes "I AM A STRAY OLD WOMAN" in the sand. Discovered by five red-haired children, the Goods, she is take home and "adopted" as their housekeeper-turned-grandmother. Neither toothache nor burglary dampens the spirit and spunk of the good-natured Henny, who introduces the children to prawn-and-mayonnaise sandwiches, grows a money plant, and ultimately wins the lottery."

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (seiren) | 75 comments Yes! Thank you : ) I can't wait to read it again.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stray (other topics)