Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > February 3rd, 2014 - Monday Puzzler

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments "I can’t do this.”

“Do what?”

“This,” she said, waiving helplessly between them.

He frowned. “This what?”

Could he really be that dense? Heroine was just sure he couldn’t, but then again, she wondered about herself sometimes, too. “I can’t do this thing where we pretend that we’re just friends,” she said, through gritted teeth. “Where we pretend that your stupid fiancée doesn’t exist, and where I continue to pretend the fact that you’re engaged to someone else doesn’t bother the hell out of me.”

There, she’d said it. He could do with it what he wanted, but it was out there in the air between them. Foolishly, unadvisedly, hopelessly perhaps, but out there where he could examine it for himself and hopefully fill in the blanks that it wasn’t just driving her crazy, it was breaking what was left of her heart. The craziest thing of all was how hard she’d fallen for him. He was out of her league and she was out of his time. It was the worst case of star-crossed non-lovers she had ever—

“I never lie.”

It took her a moment to have what he’d said register in her poor overworked brain. She blinked. “What did you say?”

“I do not lie,” he said. “Ever.”

“And what in the world does that have to do with any of this?” she asked incredulously.

He shrugged. “I thought you might find it interesting.”

Well, why not? She had spilled her guts, and he was changing the subject. She waved him on because if she’d opened her mouth again, she would have chewed his head off.

“I have,” he continued, “actually prided myself on and made my mother quite happy by never telling a falsehood. But I told one on the night your sister tried to drag me into that full-blown farce of a marriage.”

She wasn’t sure she wanted to know what it was—

“I am not betrothed.”

That took another moment or two to sink in. When it did, she felt her mouth fall open. “What?”

He turned to lean his hip against the stall door. “I am not betrothed.”

“Then why did you say you were?” she asked in surprise.

“Because, apart from the fact that I did not wish to wed your sister, the truth is I love someone else.”

Heroine wasn’t sure what was worse, that he had been fake engaged, or that she’d wasted days and days being jealous of a fiancée who didn’t exist only to now find out that that mousey nonexistent wench didn’t matter because he was in love with yet another girl who wasn’t her.

She shouldn’t have been surprised. If she managed to survive the length of time it took to find that time gate and shove him through it so she didn’t have to look at him any longer and have her heart break with every glance, she was never, ever going to read another fairy tale for as long as she lived. She looked away because she just couldn’t look at him anymore.

“Why aren’t you taking her to [Hero's home]?” she asked, before she thought better of it.

“I’m trying to.”

Heroine could hardly believe her ears. Not only could the lout stand there, bold as brass, and spend all that time with her when what he really wanted to be doing was taking the woman he loved…

Her silent rant slowed to an awkward halt.

Realization started to bloom, tentatively, a bit like a rose that wasn’t quite sure spring had arrived. It took a minute, but what he’d said finally sank in.

He was trying to?

She looked over her shoulder just to be sure, but no, she was the only one in the stable. She looked back at Hero, who was watching her solemnly and a bit hesitantly. She pointed to herself and raised her eyebrows questioningly.

He nodded.

She swallowed, hard. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I just did.”

message 2: by Kritika (new)

Kritika | 40 comments I have read it and loved reading it. But that's all i remember about this book! :(

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
No idea, but it sounds fun!

message 4: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments This one also seems familiar....

message 5: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments Don't think I've read this one, but when I find out what it is I'm going to put it on my list.

message 6: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2064 comments Mod
I don't know either.

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2080 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure I haven't read it

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Awwww!

message 9: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments The answer is One Enchanted Evening by Lynn Kurland. Probably not one many of you have read, but still one of my favorites.

message 10: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2064 comments Mod
Oh, gosh, I have read this one! I like LK, too :)

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments Ditto! I have read most of Lynn Kurland's time travels. Might have to revisit them soon.

message 12: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
I've been meaning to read her for a while now. This gives me somewhere to start:)

message 13: by Ki (new)

Ki (kazamei) | 143 comments Eeeekkk!!! Another book to add to my list. :)

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I've read her! It's been a very long time since I've read her, but still! Lol!!